News   Apr 16, 2024
 222     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 693     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 480     3 

Yonge Street Revitalization (Downtown Yonge BIA/City of Toronto)

Now that the Feds are planning to spend more on infrastructure and the province is on side do you think anything will finally happen on poor old crummy Yonge Street? The South Yonge BIA sent a comprehensive report on the condition of and suggestions for improvements to Yonge last month. There is a myriad of other plans and suggestions for Yonge Street revitalization at city hall some of which go back decades. I hope we get an ambitious and comprehensive effort in the works SOON. Any chance of that happening? I've already written to the mayor.

Now that the Feds are planning to spend more on infrastructure and the province is on side do you think anything will finally happen on poor old crummy Yonge Street? The South Yonge BIA sent a comprehensive report on the condition of and suggestions for improvements to Yonge last month. There is a myriad of other plans and suggestions for Yonge Street revitalization at city hall some of which go back decades. I hope we get an ambitious and comprehensive effort in the works SOON. Any chance of that happening? I've already written to the mayor.

Yes: http://www.citynews.ca/2015/11/19/yonge-street-redesign-will-focus-on-pedestrians/

There is political will behind this. I am sure it will happen.

Thanks Greenleaf, that IS encouraging... But, 31 million $ is not going to get a whole lot done. Yonge needs help from Front to Bloor Street. Hopefully this will be the start of something very ambitious.

Given the extreme peak crowding on the Yonge line and - let's be honest - a DRL that will never happen in most of our lifetimes, I'd love to see a Yonge rebuild from Bloor to Queen's Quay that took out cars completely, widened the sidewalks by one traffic lane each, and put a streetcar with frequent service on its own ROW in the middle.

Every time a new development is shown on Yonge Downtown it always shows a very much widened Yonge and a far more pedestrian friendly and attractive one {which isn't hard because it's one of the ugliest streets in the city} so where are the plans for a new Yonge or is it all just fantasy talk?

Any news on Yonge? London is moving forward with it's My Dundas hopefully this year so what is Toronto doing?

^^^ The city still hasn't conducted an environmental assessment nor has it voted on any significant changes. Considering how plans for the John street corridor are going, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Do you know of any plans for the beginning of Yonge, opposite the Pinnacle Center at 1-7 Yonge St? It's really empty out there and it would be great to see some development.

But I thought one of the reasons they were looking about making Yonge a decent street is because there is going to be major sewage works along Yonge in the Bloor to Union section which will require a major digging up of the street. The reason I thought 2016 was the year something to Yonge was finally going to go ahead is because they wanted to coordinate the projects.

Make Yonge a pedestrian zone from Church in the north to the lake. Then make Church and Bay one way but opposite direction streets and reduce them to 3 lanes.

Build 4 rows of trees along Yonge, great lots of benches and make the entire ROW a stone lined side walk. Torontos version of the Strøget. You could allow deliveries to side streets or overnight.

I think the goal is to coordinate, but (and I might be wrong) I don't think any major sewer rehabilitation projects on Yonge are scheduled for 2016.

Back