News   Jul 15, 2024
 782     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 925     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 640     0 

Yonge Street Revitalization (Downtown Yonge BIA/City of Toronto)

Christians are never represented fairly, thus it's not surprising that they've become the counter culture.

Are you being serious?? You do realize that some 80% of Americans identify themselves as 'christian' right? This hardly constitutes a counterculture. For the record, only some 12 to 15% identify themselves as having no religious 'affiliation' (which is not the same as identifying as atheist/agnostic, by the way, which is a far smaller percentile)… looking at these stats it is beyond absurd to portray christians as a disadvantaged or unfairly marginalized group in society. In fact, it is downright insensitive to groups that truly are marginalized (try being an American 'without god' and see how embraced you are there!). The scary thing is that some christians are buying into this sort of victimization propaganda, that some christian politicos and media wonks are fuelling it (ever listen to Michael Coren?)… and it's scary because the underlaying objective is to quietly foment a 'tyranny of the majority' type of backlash against those who dare to want to be treated equally in society.

Who do you think are the ones going to the Middle East and Africa and helping starving people and those dying from AIDS (missionaries)? Christians do more charitable work than any other group

Yes, it's called proselytization. You can get all the help you need, if you accept a bible along with it.

Atheism is largely antagonistic towards anyone who believes in God.

Rubbish! Atheism is antagonistic to the power structure of religion in society and to those in the cultural majority who want to force their 'God' beliefs on others. They've had a lot of that! Otherwise, why shouldn't atheists be more than happy to live side by side with christians or anyone else? They already do!! No matter what 'war on religion' nonsense you are hearing people of non-religion do not have an issue with the beliefs of others, they do have a problem when those beliefs infringe on the rights and freedoms of others. Period.

The above are just two examples of how out of touch many atheists and liberals are with history.

Wow, i'm shaking my head at the irony here. Anyway… very off topic so i will go back to enjoying the music debate. Peace.

Though one could argue that the teachings of Christ is what set the slaves free.

Nah..it was that massive civil war that freed the slaves. And jesus is a mythical supernatural being...a fictional story (and not a very original or good one either).

Now how the hell do you segue from jesus to Yonge St to stay on topic????

Easy....jesus in abandoning Yonge St (got tired of living next to a gay strip bar?)...the Yonge St Mission has sold it's building and will be gone by 2016...anybody know what is happening with that building? Is it part of that proposed new mall or something?

Speaking of Yonge as a ped mall....here's 1972 with Yonge as a ped mall, complete with jesus, next to go-go girls, next to grindhouse theatre.

828777215_79b8d2b565_o.jpg

Attachments

• 828777215_79b8d2b565_o.jpg
    828777215_79b8d2b565_o.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 620
Last edited:
Yonge Street, or parts of it anyway, would be amazing as a pedestrian street. It has some of the most crowded and inadequate sidewalks in the city. Four lanes of traffic just don't belong there.

Let's not get carried away with the Tool and Zeppelin comparison. Does Tool write anything besides abstract rock songs? Zeppelin's catalogue is as diverse as it gets. It's hard to believe that the same band wrote songs like That's The Way and The Wanton Song. Tool's version of No Quarter is also pretty bad, in my opinion. Maynard James Keenan is probably the most overrated vocalist of all time. He is so monotone. Zeppelin's chemistry is unmatched. Each band member is arguably the greatest that ever existed, in their respective roles.
What a ballsy decision it was to write Led Zeppelin III, after the heavy hitting first two albums. Their music was always changing and impossible to pigeonhole. That's the mark of a truly creative and daring band.
Yeah like I said it's a strange comparison. And a lot of what you say is true, Zeppelin were more diverse, including vocally. But Zeppelin didn't the same intricate drumwork and their songs didn't tend to have as much of the "epic journey" quality to them. The two bands bring something different to the table. I'm just saying that Zeppelin weren't the untouchable rock gods they're made out to be.

