News   Jul 19, 2024
 929     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 4K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Will Liberty Village get its much-needed new street?

I would like to see the proposed multi-use trail connected to the proposed Under Gardiner initiative. Would generally just require improvements to the Strachan Ave. bridge over the rail corridor to connect the two.

I would like to see the proposed multi-use trail connected to the proposed Under Gardiner initiative. Would generally just require improvements to the Strachan Ave. bridge over the rail corridor to connect the two.
The Fort York bridge will provide a link over both rail corridors. What's required is a connection between it and this new street, preferably a grade-separated connection under Strachan.

The Fort York bridge will provide a link over both rail corridors. What's required is a connection between it and this new street, preferably a grade-separated connection under Strachan.
I stand to be corrected, but the Fort York Bridge will not cross this new road as it will be to the west of Strachan Ave while the bridge is to the east,

I stand to be corrected, but the Fort York Bridge will not cross this new road as it will be to the west of Strachan Ave while the bridge is to the east,

You're right, but this is my point. This still leaves a gap (yellow) between the new road (red) and the bridge (blue).

KMBj1qV.png

You're right, but this is my point. This still leaves a gap (yellow) between the new road (red) and the bridge (blue).
This is what the city has determine to do at this time. The road is not going east of Strachan to connect to Front St or as your yellow line. There is nothing stopping the city to do this down the road.

This is what the city has determine to do at this time. The road is not going east of Strachan to connect to Front St or as your yellow line. There is nothing stopping the city to do this down the road.

The development of the Ordinance Triangle might stop such a road.

My point is that there should be some cycling/pedestrian connection along the yellow (not a whole road), which is much easier to accommodate.

Unless it goes along the track under Strachan, I figure you'd just go up to Liberty at the lights to cross.

As part of the Under Gardiner project, IIRC, they are looking at having the multi-use trail extend west under Strachan, with a ramp connecting the trail to Strachan on the west side abutting the south side of the rail corridor. This was presented a few weeks ago at the open house. The presentation and display boards don't appear to be online. On the east side of Strachan, there are proposed connections between the Under Gardiner trail and the Fort York Pedestrian/Cycle bridge.

EDIT: The presentation boards can be found here.

Here is a screen capture of slide 80 of this presentation (40 mb).
Strachan Gate slide.PNG

Attachments

• Strachan Gate slide.PNG
    Strachan Gate slide.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,201
Last edited:
Update.

This was considered by PWIC on May 16. One amendment reads as follows:

3 - Motion to Amend Motion moved by Councillor Jaye Robinson (Carried)
That Motion 2 by Councillor Mary-Margaret McMahon be amended as follows with respect to Recommendation 4 in the staff report:

"That Recommendation 4 in the staff report be amended by deleting "for implementation of the Liberty New Street" and replacing with "that aims to fund the implementation of the Liberty New Street from other funding options", so that the Recommendation now reads:

"4. City Council direct the Chief Financial Officer, in consultation with the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning and the General Manager, Transportation Services, to develop a financial strategy that aims to fund the implementation of the Liberty New Street from other funding options, reporting back to the Public Works and Infrastructure Committee in June 2017.""

So it looks like this would happen a year from now, earliest. It will be considered by City Council tomorrow.

…and City Council has endorsed it! We have a full story of what's going on here.

…and City Council has endorsed it! We have a full story of what's going on here.

Landscaping will be installed along the new thoroughfare, with a boardwalk on the south side of the street intended to provide urban vistas.

Oh yeah, check out that view! Nothing like the roar and brute presence of the Gardiner eh?

cpKE58f.png

Maybe they'll call the new road Infrastructureview Dr.

Wait, no, I have a better name for it - The Bentway - because it's got a great view of the bent-over lampposts on the Gardiner!

I still hold out hope that someday the Gardiner will swing north over the tracks onto a new Front St. Extension just west of Bathurst, effectively an exit/entrance to the core that makes it possible to remove the existing elevated Gardiner east of Strachan. The Under Gardiner linear park can stay, minus the Gardiner...Maybe keep that land east of the Fort York bridge available for this future possibility? I'm beginning to think it won't happen until far into the future, if ever. Would be nice to have that option.

Mmmmm, never.

Garrison Point is going in east of Strachan north of the tracks, and beyond that a new park. The Gardiner would have to be built over Garrison Common and then over the new park to cross to the north side, and then it would run smack-dab into lights at Bathurst. Minto Westside is going in, then you get Tridel's Reve, then The Well before CityPlace's original towers kick in. Do you think that there's any chance that anyone on living along Front would allow all of the Gardiner's traffic to be dumped onto their street?

Never.

Back