News   Apr 26, 2024
 943     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 261     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 771     0 

Yonge Street Revitalization (Downtown Yonge BIA/City of Toronto)

I think it goes back further than that... by centuries, if not millennia.

Sorry...no. You just can't trace everything back to ancient man. Duchamp's fountain was a revolutionary idea and not inspired by someone prior. Nowadays, people just aren't inspired...they just outright copy. Rebellion is another matter. But the problem with that is people are always trying to shock, and we have pretty much become immune to anything. Nothing shocks us anymore.

Not that I would have thought so at the time....but looking back this tune sticks out as one of the the quintessential 80's tunes....

[video=youtube_share;djV11Xbc914]http://youtu.be/djV11Xbc914[/video]

FCG: A-Ha's "Take On Me" reminds me of my September 1985 month-long trip by rail to VIA's Ontario-Quebec Corridor...

This song already was a hit in Canada and when I returned home to LI at the end of the month it was a US hit also...

Another song that instantly reminds me of that trip is Mister Mister's "Take These Broken Wings"...

LI MIKE

Actually, I think they began their careers as a Police cover band. But yea...they were just another 80's New Romantic, synth-pop band that sounded like Duran Duran. Honeymoon Suite was another local one in the same vein.

But there was plenty of local talent in the 80's...

Jane Sibbery
Robbie Robertson
Nash the Slash
Alannah Myles
Kim Mitchell
Alta Moda
Blue Peter
Killer Dwarfs
Blue Rodeo
Martha and the Muffins (is there a more 80's Toronto tune than Echo Beach?)
Messenjah
Red Rider
The Pursuit of Happiness
Pukka Orchestra
The Parachute Club
Rough Trade
The Sattalites
Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet
The Shuffle Demons
Gowan
Toronto
Coney Hatch
Lee Aaron
Rush
Triumph
Handsome Ned
Spoons
Chalk Circle
Teenage Head
The Tragically Hip
Helix

FCG: I definitely agree with you here - the Canadian Content Law certainly had it benefits...

With that Martha and the Muffins "Echo Beach" thought you know a tune is catchy when just the mention makes it
instantly pop into your mind...I wondered where "Echo Beach" was - being from Long Island I always thought that
it was a beach somewhere on the Atlantic coast...

LI MIKE

FCG: I definitely agree with you here - the Canadian Content Law certainly had it benefits...

With that Martha and the Muffins "Echo Beach" thought you know a tune is catchy when just the mention makes it
instantly pop into your mind...I wondered where "Echo Beach" was - being from Long Island I always thought that
it was a beach somewhere on the Atlantic coast...

LI MIKE

Yeah but it was Black Stations White Stations that made them famous. :)

Echo Beach is fictitious (although I hear it is inspired by Sunnyside Beach), but they recently built a waterfront concert venue at Ontario Place named after it.

Yeah but it was Black Stations White Stations that made them famous.

Pretty sure Echo Beach was by far their biggest (only) international hit. They also changed their name to M+M by the time BS/WS came out.

Speaking of Toronto-centric tunes, I'm pretty sure the CN Tower spawned only one song...."CN Tower" by Michaele Jordana and The Poles. This band was part of Toronto's remarkable 70's punk/new wave scene, and the more I listen to it, the more I love it. It sounds very early Blondie.

[video=youtube_share;U3JEm3ZgnYk]http://youtu.be/U3JEm3ZgnYk[/video]

Echo Beach is fictitious (although I hear it is inspired by Sunnyside Beach), but they recently built a waterfront concert venue at Ontario Place named after it.

Pretty sure Echo Beach was by far their biggest (only) international hit. They also changed their name to M+M by the time BS/WS came out.

Not true.

From Wikipedia:

The M+M years (1983 – 1986)[edit]

After the tour for This Is the Ice Age, Haas left the band over creative differences in a very public spat carried out in the "letters to the editor" column of Toronto's NOW. The band, now a quartet (Martha Johnson, Mark Gane, Jocelyne Lanois, and Nick Kent), signed to Canadian indie label Current Records, distributed by RCA.

1983's Danseparc was produced by Daniel Lanois, Gane, and Johnson. Gane, eager to drop the name "Martha and the Muffins", proposed that the group be now called "M + M". In a compromise, both names were used for a time, and the Danseparc album cover had both "M + M" and "Martha and the Muffins" printed on it.

The album's title track was another top 40 single in Canada and, for the Danseparc tour, the group was augmented by auxiliary players including guitarist Michael Brook. At the end of the tour, Gane and Johnson (now a couple) announced that, although they wanted to continue as a recording act, they also wanted to branch out in new directions by using new collaborators. In essence, Gane and Johnson decided that "M + M" was now Martha + Mark, along with studio musicians and sidemen.

The duo's 1984 album Mystery Walk was again co-produced by Daniel Lanois with Gane and Johnson, and it featured a large sticker crediting the band as "M + M o/k/a Martha and The Muffins". Guest players included drummer Yogi Horton, bassist Tinker Barfield, and the Brecker Brothers on horns.

Mystery Walk album gave M + M/Martha and the Muffins their biggest hit in years with "Black Stations/White Stations". The song was an anti-racist anthem whose first verse took radio stations to task for refusing to play a song about mixed-race romance, a story that Martha Johnson had heard related on the radio while driving in her car.

"Black Stations/White Stations" was a hit in Canada; in the United States, it reached No. 2 on the dance music charts,[1] but was ironically banned by many radio stations.[citation needed] "Cooling the Medium", the second single, was also a significant hit in Canada.
In 1985, Johnson and Gane started work on their next album in Montreal before heading to Bath, England to work with producer David Lord, resulting in the album The World is a Ball (1986). Although the lead single, "Song in My Head", garnered them some airplay (and was another top 40 hit in Canada), the album sold poorly, and Gane and Johnson subsequently moved to England for a time.

The dance chart is more obscure. Echo Beach made the top ten singles charts internationally and also won the Juno for single of the year. The rest of the universe knows this is their biggest hit. Not that I don't like BS/WS, but it's a more mid 80's arty tune, with Echo Beach being a more late 70's post punk/new wave rock-ish tune. Interesting tid bit...Daniel Lanois got his start with the band, because his sister Jocelyne was the bassist.

One thing about the 80's...it really got its gay on (or got very androgynous). Didn't it?

Kingston isn't exactly local, but like many bands that initially formed elsewhere, they became a Toronto band. I'm pretty sure they moved to Toronto before they were even signed to a label. I think they still have a recording studio outside Kingston though.

Back