Dave Grohl seems like a nice guy. John Homme is a pretty foul mouthed person -- so yes, exactly the type you'd expect at a kid's soccer game. The times I've listened to him speak, he sounded like a really pissed off guy. Grohl, though pretty foul at times too, still comes across as a genuinely positive person. Japandroids?
Just who I happened to be listening to when I wrote that. You should check them out, I have a feeling you won't like them but you never know. If emotion is what you're after maybe something along the lines of the Gaslight Anthem would be more up your alley.

OM effing G!!

Go back and look at it. I reply to your quote. Then about 6 lines down comes the "more 1977 teasers", which is continuation of the "1977 teasers" started in a previous post. Between that and the title of the teasers, it's pretty clear. Since I've already explained that to you once and you still want to argue about it, I'm going to have to insist you sit at the kiddy table from now on. Stick that in your smug little emoticon face.
3 lines actually. Funny how everyone here at the kiddy table knows how to count. :cool: :eek: :rolleyes: In any case, in a thread where you're repeatedly extolling the virtues of 1977 and saying how long the list of amazing music from that year is, why on earth post a list of bands you don't think are any good?

Typing it doesn't make it so. I can't imagine anybody agreeing with you. Find me anyone who would list Tool members even remotely close to Zep members...lead guitarists, bassists. drummers, front men. Same with albums. I can't believe I'm even entertaining such an absurd argument.
Well I don't know why you're so focused on what other people think, but google it. You'll find lots of people who think that Carey is a better drummer than Bonham or that Plant's constant babys and oooohhhhs got a little tiresome (I'm not one of them). And you'll find even more who think that both bands were hugely different and who was technically better at playing their instrument is irrelevant.

It's interesting and ironic that liberals go to great lengths to absolve or overlook the evils of Islam (yes, there are many lovely muslims people too) and call it a religion of peace (though there have apparently been some 21, 000+ acts of terrorism in the name of Islam since 9-11, alone).
Islam isn't the dominant religion in our society, it makes no sense to focus on it any more than to focus on the religion of an Amazon tribe. But since you brought it up, both Christianity and Islam have massively violent histories and their holy books condone the worst kind of violence that we as a society have grown out of. We're a largely peaceful society today because we stopped letting Christianity tell us what to do. Christianity, in response, has become much more moderate to stay in line with society at large.

Freedom of conscience, freedom of religion, freedom of thought, freedom of belief, freedom of expression. Those are pretty Christian concepts.
No, these concepts were all fought by Christian churches. The Bible has strict penalties for sins like freedom of religion. Of course, most Christians interpret those sections as outdated (if they even know they exist), but they're still there.

Last edited:
Who do you think are the ones going to the Middle East and Africa and helping starving people and those dying from AIDS (missionaries)? Christians do more charitable work than any other group

Giving someone a sandwich so they will listen to your lies doesn't fit my definition of "charity". They don't call it a "mission" for nothing eh.

Funny how everyone here at the kiddy table knows how to count.

An adult would have admitted to their error.

in a thread where you're repeatedly extolling the virtues of 1977 and saying how long the list of amazing music from that year is, why on earth post a list of bands you don't think are any good?

Obviously your reading comprehension is terrible. Again...it isn't a list of who I think is good or not good. And I haven't bothered to list what I (or posterity) thinks is the best of 1977 because I had no intention of blowing my wad up front.

It's nice to know that folks on this board are giving their due consideration to timely wad-blowing. Bodes well for all future discourse.

Dylan an iconoclast? Didn't he have his own 'coming to Jesus' moment? That totally ruins his cred. I'm sure that's something most of his liberal fan base would like to ignore.

It doesn't work that way, RLS. You don't get to glibly fire off patently silly statements and then direct people not to bother responding to it. You know better than that.

About Dylan and his supposedly "liberal" fan base. First time I'm hearing that they're all liberals. Wow, nice broad brush there. How did you manage to even lift it? So if an iconoclast has a come to Jesus moment, it ruins all cred? Really. Another thing I didn't know.

Dylan's had many odd turns - they haven't altered his long-term cred one iota. I mean, among his pinko libtard fan base, that is.

Fresh: Ronnie James Dio was a great singer but to me Sabbath was always about Ozzy being in the band. It wouldn't be Sabbath otherwise. It'd be like... Yonge Street without the cheap storefronts.

