News   Apr 24, 2024
 996     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 637     0 

Why Is Immigration a Success In Canada?

As long as the Turkish children in Germany are learning German in school and growing up speaking and are fluently bilingual, I would expect integration to go smoothly. But I'm not overly familiar with what's happening there.

As long as the Turkish children in Germany are learning German in school and growing up speaking and are fluently bilingual, I would expect integration to go smoothly. But I'm not overly familiar with what's happening there.
I'm no expert, but I'll give my useless comment anyway... (I was just there last month, and had some interesting albeit superficial talks with my drivers, etc.) There seems to be a big anti-immigrant and specifically anti-Muslim backlash in Germany. There is such a backlash in North America too after the whole 9/11 incident and the wars, but the difference is it seems some politicians are more vocal about it there, and seem to get away with it. It's much less tolerated here. To put it another way, Ford compliments "Orientals" as hardworking, and the PC crowd here freaks out. In Germany, the Chancellor declares such integration a failure, and gets applause.

how do they actively exclude? other than religious laws, not challenging you.just a genuine question

There are other ways to exclude people, like segregation and employment, for example. Not sure if that applies to Germany in particular though, but it is very true for other Euorpean countries, especially France and the Netherlands.

And yeah, Quebec is good example of exclusionary policy also. You probably know Quebec has all these strict language laws. They banned the burqa also. Perhaps it is no coincidence then that Montreal is the most racially segregated city in Canada (though it is nowhere near as bad as a US or European city). Remember the mass riots that occured in Montreal in recent years? Those were based on racial issues...

Bottom line is, don't expect exclusionary policies and attitudes to result in assimilation. Germany has problems with immigrants because ethnic Germans don't accept immigrants as being German people. How can anyone expect the immigrants to accept themselves as being German if ethnic Germans don't? That's a double standard, but it's a common standard people who oppose immigration and multiculturalism use.

If ethnic Germans accepted Turkish culture, than Turkish immigrants would accept German culture.

Intergration isn't just on the immigrant's responsibility to learn language. They may speak German as fluently as ethnic Germans but still not be integrated because no one will hire them, for example. Or maybe they cannot interact with members outside the Turkish-Germany community because of segregation. Again, it is a two-way relationship, not one-way...

Take from this what you will.

In a Chinese mall in the GTA, there were two bulk food places. One was disorganized, dirty and cheap and it was owned by Chinese. The owners were quite rude, but it was packed all the time. The second was clean and well thought out, and had the same goods, often with better quality, and with the same prices. The Portuguese owners were very helpful and polite. Yet, the place was always empty.

I'm not sure what to call this. Racist? Not really. Stupid? Maybe. Disappointing? Yes. I was sad to see that the locals in that mall made no effort whatsoever to consider shopping in the latter store, presumably mainly because it was Portuguese owned and they didn't speak Chinese. It was probably a mistake for a Portuguese family to set up shop in a Chinese mall, but I find it disappointing that the local population did nothing to support them.

Were there products in the one, that weren't in the other? Was the signage in the Portuguese one in Chinese?

Were there products in the one, that weren't in the other? Was the signage in the Portuguese one in Chinese?
Can't say I checked every product, but for the common products, they were the same, and sometimes better quality in the Portuguese store.

However, the Portuguese store had only some (not complete) Chinese signage, which as you suggest may make a difference. Mind you, considering it was a bulk food store, it was pretty easy just to look through the lid to see what the stuff was a lot of the time.

Mind you, considering it was a bulk food store, it was pretty easy just to look through the lid to see what the stuff was a lot of the time.
I can't say I feel the same way about it being easy to look through the stuff, when I walk into a Chinese grocery that doesn't have signs in English ...

Back