News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 976     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 367     0 

why new condos have a bad architecture ?

I believe the final products are not entirely blamed on the part of the architects. Due to the massive boom in this city and demand by large development companies that need to continue to expand, we continue to see "cookie cutter" designs. Seems like smaller development companies that are new and up and coming can go with more edgy and far different designs. This could atone to us seeing very large projects that do nothing to stimulate the mind.

Last edited:
Go to virtually any new suburban subdivision in North America and you will see pretty much the same housing. In fact, there are many suburbs in Canada that are virtually interchangeable. In some instances, you really couldn't tell if you were in the new suburbs of Montreal, Ottawa or Toronto if you were dropped into those newer areas without prior knowledge. Even smaller cities like Kingston have the same look-alike suburbs as the larger ones.

So one has to wonder if what we see on the skyline here merely reflects that same kind of cookie-cutter duplication when it comes to high-rise housing. Many developers here got their start in building suburban subdivisions. Maybe that mentality has drifted over into the high-rise buildings as well? While many older buildings in Toronto have been clad in brick, it seems as if mullions and spandrel have come to be the common replacement for that material. The grey, green and blue tint is everywhere.

I think some creativity in architecture is fine but if it interferes with the function of the building. For example one of the student dorms at MIT has won all kinds of architecture awards but the students who live in it hate it. The rooms have small windows near the ceiling all the furniture is custom made for each room, apparently the students from time to time will lock acrtest in side of areas that need a key card to get back into the main building. Parts of it are only accesable if you go down to the main floor and cahnge elavtors even if you are on the same floor as it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...nology_undergraduate_dormitories#Simmons_Hall

I think some creativity in architecture is fine but if it interferes with the function of the building. For example one of the student dorms at MIT has won all kinds of architecture awards but the students who live in it hate it. The rooms have small windows near the ceiling all the furniture is custom made for each room, apparently the students from time to time will lock acrtest in side of areas that need a key card to get back into the main building. Parts of it are only accesable if you go down to the main floor and cahnge elavtors even if you are on the same floor as it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...nology_undergraduate_dormitories#Simmons_Hall

Good architecture doesn't necessarily meant the avant garde though.

AoD

I found recently launched condo in Toronto and I will compare it to other cities. Toronto architecture is lacking elegance and beauty. I mean there is no harmony and there is no quality in the style and design.The style here is only vulgar balconies.
I dont ask every building to have an epic design but only a little creativity
See by yourself.

Toronto
--        565 vv66.jpg

Other from Toronto

--        565 vv66 tor.jpg

Dubai

Dubai serioes condo.jpg

Melbourne

melbourne serioes condo.jpg

Miami

miami series.jpg

other from Miami

1000-museum1.jpg

And now do you see the sad reality.

Attachments

• --        565 vv66.jpg
    -- 565 vv66.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 1,841
  • --        565 vv66 tor.jpg
    -- 565 vv66 tor.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 1,795
  • Dubai serioes condo.jpg
    Dubai serioes condo.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 818
  • melbourne serioes condo.jpg
    melbourne serioes condo.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 876
  • miami series.jpg
    miami series.jpg
    711.4 KB · Views: 796
  • 1000-museum1.jpg
    1000-museum1.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 818
Last edited:
First off, you're cherry picking a lot of examples. Secondly, many of your preferences totally confuse me. There are many examples of supposed "good architecture" you posted which have no interesting design elements other than their balconies, which you seem to dislike when in comes to Toronto designs.

First off, you're cherry picking a lot of examples. Secondly, many of your preferences totally confuse me. There are many examples of supposed "good architecture" you posted which have no interesting design elements other than their balconies, which you seem to dislike when in comes to Toronto designs.

The exemples are there to show the differences between the style in Toronto and the international one.
If you watch the Toronto style, you will see that balconies are dominant and make the quality very poor and cheap.
In the other cities, balconies are discreet and they are not dominant.
And Toronto, buildings lack creativity and style.

Exemple for you.
King Charlotte and Rodeo
king chalotte.jpg

Did you see it only balcony that dominate.

Another exemple from Dubai
vida-residence-downtown102812.jpg

These tower are elegant because balconies fit with the style and there are pleasing to see for the eyes contrary to the 2 other Toronto tower that look cheap.

:rolleyes:

Attachments

• vida-residence-downtown102812.jpg
    vida-residence-downtown102812.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 760
  • king chalotte.jpg
    king chalotte.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 813
Some other exemple of Melbourne architectural style. I would like to see more proposal like that in Toronto. If developers lack imagination, i have some suggestion for them.

380 lonsdale.jpg

tall2.jpg

Attachments

• 380 lonsdale.jpg
    380 lonsdale.jpg
    632.5 KB · Views: 737
  • tall2.jpg
    tall2.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 727
I think some of the buildings with wrap around balconies look quite good myself- Casa II for example. However I understand what you are expressing, I too would prefer to see some more imaginative architecture. However You are 'cherry picking' projects, being selectively biased with your imagery. Do you not like ICE condos, 1 Bloor East, Harbour Plaza or L-Tower? While not in the downtown Toronto, the Absolute condos are far more interesting buildings than any you have shown above in my opinion.

I think some of the buildings with wrap around balconies look quite good myself- Casa II for example. However I understand what you are expressing, I too would prefer to see some more imaginative architecture. However You are 'cherry picking' projects, being selectively biased with your imagery. Do you not like ICE condos, 1 Bloor East, Harbour Plaza or L-Tower? While not in the downtown Toronto, the Absolute condos are far more interesting buildings than any you have shown above in my opinion.

Yes i love those Toronto tower. But unfortunately, they are exception in this city.I created this topic because recently launched condos have a poor architecture.I just want more creativity. In Melbourne, Almost every building is spectacular.

He's cherry picking but he isn't off base. The newer condos are pretty basic. There are some gems but they tend to be the exception.

I agree with the sentiment as well- as stated. There has been a lot of run of the mill projects. However that said the modern aesthetic in Toronto has traditionally been the International style, and much of the current architecture tend to follow that trend. Not necessarily a bad thing-many are in fact sharp looking buildings and quality projects despite their simple appearance. I really like such projects as the Four Seasons, Five, Karma, Exhibit, CasaII, 1BloorE, Pier27, Pure Spirit, X Condos to name a few. Simplicity doesn't mean cheap or poor by any stretch; this to me is gorgeous http://www.corearchitects.com/project/five-hundred-wellington-2
Some of those Dubai, Miami, Melbourne towers you posted look tacky to me.

But sure I would love to see more out of the box thinking for some projects and in fact there are some major projects in the works that are very promising. Hopefully we'll see the sculpted Gehry towers going up in a few years- they may make anything you posted above look conservative.

Last edited:

Back