I was being facetious about Dylan.

Are you being serious?? You do realize that some 80% of Americans identify themselves as 'christian' right? This hardly constitutes a counterculture. For the record, only some 12 to 15% identify themselves as having no religious 'affiliation' (which is not the same as identifying as atheist/agnostic, by the way, which is a far smaller percentile)… looking at these stats it is beyond absurd to portray christians as a disadvantaged or unfairly marginalized group in society. In fact, it is downright insensitive to groups that truly are marginalized (try being an American 'without god' and see how embraced you are there!). The scary thing is that some christians are buying into this sort of victimization propaganda, that some christian politicos and media wonks are fuelling it (ever listen to Michael Coren?)… and it's scary because the underlaying objective is to quietly foment a 'tyranny of the majority' type of backlash against those who dare to want to be treated equally in society.

Yes, it's called proselytization. You can get all the help you need, if you accept a bible along with it.

Rubbish! Atheism is antagonistic to the power structure of religion in society and to those in the cultural majority who want to force their 'God' beliefs on others. They've had a lot of that! Otherwise, why shouldn't atheists be more than happy to live side by side with christians or anyone else? They already do!! No matter what 'war on religion' nonsense you are hearing people of non-religion do not have an issue with the beliefs of others, they do have a problem when those beliefs infringe on the rights and freedoms of others. Period.

Wow, i'm shaking my head at the irony here. Anyway… very off topic so i will go back to enjoying the music debate. Peace.

Lots of people identify as Christian because their may be a link somewhere in their past. Many people are also Jewish, yet aren't remotely religious (Bill Maher and Larry David for example). I don't honestly believe that 80% of Americans are devout Christians. Saying one is a Christian and simply going to church doesn't make that so. Religious associations are loosely thrown around. It's impossible to measure who is devout and who pays lip service to a particular faith. And I do believe Christians are the counter culture. They're marginalized and mocked more than any minority group via comedians, Hollywood, television, mainstream news, and everyday people. Being an "American without God" would get you lots of praise in New York City, Los Angeles -- pretty much any urban area -- in rural areas that would be a different story (though not all country bumpkins are religious). If 80% of Americans are Christians, why does Obama insist that America is not a Christian nation? I do believe there are plenty of Christians in America, but 80% is pushing it. Most of the population lives in cities, and they tend to be have more liberal demographics.
What propaganda? Watch what happens when one says they believe the true definition of marriage consists of a man and a woman. Damian Goddard, formerly of SportsNet, literally said those very words in a tweet and he was fired because of that. That violated his right to freely express himself without punishment. I have yet to hear a case of the opposite happening. Remember how Tim Tebow was laughed at a couple of years ago because he expressed his love for God? Even I think he was a bit over the top with how frequently he referenced Jesus, but so what? The man was made out to be a clown. His exceptional play was overshadowed by his faith. Now if one's an athlete (and a mediocre ones at that) coming out of the closet, they will get a personal phone call from Obama or the First Lady. Good on Jason Collins and Michael Sam for being who they are (though I question their timing and motives -- looking for new contracts), but it's absurd that they were personally called by Obama and the First Lady. Most gay people probably believe so as well. I bet neither Barack or Michelle has called a single family of the fallen soldiers from the stupid, useless war in Afghanistan. They are the definition of "brave". Perspective is really screwy these days. If you really believe that Michael Coren wants to instigate a violent backlash I think you're out to lunch. Unfortunately, I do believe there will be a backlash, but it will be because of examples like the Damian Goddard one above. People are eventually going to grow sick of being told what they can and cannot say/believe and things are going to get dirty. I believe that is inevitable. Being fired for stating an opinion is unconstitutional and tyrannical. Speaking of forcing beliefs on others...

What is wrong with proselytization? There's nothing wrong with trying to persuade others -- that's what debates are about. What harm is there in giving someone a bible of piece of literature? People have the freedom to refuse the offer. Christ asks for His followers to spread His message -- which is actually very good and full of love. What is wrong is forcing one's beliefs on another person and telling them they're bad and are going to go to hell if they don't follow suit. Don't lump the two together. And how do you know what missionaries do and say?

