754     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 489     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 246     0 

Yonge Street, North York Streetscape Improvements

Here's what I don't get.

The politics of Tory's position.

For one moment, let's pretend politics isn't all about public policy and what's best for society, based on the evidence! ;)

Having done that, you would think a decision might then be based on political expedience.

But here, we have a win on offer for Mr. Tory, which is that the local councillor, and local residents appear to support the bolder, cheaper proposal. (lane reduction on Yonge)

There are votes to be gained in North York, and in areas like downtown where pro-cycling, pro-pedestrian, eco-friendly policies attract support.

Of course, there are opponents.

But wait, where do those opponents live? The vast majority of that car traffic on Yonge is NOT to nearby condos or addresses, but to points in York Region.

An area w/an odd dearth of Toronto voters.

I see way more upside than down for the Mayor if he supported this initiative.

Even if he faced an opponent for Mayor on his right-flank, he has at least 2 defences, aside from good public policy for supporting the idea.

The first is deference to the local residents and councillor (goes well w/populism and small-c Conservative thinking); its also the cheaper option, which should appeal to fiscal conservatives too.

Add to that, that is recommended by staff, good public policy etc.

Sometimes, Mr. Tory's brain trust leaves me scratching my head.

Yes.

Sure he got more votes downtown rather than Etobicoke and Scarborough but all signs since then shows that he is pandering for votes in those suburban area. Just look at his Executive Council. All suburbanites. Basically his voting block was shut out by him at City Hall. He seems to fear Ford Nation and as such panders to them. The guy lives at St George and Bloor and takes the subway to work. No reason for him to support keeping Yonge as it is unless he really wants those suburban votes.

As usual, Matt Elliott sums it up best:

upload_2018-2-21_15-19-54.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-21_15-19-54.png
    upload_2018-2-21_15-19-54.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 386
I lost faith in Tory a long time ago. Too bad there's nobody better to vote for. I may sit this election out.

I lost faith in Tory a long time ago. Too bad there's nobody better to vote for. I may sit this election out.

I never had faith in Tory to begin with (you tend to get conservative policies out of conservatives), but “nobody better to vote for”? We don’t even know who’s running yet!

I didn't vote for Tory last time because I expected things like this to happen. I won't be voting for him this time either.

People are very serious about ignoring the facts. Scarborough and Etobicoke didn't elect Tory; they overwhelmingly voted for Doug Ford. Tory got elected by the higher-income white voters of the city, and that's the crowd he's playing to. They might not like some of the things he does, but they're convinced that he was the best candidate in 2014 (they're probably right tbh) and everything he's done keeps them mildly content.

Ward 23 and 24 are a Tory-Ford blend

Not really. John Tory did really well in both of those wards. He won the Yonge Street corridor by a huge margin, and the only poll that Ford won by more than a razor-thin margin was the retirement home at 5430 Yonge.

Last edited:
I never had faith in Tory to begin with (you tend to get conservative policies out of conservatives), but “nobody better to vote for”? We don’t even know who’s running yet!

True. If Keesmaat runs, she has my vote automatically. Not sure who else I'd vote for from the progressive side.

When will Toronto get our Bloomberg?

Back