News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 964     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Why Is Immigration a Success In Canada?

Not me. I immigrated to Canada from the UK in the mid-1970s, and rarely seek out other Brits to chat with. All my friends, family, spouse, etc are immigrants or descendants thereof from all over the world.

I agree with you here. I actually think Anglo's get along best with everyone. Look at Canada after all--it's the Anglo-Canada that has been most open to immigration. My friends as well come from all backgrounds, and in fact, I've never dated a wasp (including Scots-Irish) Canadian; contrast that to many immigrants I meet that say they'd never date anyone else except from their own race/cultural group.

Also, look at the history of British Colonialism. While some would argue it was all about money/power/race, I believe it was about the natural curiosity of the Brits to explore other cultures. (Or maybe I'm just a biased Anglo? :p)

At work, I'm the minority, one of only a few white Canadian-born employees. I get along with everyone; contrast that to the Caribbeans, Chinese, South Asians etc that only hang around their own linguistic/cultural group. Some would say I'm forced to get along with these new Canadians (although in truth many aren't citizens yet or don't want to become Canadian), yet I find talking to folks from a variety of backgrounds more interesting than hanging with the mostly white Canadian born and bred management.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter, since not all Semites are Jews. Semites refers simply to those from the Middle East, including Arabs and Jews.

Originally yeah that's what Semite meant. But nowadays "Anti-Semitism" generally refers exclusively to "Anti-Judaism".

I'm working under the assumption that the comment was generally directed at those who dress in Muslim garb, who do, mostly, tend to be a different race. But your right, it's a difficult turn.

Not sure what the right term for religious-based bigotry is ... suggestions?

that all depends on what you mean by bigotry.

Let's focus on Hanover, Ontario, for a minute. Population is around 10,000, mostly white xtians. What would happen if 2,000 muslims moved there? That would be about the same proportional amount that will end up in the the gta. Then they impose Sharia law, and other silly things unrelated to the folks whose families lived in Hanover for 150+ years.
Because obviously, having a large Muslim makeup means that Hanover will unofficially become part of the Middle East. Will they suddenly find large amounts of oil in surrounding fields as well?

Do you not think that maybe, having a relatively large population of Muslims would just have little effect on the system? Or do you like to think of Muslims all as extremists, insurgents and terrorists to be as soon as you hand them an RPG or AK-47? Believe it or not, some muslims actually don't think that Sharia law is the way to go. Perhaps you should actually get to know a couple before you make totally unfounded arguments?

Originally yeah that's what Semite meant. But nowadays "Anti-Semitism" generally refers exclusively to "Anti-Judaism".
That's exactly my earlier point. Jews, not being a race, understood that accusation of anti-Jewish behaviour could not accurately be referred to as racism, so the term anti-semitism was created specifically for this circumstance. Muslims who see blanket references of their co-religionists to terrorism shouldn't use the racism moniker, but should follow the example of anti-semitism to arrive at a more apt term. Anti-Muslim seems to work.

I'm working under the assumption that the comment was generally directed at those who dress in Muslim garb, who do, mostly, tend to be a different race. But your right, it's a difficult turn.

Not sure what the right term for religious-based bigotry is ... suggestions?

The irony nfitz is that although you claim to abhor discriminatory/bigoted/racist comments you are relentless in your determination to slap your own judgemental label on somebody else at all costs. Labels are labels whether they are good ones or bad ones, which is to say simplistic, which is why your struggle to find just the 'right term' to slap on somebody is so profoundly hypocritical, not to mention disturbing.

That's exactly my earlier point. Jews, not being a race, understood that accusation of anti-Jewish behaviour could not accurately be referred to as racism, so the term anti-semitism was created specifically for this circumstance. Muslims who see blanket references of their co-religionists to terrorism shouldn't use the racism moniker, but should follow the example of anti-semitism to arrive at a more apt term. Anti-Muslim seems to work.

anti-muslim or muslimphobia is an apt description of one who has an irrational fear of muslims. but this is not to be confused with one who criticizes islam or doesn't like islam. being critical of islam doesn't mean someone is a muslimphobe nor an islamophobe which is a false concept. a phobia is an irrational fear and being afraid of of islam can be for rational reasons pertaining to scripture, etc.

Last edited:
Canada is an island. There is the Arctic to the north, the United States of America to the south, and an ocean to the west and to the east. To get into Canada from the south, there is the buffer country that acts as a filter for Canada. The rest has a "moat" to get across.

Actually, Jews are a race. That being people that originally came from around the Arabian Peninsula to the Holy Land. But before the 1950's, Jews were one of the only Semetic peoples in Europe, and so anti-Jewish behaviour at that time was broadened to anti-semetism. It's not a completely correct term, but it's come to mean anti-Jewish.

Though Anti-Muslim seems to be a good term; people don't hate Arabians or Persians, they hate their religion.

The irony nfitz is that although you claim to abhor discriminatory/bigoted/racist comments you are relentless in your determination to slap your own judgemental label on somebody else at all costs.
I believe that I have commented before that one of my weaknesses is that I am bigoted against those who discriminate over race, ethnic, language, sexuality ... and sometimes even sex and age (depending on context - for example, I'm not opposed to maintaining gender-based separation of bathrooms!!, and I'd be concerned to see a 30-year old attending Kindergarten).

I believe that I have commented before that one of my weaknesses is that I am bigoted against those who discriminate over race, ethnic, language, sexuality ... and sometimes even sex and age (depending on context - for example, I'm not opposed to maintaining gender-based separation of bathrooms!!, and I'd be concerned to see a 30-year old attending Kindergarten).

i hate the taste of broccoli and i am lactose intolerant. i am prejudiced against all liquids in which i do not know their composition and assume they are harmful and i am discriminatory when it comes to which drawer the underwear occupy.

Does anybody thank Canada should require immigrants to do a "values test" like France does? I noticed in the news this morning muslims had put up posters of why Smitherman shouldn't win because he is married to a man. I think it's pretty despicable that people can come to this country for a better life and end up imposing their 18th century ideals on others.

^Ha, you should check out Amish/buggy Mennonite/Dutch Reformed country--aka, Waterloo and Perth Counties, Ontario. They've been in Canada for almost 200 years.... I guess the fact they don't impose their values on "English" Canada is the main reason they're off the radar in urban Canada.

Last edited:
Does anybody thank Canada should require immigrants to do a "values test" like France does? I noticed in the news this morning muslims had put up posters of why Smitherman shouldn't win because he is married to a man. I think it's pretty despicable that people can come to this country for a better life and end up imposing their 18th century ideals on others.
Certainly not. There are plenty of white Canadians that think the exact same thing. And anyways, that's seriously discriminating against certain groups simply based on the country they're from, as well as political discrimination. Indian and Arabian culture is just more conservative than Chinese or European.
If you don't want having a bunch of hicks in the country (including the once that we've had living here for generations,) we should instead educate them properly and show what's good about 21st century values. But discrimination is unacceptable.

Back