Again, where do you get this idea of Christians forcing their beliefs on others? Has this personally happened to you or are you basing this on biased news coverage, books, articles, movies...? What is your definition of force in this context? Handing out pamphlets in Dundas Square? Are you confusing force with offering? Be serious, how often are people held against their will for refusing some religious token? This sounds like hyperbole to me. An example of force is having to subsidize Pride parades. No one has a choice to say, 'I accept your right to hold a parade, but I don't want to put my money towards it'. There's no room for civil detachment. If one refuses to lionize such an event, they're bullied with absurd and unfounded 'homophobia' remarks. That is force. And yes, sometimes Christians and other faith groups can be forceful; and they're wrong for doing so.
Atheists should be happy to live side by side with Christians and others and vice versa. I'm not against that. Don't act as if atheists never go out of their way to insult Christians. Both parties can be guilty of such. Ideally, we could all live and let live.

Nah..it was that massive civil war that freed the slaves. And jesus is a mythical supernatural being...a fictional story (and not a very original or good one either).

Now how the hell do you segue from jesus to Yonge St to stay on topic????

Easy....jesus in abandoning Yonge St (got tired of living next to a gay strip bar?)...the Yonge St Mission has sold it's building and will be gone by 2016...anybody know what is happening with that building? Is it part of that proposed new mall or something?

Speaking of Yonge as a ped mall....here's 1972 with Yonge as a ped mall, complete with jesus, next to go-go girls, next to grindhouse theatre.

View attachment 22993

Well you proved by point about not understanding this part of history. Jesus did in fact exist. Non-religious texts will confirm this. It isn't debatable.

Jesus isn't original? No other prophet claimed to be the Son of God. That is unique to Jesus. And the bible isn't a story; it consists of many books. Why has it sold more copies than any other piece of literature if it's so dull? It sure makes a lot of people curious at the very least.

Jesus never abandoned gay people, nor will He ever. I don't understand the hatred for Him. He loves gay people and atheists as much as anyone else. I guess it's the whole judegment thing that throws certain people off? Even Christians will be judged. But since you don't believe that the bible isn't true, you have nothing to worry about.

Yonge Street, or parts of it anyway, would be amazing as a pedestrian street. It has some of the most crowded and inadequate sidewalks in the city. Four lanes of traffic just don't belong there.

Yeah like I said it's a strange comparison. And a lot of what you say is true, Zeppelin were more diverse, including vocally. But Zeppelin didn't the same intricate drumwork and their songs didn't tend to have as much of the "epic journey" quality to them. The two bands bring something different to the table. I'm just saying that Zeppelin weren't the untouchable rock gods they're made out to be.

Just who I happened to be listening to when I wrote that. You should check them out, I have a feeling you won't like them but you never know. If emotion is what you're after maybe something along the lines of the Gaslight Anthem would be more up your alley.

3 lines actually. Funny how everyone here at the kiddy table knows how to count. :cool: :eek: :rolleyes: In any case, in a thread where you're repeatedly extolling the virtues of 1977 and saying how long the list of amazing music from that year is, why on earth post a list of bands you don't think are any good?

Well I don't know why you're so focused on what other people think, but google it. You'll find lots of people who think that Carey is a better drummer than Bonham or that Plant's constant babys and oooohhhhs got a little tiresome (I'm not one of them). And you'll find even more who think that both bands were hugely different and who was technically better at playing their instrument is irrelevant.

Islam isn't the dominant religion in our society, it makes no sense to focus on it any more than to focus on the religion of an Amazon tribe. But since you brought it up, both Christianity and Islam have massively violent histories and their holy books condone the worst kind of violence that we as a society have grown out of. We're a largely peaceful society today because we stopped letting Christianity tell us what to do. Christianity, in response, has become much more moderate to stay in line with society at large.

No, these concepts were all fought by Christian churches. The Bible has strict penalties for sins like freedom of religion. Of course, most Christians interpret those sections as outdated (if they even know they exist), but they're still there.

