News   Apr 18, 2024
 396     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.8K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     4 

Woodbine Centre

Albion Mall simply because it has outlived both the original Rexdale mall (though, the Rexdale mall was built about 10 years earlier) and the Woodbine Centre's current state of affairs.

It's a community hub, is in walking distance to a large number of apartments and nearby suburbs plus it contains anchors/chains Woodbine used to have or is sorrily lacking such as Canadian Tire, No Frills, McDonald's and Shoppers Drug Mart.

There's also the Albion Cinemas, which has reinvented itself from a Cineplex Odeon to a hotspot for Bollywood movies. A location that is said to attract movie goers from as far as Ajax and Niagra Falls. A niche market catered to the area's predominantly Indian demographic that has managed to survive a number of different ownerships. I've also read that Albion Cinemas has also offered meet and greets with certain Bollywood celebrities in the past, too. Definitely a service you wouldn't find at Imagine Cinemas any time soon.

In a poetic sense of irony, even Cineplex Odeon is now showing their own assortment of Bollywood movies as well as movies from other international locations. A feature I'm sure would have been appreciated at Woodbine - if Cineplex was able to stick around long enough.

Last edited:
Here's another great find from cinemastreasures.org. An original ad for Cineplex Odeon's grand opening at the Woodbine Centre in 1985.

?
large.jpg

Did Cineplex Odeon simply move out from Albion Mall by this point in search of greener pastures? It seems Fortinos pulled a similar stunt after their Albion location closed down in favour of the larger location across from Woodbine.

Last edited:
Prior to Woodbine Mall's construction in 1985, was there any other building/establishment that existed on the grounds beforehand?
I've read that the nearby Woodbine Racetrack was built in 1956 (the same year as the Rexdale Plaza).

The Toronto Public Library's digital archive has a handful of photos from Woodbine's earlier years:

tspa_0014657f.jpg

Constructing the front entrance. Circa 1985. Credit to the Toronto Star.

The article also included the following text:

"Arched entrance: The $80 million Woodbine Centre; developed and operated by Cadillac Fairview Shopping Centres; will house 179 retailers;
including department stores; when it opens in August. Just inside the arched entrance will be a ferris wheel that's 15.9 metres (52 feet) in
diameter; part of a village for children under age 12; called The Fairgrounds"
(the original name of Fantasy Fair?).

tspa_0014655f.jpg

Construction circa 1985.

tspa_0014659f.jpg

Front entrance with what looks like shoppers. Circa 1985.

tspa_0014658f.jpg

"Important look for fall is knit layering; in electric blue." - where 1980's fashion and the Fantasy Fair converge in this 1985 Toronto Star clipping.

tspa_0004798f.jpg

Another Toronto Star clipping from 1988: "Bunny; an Indian elephant with the Tarzan Zerbini Shrine Circus; stoops so Jerry Parshall's wash
hose can wet his considerable whistle. The circus is set up in the parking lot at Woodbine Centre at Highway 27 and Rexdale Blvd".

tspa_0014660f.jpg

Riding Fantasy Fair's miniature train. Circa 1991.

Last edited:
The only thing I recall, and it may have actually been on the western border, was the Ascot Inn motel. I remember as a child, maybe 6 or 7 years old, cross country skiing there with my siblings.

The only thing I recall, and it may have actually been on the western border, was the Ascot Inn motel. I remember as a child, maybe 6 or 7 years old, cross country skiing there with my siblings.

Thanks for the quick response. The Ascot Inn makes perfect sense! With a little bit of digging, I was able to find the following:

32835796_1977194855683822_577078445909999616_n.jpg

Credit: Vintage Toronto Facebook group and Dianne Thompson.

A look from the inside of the Ascot Inn:

20151231-ascot-27-hotel-int.jpg

With the stain glass windows and shape of the exterior structure, I would have guessed the Inn better resembled a Church on first glance.
Credit for the above photo: blogto

Judging from the Vintage Toronto comments section, the Ascot reportedly hosted wedding receptions up until 1983 (23 years since the Ascot Inn first
opened and just 2 years before the Woodbine Centre was constructed). The Ascot Inn also had a fondly-remembered club called "Spats" that played live
rock music in the 1970's and early 1980's.

This clipping comes from Humber College's "Coven" newspaper for upcoming events at Spats/Ascot Inn in October of 1983:

Spats.png

Canadian rock acts Coney Hatch and Kim Mitchell still perform around the world to this day. In my own estimation, I think the only rock club left in Etobicoke is the
not-too-old Rockpile West on 5555 Dundas West.

Credit to Humber's digital library archive. The entire issue can be found at:

"Metal Queen" Lee Aaron also played at Spats the previous year in 1982:

spats8203.jpg

ascot_inn_60.jpg

To the right: the Ascot Inn on 584 Rexdale Boulevard. To the left is the Woodbine Racetrack. Circa 1960's.
Credit to leearon.se for both photos.

rexdale ascot.png

Same view but zoomed out a bit. BP looks like it was replaced by Petro Canada.

Carrying on its name, a condo at the corner of Queens Plate and Rexdale Blvd. was named "Ascot Co-operative Homes".

Last edited:
Did Ascot own the entire patch of land that would make up the area of Queens Plate, Highway 27 and Rexdale Blvd (besides BP in the above photo)? Visitors to the Ascot Inn recalled enjoying the scenic view of Humber Valley in the 1960's and 1970's. Were there any other tenants on the grounds that pre-existed the Woodbine Centre?

It's not uncommon for property owners to subdivide pieces of their land.

Last edited:
Was thinking yesterday, that I would not be surprised to hear about a mega-redevelopment master-plan of Woodbine Centre one day.

That master-plan has been on display within the Woodbine for a number of years now.

The poster should read "Closeout King Liquidation Village - more of the same popping up soon".

upload_2017-1-16_16-59-48.png

The condo development should definitely happen, along the north side of the mall first I think, but the mall owners should be getting the rezoning done, and maybe selling of rezoned parcels, to get it happening.

Yes, the condo development near Hudson's Bay would be ideal. Turning Woodbine into a community hub like Albion has its positives.

Has the supermarket opened near the food court yet?

New anchor store*

Loblaws wholesale club will be opening at Woodbine centre in January 2020, where the old Zellers use to be.
is this true that Loblaws wholesale club will be opening at where the old Zellers use to be at woodbine mall
where did hear this di dyou see sign paoted i have been to mall and soem work ahs been doen to thold zellers space on upper level and some work has been done to bottom floor of old zellers but has been left abandon to me there is a store currentley upstars in portiopn of old zellers popyess and oen other fast food restaurant has open up some of old zellers space and and shope alot ahs open up in a portion of old basetment of zellers and shop alot has open up in a porion of old sears store i think it might be the up stairs or the basemnt and home store ahs movein to a portof of the basement or up stairs of old sears space above the shop a lot

Back