News   Apr 23, 2024
 299     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 888     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 492     0 

Yonge Street Revitalization (Downtown Yonge BIA/City of Toronto)

Even if, for the sake of the argument, a specific music scene on one street isn't the same as it used to be, that doesn't mean that the city isn't more vibrant than it was in the 70s. Toronto is too big now for one street to matter much in the grand scheme of things. Hotspots come and go over the city - if one declines, others improve. There are far more vibrant neighbourhoods, things to do, and people doing them now than there have ever been.

...which is why the thoughtfulnessthe year of 1977 in music completely destroys the entire 21st century combined.

Are we back to this nonsense again? lol... come on man, take off the rose coloured glasses when remembering the past.

Even if, for the sake of the argument, a specific music scene on one street isn't the same as it used to be, that doesn't mean that the city isn't more vibrant than it was in the 70s. Toronto is too big now for one street to matter much in the grand scheme of things. Hotspots come and go over the city - if one declines, others improve. There are far more vibrant neighbourhoods, things to do, and people doing them now than there have ever been.

I totally agree. But that's not the point being made. The Yonge street scene has all but disappeared. And the zeitgeist that made it special didn't just move somewhere else...it doesn't exist any more for the most part.

I'll still gladly take the current Toronto sans Yonge Street.

Are we back to this nonsense again? lol... come on man, take off the rose coloured glasses when remembering the past.

I don't know what's motivating you to deny it, because it's a pretty easy point to prove. The evidence is overwhelming and you would look foolish if you maintained that position after being presented with it.

I don't know what's motivating you to deny it, because it's a pretty easy point to prove. The evidence is overwhelming and you would look foolish if you maintained that position after being presented with it.
You can prove a subjective opinion? Really? You might want to ease up on the bluster. You're not convincing anyone.

This is just a partial list of the better known talent that put out albums in 1977. Do you honestly really think that in thirty-some odd years from now, we will look at the list from 2014 and it's going to have even close to the same depth of talent?

Muddy Waters
Ramones
David Bowie
Smokey Robinson
Diana Ross
Jimmy Buffett
Pink Floyd
Buzzcocks
Santana
April Wine
Johnny Cash
Emmylou Harris
The Runaways
Sammy Hagar
ZZ Top
Fleetwood Mac
Television
Jethro Tull
The Kinks
The Damned
Gloria Gaynor
Peter Gabriel
Ultravox
Cheap Trick
The Residents
Uriah Heep
Bachman–Turner Overdrive
Bryan Ferry
Dolly Parton
Journey
Natalie Cole
Max Webster
Foreigner
T.Rex -
The Band
Marvin Gaye
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Iggy Pop
AC/DC
Rita Coolidge
Commodores
The Isley Brothers
Jeff Beck
Procol Harum
Kraftwerk
The Clash
The Beach Boys
Judas Priest
10cc
Alice Cooper
Supertramp
Cat Stevens
Sweet
Waylon Jennings
Van Morrison
Donna Summer
Heart
The Jam
Genesis
Peter Frampton
Steve Miller Band
Bee Gees
Parliament
Boney M
Burton Cummings
Dan Fogelberg
The Tubes
Roger Daltrey
The Gregg Allman Band
Bob Marley & The Wailers
Trooper
Neil Young
Barbra Streisand
Crosby, Stills & Nash
Kiss
Joan Baez
Ted Nugent
The Alan Parsons Project
James Taylor
Bette Midler
Steve Winwood
Styx
Rainbow
Village People
Yes
Elvis Costello
Grateful Dead
Bay City Rollers
Carole King
Air Supply
The Doobie Brothers
Foghat
Motörhead
Dennis Wilson
Iggy Pop
Barry White
Hall & Oates
The Animals
Cheap Trick
Johnny Winter
Ry Cooder
Rush
Jean-Luc Ponty
Thin Lizzy
Chicago
Elton John
Talking Heads
Steely Dan
The Rolling Stones
Billy Joel
Ringo Starr
The Boomtown Rats
Tom Waits
Klaatu
Linda Ronstadt
Kansas
Ultravox
Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Jacksons
Meat Loaf
Genesis
Sex Pistols
Queen
Levon Helm
Randy Newman
Santana
Electric Light Orchestra
Carpenters
Blondie
Joan Armatrading
Blue Öyster Cult
Leo Sayer
Ray Charles
Triumph
Rod Stewart
The Ramones
Earth, Wind & Fire
Chic
Leonard Cohen
Nazareth
Uriah Heep
Throbbing Gristle
Eric Clapton
Aerosmith
Neil Diamond
Scorpions
Al Green
ABBA
Roberta Flack
Joni Mitchell
Brian Eno
Wire
Keith Jarrett
Mink DeVille
Bruce Cockburn
Miles Davis
The Diodes
Eddie Money
Al Di Meola
Tangerine Dream
Peter Tosh
George Thorogood and the Destroyers
Goddo
Ella Fitzgerald
Isaac Hayes
Pablo Cruise
Prism
Bunny Wailer
Roy Orbison
Rose Royce
Kris Kristofferson
Vangelis
Willie Nelson
Lou Rawls
Crystal Gayle
Pat Metheny

That's a list with some good (and some no so good) music in it. Kind of a wasted effort though, it proves nothing.

the year of 1977 in music completely destroys the entire 21st century combined.