John Bonham's drum work was incredible and very intricate (Four Sticks immediately comes to mind). Intricacy isn't what matters most though. Bonham had a groove that I haven't heard in other drummers. Danny Carey, though technically good, sounds like a machine. As for "epic journeys" in Zeppelin songs, I can name quite a few: Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Dazed and Confused, How Many More Times, Whole Lotta Love, The Lemon Song, Friends, Since I've Been Loving You, Gallows Pole, The Battle of Evermore, Stairway to Heaven, The Song Remains The Same, The Rain Song, No Quarter, In My Time of Dying, In The Light, Kashmir, Ten Years Gone, Achilles' Last Stand, Tea For One, etc. Those songs all have a pretty "epic" nature. I haven't listened to all of Tool's output, so I can't fairly compare the two.

I look for all sorts of feelings in music. I just wish more would center around the beauty of love. That's why Zeppelin is so great. That balance of light and shade in their music is amazing. It's amazing that the same band wrote something as heavy hitting and savage as Immigrant Song, and also produced the sublime, Bron yr aur (Physical Graffiti -- not to be confused with Bron-Y-Aur Stomp from Zeppelin III). From what I've listened to and gathered, Tool has never, nor would they, ever attempt to write something as sensitive as the latter; lest they be called sissies. From my experience, Tool fans are really macho guys that want music to be about complex time signatures and skull bashing riffage. I quickly become tired of repetition in music. I really dislike Radiohead (namely, Thom Yorke), but they are constantly pushing themselves to try new things, and that is respectable. They don't care if he lose fans along the way.

I'll check out your song recommendation.

Islam is far more prominent in our culture than Amazonian river god worshipers. Its message is also unmerciful to people with different beliefs. Christians aren't blowing up buildings and going on massacres -- which is everyday life in the Middle East. Most Christians are extremely passive and civil; which is what makes them such easy targets for ridicule from everyday people and comedians. You rarely hear jokes about Muhammad. There is no hesitance to insult Christians because there is no fear of a backlash.
Acts of terrorism have been committed in the name of Christianity in bygone eras -- and even hatred is sometimes spewed by Christians in modern times -- but what is important to note is that these people did/do these things despite their faith. There is nothing in The New Testament that condones violence or hatred. Islam, on the other hand, actually demands that infidels/gays be either converted or killed. But people are either too ignorant or cowardly to question this barbaric mentality. You're choosing examples from The Old Testament, which is the jewish holy book/law code. The Old Testament is to be viewed through the prism of the New Testament. Christ didn't approve of slavery, violence or hatred towards thy fellow man. He expects us to love everyone like we do ourselves. No one person is better than another in the eyes of Jesus. The reason why Christianity is so misconceptualized is largely because it is associated with Mississippi Burning, Alex Jones type lunatics, via Hollywood.

These concepts aren't fought by Christian churches. What is your evidence for this? Have you ever been to church? Thou shalt have no other god before me. In that sense, yes, worshiping another idol is punishable by death; so is stealing, and adultery. God still granted people free will to accept Him or deny Him. You have a choice to live your life however you want to. Why do atheists get so upset about God's judgement? If you don't believe in Him, and reject what is written in the bible, then what's there to worry about? They should be unphased and able to laugh off the scriptures. Who cares if others believe it is true? You'll never be coerced to adopt such beliefs.

Giving someone a sandwich so they will listen to your lies doesn't fit my definition of "charity". They don't call it a "mission" for nothing eh.

How do you know what missionaries do? It's easy to criticize others without lifting a finger of your own to help others in need. Donating to some African charity isn't the same (resources often don't even end up where they are actually needed) as personally investing one's own time and efforts in a tangible manner. Missionaries sacrifice their personal lives to help others, and for no reward. They have nothing to gain from their actions -- they do it out of the own goodness in their hearts. Many of them leave behind their families for months/years at a time. That is true sacrifice and compassion. It is utterly selfless. Why are you so cynical; regardless of your stance on God? Why do you assume (without any evidence) that there is an ulterior motive that is driving certain to do noble things for others? Do you not believe that there is any goodness in the hearts of Christians? If so, I feel really sorry for you.

