News   May 02, 2024
 592     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 340     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 296     0 

Yonge Street Revitalization (Downtown Yonge BIA/City of Toronto)

Looks like a bit of a convoluted mess to me but anything is an improvement on what a dump the street is now.

Curious , what is going to happen between Gerrard & Dupont?

Looks like a bit of a convoluted mess to me but anything is an improvement on what a dump the street is now.

Curious , what is going to happen between Gerrard & Dupont?

That street section is not being examined for changes in this process.

But behind the scenes........the intent is to shave Yonge to one-lane each way all the way to York Mills.

Bike lanes are likely; along with wider sidewalks and streetscape improvements.

Last edited:
The street pavers should be in red/pink brick tones rather than grey. This town has WAY more than enough grey already.

Even tinted asphalt would help - sort of like this:
London_The_Mall_02.jpg

Not the arch. The street paving.

The street paving along The Mall was designed for horses, parades, etc. You can't really compare the two as they were made for two very different purposes.

They designed the aesthetic nature of the pavement to tie into the surrounding palaces and prominence of the road itself. It is one of the only roads paved in this manner throughout London. The Mall is more of part of Buckingham Palace than it is a major thoroughfare.

The street paving along The Mall was designed for horses, parades, etc. You can't really compare the two as they were made for two very different purposes.

They designed the aesthetic nature of the pavement to tie into the surrounding palaces and prominence of the road itself. It is one of the only roads paved in this manner throughout London. The Mall is more of part of Buckingham Palace than it is a major thoroughfare.

We're talking about tinted asphalt. It could go on any street, anywhere. And it would It look a lot better than a sad grey street.

But while we're on the topic, the Mall is actually widely used by vehicles (essentially every day unless there is some special parade or procession). Yonge (Toronto's most "prominent" street) on the other hand will be used predominantly by pedestrians and bikes. And since it was originally lined by red brick buildings, I'm not sure how tinted concrete wouldn't "tie in" to the surrounding architecture.

If you'd prefer, you could look no further than the pavers waterfront Toronto chose to use on Queen's Quay to see the difference this change to the colour of the ground plane can make.

We're talking about tinted asphalt. It could go on any street, anywhere. And it would It look a lot better than a sad grey street.

But while we're on the topic, the Mall is actually widely used by vehicles (essentially every day unless there is some special parade or procession). Yonge (Toronto's most "prominent" street) on the other hand will be used predominantly by pedestrians and bikes. And since it was originally lined by red brick buildings, I'm not sure how tinted concrete wouldn't "tie in" to the surrounding architecture.

If you'd prefer, you could look no further than the pavers waterfront Toronto chose to use on Queen's Quay to see the difference this change to the colour of the ground plane can make.

The renders for Yonge indicate that the treatment will be interlocking pavers. The suggestion seems to be 'grey'. Assuming there aren't vast differences in cost based on colour, I imagine that's an easy change at this stage.

1609081917119.png

The people to push for a red or warm tone would be the Downtown Yonge BIA; and the local Councillors.

This is a great plan, but why only Queen to College? How about from Queens Quay to St. Clair (or even Lawrence?)

This is a great plan, but why only Queen to College? How about from Queens Quay to St. Clair (or even Lawrence?)

I can see to St Clair but not Lawrence. The section of Yonge fron Queens Quay to St Clair has that upscale tourist vibe but any further north it's just another neighborhood.

Smile @Towered

A plan is coming for College to Davenport

Queen's Quay to Front is already en route (the road stays asphalt, but it will be narrowed, made more pedestrian and cyclist-friendly, with streetscape improvements.)

Downtown North York was just approved

There are plans afoot for bike lanes to Lawrence at least (probably York Mills); and there will be major streetscape improvements at Yonge/St. Clair in the not too distant future.

Can't do it all in one plan.........

Back