Do you honestly really think that in thirty-some odd years from now, we will look at the list from 2014 and it's going to have even close to the same depth of talent?
Way to move the goalposts.

That's a list with some good (and some no so good) music in it. Kind of a wasted effort though, it proves nothing

Agreed, 1000%. I was born in 1960 and though I loved many of the bands listed, in the end it's simply a list which Fresh reveres and expects everyone else to acknowledge. In terms of proving alleged quality differences in musical culture, it's spectacularly useless.

On the other hand, our man Fresh is in good company. I know a few people in my own life who fiercely hold to the same beliefs. I don't see how it would be possible to get people to ever agree on this sort of thing, really. Thankfully.

I do think Yonge Street has changed though; personally I find it has a squeakier-clean image but at street level I find it more blandly corporate and sterile. Many of the architectural elements I can get behind. But I don't think Yonge is more appealing to the masses than it was forty years ago. It's just different. The city has moved on.

This is just a partial list of the better known talent that put out albums in 1977. Do you honestly really think that in thirty-some odd years from now, we will look at the list from 2014 and it's going to have even close to the same depth of talent?

You clearly have too much free time, I hope you are not going to be compiling annual lists from now on. As MisterF says "it proves nothing".

Agreed, 1000%. I was born in 1960 and though I loved many of the bands listed, in the end it's simply a list which Fresh reveres and expects everyone else to acknowledge. In terms of proving alleged quality differences in musical culture, it's spectacularly useless.

On the other hand, our man Fresh is in good company. I know a few people in my own life who fiercely hold to the same beliefs. I don't see how it would be possible to get people to ever agree on this sort of thing, really. Thankfully.

Yet people do often agree on these things, it just takes a little time and perspective. I think we could agree for example that the 'great American song book' era of the 1930s to 1960s was a golden age in popular music too, one without parallel. It's pretty objective. Fresh may be pinpointing somewhat specifically but so what, I appreciate the conviction... and as for comparing today with Fresh's year? No question, it pales today according to almost any metric you want to consider. This doesn't mean there aren't amazing artists working out there, some great music too, only that it's no golden age - that i can think of at least, though willing to consider someone's argument!!

You clearly have too much free time, I hope you are not going to be compiling annual lists from now on. As MisterF says "it proves nothing".

Actually it does. A list is fairly objective. He took the time to lay it out there rather than just harp on about it. If you'd like to counter that list with something objective be our guest.

Toronto wasn't just 'one street' back then either... and we're not just talking about one significant music venue closing after many years, there are many of them now defunct and what's replacing them? Condos and tapas restaurants, which are the new 'hot spots' today.

Like I said...the more you squirm, the more ignorant you look.

I'm not saying you should stop listening to Kesha, Taylor Swift, JayZ or Vampire Weekend...I'm just saying it's obvious Eric Clapton isn't playing guitar for their bands.

In the pre-internet, pre-digital recording, pre-autotune, pre-twitter account world, you had to work a little harder.

And Yonge Street right now is simply in a bad place because it's in the middle of a transition from low-rent district to.....whatever. When the Gasworks turns into a dollar store, it isn't an "alleged quality difference in culture"....it's a downgrade. And like my above list...not a subjective opinion....but as close to an empirical fact as you can get.

Yet you list Air Supply!

Thanks for the list, now I at least know what you think is important. But I don't find it at all empircal. Seems to me you're just lamenting a past age, romanticizing it to make yourself feel good for having enjoyed your youth during that period. And why shouldn't you?

But tastes in pop culture remain subjective. This is not a science! music is about as personal as it gets.

Agreed with you about Autotune, however. And how hard bands have to work to generate buzz. But in the end, talent still is about hard work and a certain amount of luck - right place, right time stuff. That hasn't changed.

Last edited:
Actually it does. A list is fairly objective. He took the time to lay it out there rather than just harp on about it. If you'd like to counter that list with something objective be our guest.
I don't want to speak for DSC, but I for one am not about to waste time posting a list of music recorded in the last 14 years. Such a tit for tat argument would be endless and pointless and would prove nothing. Such is the subjective nature of art.