Can we all just agree that no one wins the argument and move on? I'll even let you guys have the last word.

Last edited:
Well you proved by point about not understanding this part of history. Jesus did in fact exist. Non-religious texts will confirm this. It isn't debatable.

Not a single historian, philosopher, scribe or follower who lived before or during the alleged time of jesus ever mentions him. All documents about jesus came well after the life of the alleged jesus from either unknown authors, people who had never met an earthly Jesus, or from fraudulent, mythical or allegorical writings.

But even if we go ahead and grant the fact that christian cults are based on an actual human being wandering early 1st century Galilee, how does that prove the supernatural? The supernatural doesn't exist...period. That pretty much covers everything...gods, talking snakes and prophesized messiahs. I don't know what particular christian group you belong to, but "christianity" as you know it, is a 4th century invention.

Jesus isn't original? No other prophet claimed to be the Son of God. That is unique to Jesus.

Jesus is just the most famous messiah claimant. Although we tend to put the modern ones in the nut house, there have been plenty since before the alleged jesus. (And that's before we even get into the pagan gods with the same "born of a virgin, etc" story).
(4 BCE) Simon of Peraea: King of the Jews; son of Joseph; rose from the dead after three days. If your jesus did in fact exist, he would have certainly heard of him.

He loves gay people

That's fantastic...so why don't christians then???????

(I get the feeling this is where I'm going to get an interesting definition of what you mean by "love")

I'll leave the last word to Woody Allen...."If jesus came back today and saw what was going on in his name...he'd never stop throwing up".

Does UT even have mods anymore because if it does they are missing in action. STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Yonge does have some unique character building but most are run down and no one will spend the money upgrading them with Yonge in it's current situation. Most people who go to Yonge due so by transit so are pedestrians and Yonge is as unpedestrian friendly as you are going to get. The city seems to have gone out of it's way to ensure a stroll down Yonge is a crowded, unpleasant, and tiresome affair.

Businesses aren't going to put any money into their buildings until the city does the same. The city may bitch about there being so many ugly building on Yonge but then what can they expect, Yonge is a very ugly street.

STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Whining isn't on topic either. We are talking about jesus on Yonge St...so it is on topic...K?

Here's an article on Yonge St by the Toronto Star in 1910....

Yonge Street might have been very appropriately named Toronto street, for of all our great thoroughfares it is most characteristic of ourselves. It is narrow, and is allowed to remain narrow, which indicates the tendency of the Queen City to let its expansion take care of itself — our civic motto being, “Sufficient unto the day is the foresight thereof.” And, by the way, there are some who may consider the narrowness of our greatest street to be symbolic of moral narrowness also.

Then the crowd that you see in Yonge street at any hour is a typical Toronto crowd. It jostles you considerably, but it is very kind-hearted. It strolls up and down at noon-hour and in the evening after the time-honoured village custom — showing that Toronto has still something of the village spirit.

But it is a busy crowd, too, composed entirely of workers. Everybody in Yonge street is either going to or from work, resting from work, or shopping — the hardest work of all. And Yonge street has the biggest, busiest stores in Canada, as becomes the leading street of the city whose people are the busiest and most comfortable in the land.

An adult would have admitted to their error.
Obviously your reading comprehension is terrible. Again...it isn't a list of who I think is good or not good. And I haven't bothered to list what I (or posterity) thinks is the best of 1977 because I had no intention of blowing my wad up front.
You mean the six lines that are actually three? lol. So much hostility. How's your blood pressure?

