News   Apr 16, 2024
 105     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 333     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 691     0 

Woodbine Centre

Change of ownership plays a big part in a mall's future and the amount of renovations that are applied. Wasn't Albion Mall purchased by Rio Can in the late 1990's? That's when Albion got a major makeover.

Scarborough Town Centre has a lot going for it that would warrant regular renovations:

- major food court
- TTC bus and RT access into the mall itself
- Immediate access from the 401
- attracts customers from Markham, Scarborough and the Durham area (especially since the Pickering Mall is starting to fall apart)
- Cineplex Odeon
- Wal Mart
- Nearby YMCA, Jack Astors, and Best Buy

STC just looks modern and looked after. In fact, I wouldn't mind a stroll there now.

Change of ownership plays a big part in a mall's future and the amount of renovations that are applied. Wasn't Albion Mall purchased by Rio Can in the late 1990's? That's when Albion got a major makeover.

Scarborough Town Centre has a lot going for it that would warrant regular renovations:

- major food court
- TTC bus and RT access into the mall itself
- Immediate access from the 401
- attracts customers from Markham, Scarborough and the Durham area (especially since the Pickering Mall is starting to fall apart)
- Cineplex Odeon
- Wal Mart
- Nearby YMCA, Jack Astors, and Best Buy

STC just looks modern and looked after. In fact, I wouldn't mind a stroll there now.
Albion mall, still looks dated. Also malls which have a walmart, are mainly the hot spot malls, including westwood square mall. Woodbine mall doesnt even have a food supermarket or a gym, and a good bus terminal, and somehow westwood mall has those thing, which is sad if you thing about it.

I still don't understand why Westwood's renovations included severing the new Wal-Mart from the mall proper by a small access road. I'm sure Wal-Mart has their standalone reasons, but it just seems to me that if a mall is a few metres away, why not just attach them. Especially in Canada.

I still don't understand why Westwood's renovations included severing the new Wal-Mart from the mall proper by a small access road. I'm sure Wal-Mart has their standalone reasons, but it just seems to me that if a mall is a few metres away, why not just attach them. Especially in Canada.
Walmart was needed in malton, and the original plan was to have staples where fit4less, Popeyes & dollarama is now.

If it wasn't for walmart, malton wouldnt have the traffic that it has today.

My question wasn't regarding Wal-Mart's decision to be in Malton. It was simply why it wasn't attached to the mall proper.
These pictures are from the video, of prototype of westwood square mall.
Screenshot_2020-08-25_161807.jpg
Screenshot_2020-08-25_161754.jpg
Screenshot_2020-08-25_161704.jpg
Screenshot_2020-08-25_161740.jpg
Screenshot_2020-08-25_161807.jpg
Screenshot_2020-08-25_161754.jpg
Screenshot_2020-08-25_161704.jpg
Screenshot_2020-08-25_161740.jpg

Last edited:
It doesn't explain why Wal-Mart is severed from the mall.

And their subway map is hilarious with Line 4 going to BCC and Line 1 going to Vaughan Mills (amongst other oddities)!?!
My guess would be for security reasons

Imagine cinemas closed at woodbine. I went on imagine cinemas website. The page for woodbine shows a 404 error. Rexdale now has zero movie theatres. And woodbine is down to one anchor. The mall will surely die.
Unlike (Westwood Square Mall) In Malton, which is rising!

Imagine cinemas closed at woodbine. I went on imagine cinemas website. The page for woodbine shows a 404 error. Rexdale now has zero movie theatres. And woodbine is down to one anchor. The mall will surely die.
Woodbine Mall, has the options

#1: Shut down the mall (FOR GOOD) the problem is that all the food court tenants & other tenants will lose their job, SHAME ON THE OWNER OF THE MALL
#2: Renovate the mall as you promised and do the expansion
#3: Find better owner for the mall,
#4: Boycott the mall & go to Westwood Square Mall instead, which there are trying to improve the mall, unlike woodbine mall
#5: All the tenants from woodbine should just move to Westwood square mall, a mall that cares about its Renos
#6: Bring (Giant Tiger & Cinplex) To Woodbine, (WHICH WILL SAVE THE MALL)
#7: Get rid of the fantasy fair, and use that space to expand the mall, and move some stores their & since the fantasy fair's ceiling is very high, make it a 2 floor area, and have a giant skylight in the middle, pretty much expanding the mall and making it better. and all the name brand stores can move to that area and have a modern store, even bring shoppers drugmart their.

their I PRETTY MUCH SAVED WOODBINE MALL.

It doesn't explain why Wal-Mart is severed from the mall.

And their subway map is hilarious with Line 4 going to BCC and Line 1 going to Vaughan Mills (amongst other oddities)!?!
at least Westwood bus terminal is better than woodbine mall's one.

Now that Imagine Cinemas is supposedly closed down in the Woodbine, how about a multicultural movie theater to take its place?

Woodside Cinema (Woodside Square Mall in Scarborough) and Albion Cinemas (Shoppers World Albion in Rexdale) have both been playing
Bollywood, Tamil and other multicultural movies for quite some time now. The Cineplex Odeon in STC has also begun featuring similar films.

P.S., the director of guest services at Woodbine hasn't bothered to answer my email. Just like our friend kade1064 predicted.

Last edited:
This mall is a lost cause, with a slumlord owner to boot. I don't think a renovation can turn it around, and I doubt that full scale redevelopment with a forest of condo towers will be viable in this isolated, boring area until transit connections to the rest of the city are vastly improved. The new GO station will help a little bit, but it will need a lot more help than that. Once the Finch LRT is finished to Humber College north of here, it really should be extended south along the 27/427 corridor at least to Eglinton to link up with the Crosstown. Some BRT should be built as well, maybe along Albion and possibly along Rexdale Blvd.

Back