Toronto wasn't just 'one street' back then either... and we're not just talking about one significant music venue closing after many years, there are many of them now defunct and what's replacing them? Condos and tapas restaurants, which are the new 'hot spots' today.
No of course it wasn't, but there are far more lively neighbourhoods and main streets now than there were back then, and far more residents going out to far more businesses. Music venues have also opened in recent years. As for condos and tapas, people do need places to live. Are tapas restaurants inferior to concert venues (never mind that plenty of places do both)? Concert halls are just a small piece of the urban vitality puzzle.

Like I said...the more you squirm, the more ignorant you look.
You make transparently ridiculous claims and I'm the one who's ignorant? lol...just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

I'm not saying you should stop listening to Kesha, Taylor Swift, JayZ or Vampire Weekend...I'm just saying it's obvious Eric Clapton isn't playing guitar for their bands.
Nobody you're arguing with listens to any of those...well, except for Clapton I guess. Let's try to avoid resorting to straw men to support our arguments.

And Yonge Street right now is simply in a bad place because it's in the middle of a transition from low-rent district to.....whatever. When the Gasworks turns into a dollar store, it isn't an "alleged quality difference in culture"....it's a downgrade. And like my above list...not a subjective opinion....but as close to an empirical fact as you can get.
What you've described is the very definition of a subjective opinion. And dwelling on specific cases like the Gasworks is missing the forest for the trees.

Yet you list Air Supply!

Isn't it more about the depth and breadth of the list though, high brow and low?

Pop music may not get your respect but it achieved something in its ubiquity that more niche genres didn't, it provided a constantly changing, shared cultural soundtrack. Who can't pinpoint personal memories and milestone events to the 'top 40' hits that played? Even in today's supposedly more sophisticated age the odd 'Call Me Maybe' or 'Happy' moment crops up as some sort of cultural throw-back phenomenon (called an internet meme today).

Thanks for the list, now I at least know what you think is important. But I don't find it at all empircal.

I don't want to speak for DSC, but I for one am not about to waste time posting a list of music recorded in the last 14 years. Such a tit for tat argument would be endless and pointless and would prove nothing. Such is the subjective nature of art.

I think the challenge was to pick one single year, as Fresh did. I don't know, I guess I'm just not understanding how a list isn't empirical? It speaks for itself, it's not about personal taste at all. You compare the lists and can start to have a real conversation rather than just dismissing people as sappy old nostalgics.

And dwelling on specific cases like the Gasworks is missing the forest for the trees.

On the contrary, discussing places like Sam the Record Man, the Gasworks or El MO or so many many more is to allude to the wider cultural movements that gathered and interacted there (music, fashion, political ideology, cultural identity, sexuality), the cultural 'forests' so to speak. These places aren't closing and being replaced by newer venues that have the same cultural impact, they're closing for the very reasons that the music industry is limping: iTunes... so if tapas restaurants are the new cultural hotspots it's because a smart phone can't serve up a hot meal (yet):

No of course it wasn't, but there are far more lively neighbourhoods and main streets now than there were back then, and far more residents going out to far more businesses. Music venues have also opened in recent years. As for condos and tapas, people do need places to live. Are tapas restaurants inferior to concert venues (never mind that plenty of places do both)? Concert halls are just a small piece of the urban vitality puzzle.

Yes, the city is bigger, busier and glossier today, no question. This absolutely does read as vibrant and urbanely vital, but according to a very specific and modern definition only and one that is largely consumerist. The point is not that Toronto today isn't vibrant, only that Toronto in the past was too but for different reasons and for arguably better and more meaningful reasons.

Tewder: I am not dismissing Fresh as a sappy old nostalgic - those are your terms, not mine. I happen to like many of the same bands as he does. In fact, I write a music blog which often explores that very same era. Much as I believe I understand where Fresh is coming from on the music front, I'm just saying he's merely presented a list of musical preferences, not proof of musical superiority. How can you expect 20 and 30 somethings to bow down to that list and say, yep, music sure was better then? I mean, come on.

As for Air Supply, I find 'em vapid. But I should have included a winkie - the thing is, I don't expect others to adore the same music as myself and I expect others will view my own preferences accordingly. Like I said, music is hugely personal. I think this derailment of a thread is proof of that!

Yet you list Air Supply!

Why are we harping on Air Supply?

That isn't a list of my preferences...it's just a snapshot of well known, mainstream musical talent that released albums in 1977.... Soft rock was simply one of many genres at the time, and Air Supply just happens to be one of them, and with over 100 million albums sold, I can hardly leave them off the list. Air Supply doesn't change anything about the other 175 artists on the list (and to my credit I did leave Donny Osmond, the Justin Bieber of the day off my list).

Back