John Bonham's drum work was incredible and very intricate (Four Sticks immediately comes to mind). Intricacy isn't what matters most though. Bonham had a groove that I haven't heard in other drummers. Danny Carey, though technically good, sounds like a machine. As for "epic journeys" in Zeppelin songs, I can name quite a few: Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Dazed and Confused, How Many More Times, Whole Lotta Love, The Lemon Song, Friends, Since I've Been Loving You, Gallows Pole, The Battle of Evermore, Stairway to Heaven, The Song Remains The Same, The Rain Song, No Quarter, In My Time of Dying, In The Light, Kashmir, Ten Years Gone, Achilles' Last Stand, Tea For One, etc. Those songs all have a pretty "epic" nature. I haven't listened to all of Tool's output, so I can't fairly compare the two.
Four sticks is indeed impressive and intricate. But is it 47 time signature changes in one song intricate? "Groove" is probably more of an appropriate term for Zeppelin than Tool for sure. As for epic journeys, almost all of Tool's songs could be described that way. Long instrumental sequences that slowly build to multiple climaxes, within songs that tell a progressing narrative. I guess I'm just playing devil's advocate here. Zeppelin pioneered so much in rock, but the innovations didn't stop in 1980. Other artists have built on that legacy.

I look for all sorts of feelings in music. I just wish more would center around the beauty of love. That's why Zeppelin is so great. That balance of light and shade in their music is amazing. It's amazing that the same band wrote something as heavy hitting and savage as Immigrant Song, and also produced the sublime, Bron yr aur (Physical Graffiti -- not to be confused with Bron-Y-Aur Stomp from Zeppelin III). From what I've listened to and gathered, Tool has never, nor would they, ever attempt to write something as sensitive as the latter; lest they be called sissies. From my experience, Tool fans are really macho guys that want music to be about complex time signatures and skull bashing riffage.
That couldn't be further from the truth. Every Tool fan I know is also a fan of the greats from the 70s. Some are fans of classical music or mindless pop. People are more complex than you give them credit for. Tool have never been worried about being called sissies or just skull bashing riffage. This isn't Skid Row we're talking about. There's no shortage of feeling in their music, it's just a different feeling than you're looking for. Mind you, they did do Wings for Marie/10,000 Days. Noone could accuse that piece of lacking emotion, especially if you know about the subject matter (and at 17 minutes it's quite the journey).

Mind you, if you're looking for that kind of feeling you'd be better off looking at Maynard's other band A Perfect Circle. Songs like Brena, 3 Libras, A Stranger, and By and Down.

Islam is far more prominent in our culture than Amazonian river god worshipers. Its message is also unmerciful to people with different beliefs. Christians aren't blowing up buildings and going on massacres -- which is everyday life in the Middle East. Most Christians are extremely passive and civil; which is what makes them such easy targets for ridicule from everyday people and comedians. You rarely hear jokes about Muhammad. There is no hesitance to insult Christians because there is no fear of a backlash.
Acts of terrorism have been committed in the name of Christianity in bygone eras -- and even hatred is sometimes spewed by Christians in modern times -- but what is important to note is that these people did/do these things despite their faith. There is nothing in The New Testament that condones violence or hatred. Islam, on the other hand, actually demands that infidels/gays be either converted or killed. But people are either too ignorant or cowardly to question this barbaric mentality. You're choosing examples from The Old Testament, which is the jewish holy book/law code. The Old Testament is to be viewed through the prism of the New Testament. Christ didn't approve of slavery, violence or hatred towards thy fellow man. He expects us to love everyone like we do ourselves. No one person is better than another in the eyes of Jesus. The reason why Christianity is so misconceptualized is largely because it is associated with Mississippi Burning, Alex Jones type lunatics, via Hollywood.
Christianity is an easy target because it's so central to our society - it governed every aspect of every Western culture until modern times. The church doesn't have that kind of control anymore, but you better believe it fought to keep that power. We're not a traditionally Muslim society so it makes no sense for people critical of religion to focus on it. It's a red herring.

Christianity, like Islam, was used to justify countless atrocities over the last 1700 years or so. I'm aware of the separation between the New and Old Testaments. But the point is that separation is just an interpretation of the Bible. Muslims would tell you the same thing, that the more violent parts of the Quran don't apply, are there for historical context, etc. But the fact is the violence is there and has been used to justify countless atrocities over the centuries. Most traditionally Christian countries have moved past that in the modern era while the Muslim world has big problems, but that's a relatively recent phenomenon. 500 years ago it was the opposite. Christians were the petty, warring barbarians while Muslims were busy advancing technology, preserving Greek and Roman information, and tolerating other religions. One religion is no more enlightened than the other, they're actually very similar.

