News   Apr 24, 2024
 954     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

why new condos have a bad architecture ?

I would agree that 1BE, 1 St. Thomas and Picasso are great examples of well designed and appealing architecture. The Shangri-La and Four Seasons are boring and ugly boxes. Shangri-La is an eye-sore in my opinion. There is absolutely nothing about the tower's design that stands out at all. It's a generic blue box. It looks no better than the hideous Hilton or Sheraton across the street just using modern materials (which may shatter and fall onto people below). It does connect a lot better with the street level that Hilton/Sheraton but the tower itself is fugly. The Four Seasons is a missed opportunity to make the city where Four Seasons started into a landmark property. It's another blue glass box with balconies. The design is terribly bland. The new Delta hotel by the ACC looks a lot nicer IMHO than Four Seasons or the Shangri-La. It's not spectacular but at least it has a lot more distinguishable design features that make it stand out somewhat.

delta-jpg.88455

four-seasons-jpg.88456

shangri-la-jpg.88457

Attachments

• delta.jpg
    delta.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 991
  • four seasons.jpg
    four seasons.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,478
  • shangri-la.jpg
    shangri-la.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,127
Yes well said .There is some project that will change Toronto skyline and his lifestyle.
These project will bring vibrancy and life to their district.
I love them not only because they have an extraordinary architecture ,but because they have public space too.
If all goes well ,Toronto will change for the best with these 3 beauties.

mirvish-gehry-towers-bottom-2014-10-24.jpg

Attachments

• mirvish-gehry-towers-bottom-2014-10-24.jpg
    mirvish-gehry-towers-bottom-2014-10-24.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,099
IMO, none of those look like attractive designs. It doesn't matter if you try to break up the otherwise obelisk-like look with jut outs and abrupt transitions when it's still just a wall of cheap glass and steel panels. The city is being to look like any east Asian city with thrown up glass condos on every stitch of land.

When I think of timeless, long lasting condos my mind goes to the brick condos, certainly with a mix of modern glass mixed in, like Chicago below. Certainly we'd need to limit the height, but with failing elevators and no additions to ground level infrastructure to accommodate the greater population of skyscraper condos (expanded public transit, parks, wider sidewalks, schools, parking, etc.), such limitations may make sense for Toronto.

3267487-chicago-skyscrapers.jpg

Last edited:
The thing that Chicago's modern architecture (especially its postmodernist architecture) does well are the rooftop levels, lighting and crowns.

The wide roads and presence of breaks in the urban fabric (i.e. the Chicago River, Grand Park) allow buildings to stand on their own and be better appreciated from the street level.

0106-0410-Edit.jpg

We will never have an architecture like Chicago.
We don t care enough about architecture excellence in Canada.

It not just the architecture that is horrible in Toronto.With the new condos there is no lifestyle at all and they give nothing to the citizens.It make the city uglier and very depressing.I will show you folks ,3 project in the world that where every one have a place. Every day, i see online other project around the world that crush Toronto and the rest of Canada and that make me so angry.:(
They have a pretty architecture,give vibrancy to the city and give pride to all citizens.I would like to see a better city for all citizens. Toronto is economic capital of Canada and should be pretty for its citizens and tourists. For the moment ,Toronto is like a third world city .

1-Miami World Center

miami world center24h.jpg

Miami-Worldcenter-Mall-Entrancexhhgfg.jpg

Oceanwide plaza(los angeles)

oceanwide los angeles99.jpg

ceanwideplaza_rendering588.jpg

Skyland (istanbul)

skyland istanbul 1 renders.jpg

Attachments

• miami world center24h.jpg
    miami world center24h.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,150
  • Miami-Worldcenter-Mall-Entrancexhhgfg.jpg
    Miami-Worldcenter-Mall-Entrancexhhgfg.jpg
    799 KB · Views: 2,074
  • oceanwide los angeles99.jpg
    oceanwide los angeles99.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 2,066
  • ceanwideplaza_rendering588.jpg
    ceanwideplaza_rendering588.jpg
    611.6 KB · Views: 1,982
  • skyland istanbul 1 renders.jpg
    skyland istanbul 1 renders.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,224
Last edited:
This guy has to be a troll. He's making the same thread on different websites talking about the same crap.

This guy has to be a troll. He's making the same thread on different websites talking about the same crap.

I just want to make people aware that we can have a better architecture.
We torontonians, deserve a good and respectable architecture.Sometime we can do something extraordinary in a special place like the waterfront.
I advocate for a change here. Just build the same repetitive building style everywhere in the city is making our city worse and uninspired.
A good architecture inspire,motivate and make citizens pride of their cities.
Architecture is a quick way to judge a civilization. We don t have the Eiffel tower,the Egyptian pyramids,the forbidden city in China or the Opera of Sydney,but we can compensate with a good modern architecture.
We have the CN tower, but it look very old now.
I don t ask we look like Dubai or every building look exceptional ,but there is room for improvement.
Some project like 1 Yonge ,Mirvish Gehry or 2 Carlton are a very good start.
But their future is not sure,because a real estate crash can occur.
And big development should bring more to citizens.I said that because 99% of time condos tower does not bring lifestyle at all to the city.I would like more parcs, more fountains and more amenities for all citizens.
Toronto is not very good in this field too.
Every big city do it well.
New York city,Los Angeles ,Chicago,Miami or San Francisco do it very well. Why not Toronto ?
I agree that every person has it own opinion but there is a undeniable truth here folks.
If someone refuse to see that truth,they dislike Toronto and lack pride for it.

99% of time condos tower does not bring lifestyle at all to the city.
I don't think that many condos lack lifestyles, unless they are boutique condos most likely surrounded by a suburban environment. Urban Toronto is more focused on big-picture developments like The One, 1-7 Yonge, the **** at 90 Harbour and 1 York, etc. than boutique condos. I, however, am here mostly to show off my opinion because there is already too much criticism on projects I like like TEN YORK. @enrigue8 , what do you think is a bad design vs a good one? so I can have a look.

I don't think that many condos lack lifestyles, unless they are boutique condos most likely surrounded by a suburban environment. Urban Toronto is more focused on big-picture developments like The One, 1-7 Yonge, the **** at 90 Harbour and 1 York, etc. than boutique condos. I, however, am here mostly to show off my opinion because there is already too much criticism on projects I like like TEN YORK. @enrigue8 , what do you think is a bad design vs a good one? so I can have a look.

I like 10 york tower and harbour plaza .Their design are bold and elegant.
What i dislike the most is big balconies like apartment block from the 60 and 70 s era.
I like what is creative ,elegant and bold.
Some exemple are delta at waterfront,1 bloor,Aura, L tower Ey tower or 1 Yorkville.
But towers like that are rare.
By lack of lifestyle, i mean lack of animation,lack of parcs and fountains.
Every big project should bring life to the city, not just for the residents.

100adelaide.jpg

Attachments

• 100adelaide.jpg
    100adelaide.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 951
Last edited:
I like 10 york tower and harbour plaza .Their design are bold and elegant.
What i dislike the most is big balconies like apartment block from the 60 and 70 s era.
I like what is creative ,elegant and bold.
Some exemple are delta at waterfront,1 bloor,Aura, L tower Ey tower or 1 Yorkville.
But towers like that are rare.
By lack of lifestyle, i mean lack of animation,lack of parcs and fountains.
Every big project should bring life to the city, not just for the residents.

View attachment 90456
Not all developments require things like parks and fountains for the public. I don't understand anyone praising 90 Harbour & 1 York. You like EY Tower and Delta because of the absence of balconies because they are an office tower and a hotel, respectively. Can you show me a condo lacking lifestyle?

Back