These concepts aren't fought by Christian churches. What is your evidence for this? Have you ever been to church? Thou shalt have no other god before me. In that sense, yes, worshiping another idol is punishable by death; so is stealing, and adultery. God still granted people free will to accept Him or deny Him. You have a choice to live your life however you want to. Why do atheists get so upset about God's judgement? If you don't believe in Him, and reject what is written in the bible, then what's there to worry about? They should be unphased and able to laugh off the scriptures. Who cares if others believe it is true? You'll never be coerced to adopt such beliefs.
Christian churches fought every advancement that they thought was sinful or threatened their power. They fought non-religious literature, scientific discoveries, and even banned translating the Bible into English. In more recent times, churches led the fight against same sex marriage. In more religious parts of the world, churches continually attempt to influence lawmaking and politics, which subjects others to their beliefs. Non-believers are being coerced to adopting Christian beliefs.

Yes I've been to church, many hundreds of times, and I know the story well. My point was that ideas you might consider Christian were around long before Christianity or gained popularity in spite of it. Freedom of religion, thought, and expression aren't Christian ideas at all.

Last edited:
Create two new topics: "Toronto's 70s/80s Music Scene" and "Religions"

Everyone: What we need here is two new topics here to be separated from the "Yonge Street Downtown" topic comments...

I would suggest "Toronto Music Scene - 70s and 80s" and "Religion: Christianity and other Faiths" for the two new topic titles...

I will comment briefly on all three of these topics:

First - Yonge Street - Downtown: I have always found Yonge Street thru Downtown interesting is that it is a full four lane roadway
throughout its length and that parking on it is not permitted...I like the idea of a pedestrian walk or transit way but I also feel that
a paralleling N/S street should be upgraded to accommodate the traffic that would be routed off of Yonge - could Church or Jarvis
fit that bill? If any part of Yonge becomes pedestrian and/or transit only the Yonge/Dundas area paralleling the Eaton Centre would
probably be the best section...

Second: Some of my best Toronto memories was listening to the Canadian rock bands that I was learning about...

At first I was not a fan of the Canadian Content Law but as I learned it does have its advantages...I liked to listen to Q107 probably
the most and this example comes to mind: I heard Goddo's "Under My Hat" and liked it right from the start and after hearing more
Goddo songs I went out and not only did I see Goddo in concert - in a Yonge Street club no less - I went out and bought each of their
albums - in short I became a fan! And...Triumph, Pat Travers, Saga and Rush - to name four bands - bring back memories for me...

Third: As for religion: That comment about 80 percent of US residents being "Christian Conservative" had to be answered...I do feel
that the US would be a far different place if the Religious Right controlled politics - The US would be a "Christian Republic" similar in
ways to those countries that are Islamic...For example there could be a dominant Christian party - the rightward Republican remnants
perhaps - and that you would have never seen Barack Obama elected US President...

I realize that religion and politics can be divisive to many - that is why I am restricting my comments on this subject - but I do feel
that this discussion be kept but moved...

Thoughts,memories and opinions from Long Island Mike

Last edited:
Religious associations are loosely thrown around. It's impossible to measure who is devout and who pays lip service to a particular faith.

A 2010 Pew Research study revealed the following statistic...By the year 2050, 41% of Americans believe that Jesus Christ definitely (23%) or probably (18%) will have returned to earth. This isn't even the amount of people who believe in the "rapture"...it's the amount that think it is definitely or probably going to happen within the next 40 years. This is the event that's been happening "any minute now" for 2000 years.

There's nothing wrong with trying to persuade others

Lying to children is immoral.

Sticking with 1977, here's a '77 shot of the Strip. It may have been a great year for music, but not so much for automobile design. Except for maybe that Trans Am. Who didn't want a black one with gold decals after seeing Smokey & the Bandit that year?

yongest1977.jpg

Attachments

• yongest1977.jpg
    yongest1977.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 403

Back