News   Apr 22, 2024
 773     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 258     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 656     0 

Why Does Hamilton Constantly Get Screwed?

terribleone and dc83: You realize we're talking about hamilton right? The same city that has been used as a potential home for pretty much every NHL team that has threatened relocation. You'd think you guys would have gone through all of this enough that you'd understand how this game works, but I guess not...

terribleone and dc83: You realize we're talking about hamilton right? The same city that has been used as a potential home for pretty much every NHL team that has threatened relocation. You'd think you guys would have gone through all of this enough that you'd understand how this game works, but I guess not...

Exactly... the next step in the 'game' will be for the press to 'find out' that team officials have had meetings with officials in other cities.

http://www.thespec.com/Opinions/article/823258
I read a comment from a Tiger-Cat fan this weekend saying the team won't leave Hamilton because it has nowhere else to go -- as if the Tiger-Cats are somehow obligated to play in the Golden Horseshoe.

Quebec City, Moncton, Saskatoon and Halifax would do whatever it takes to get a Canadian Football League franchise. If council votes for the west harbour, there are plenty of places the Tiger-Cats could go -- and many of them are better football markets than Hamilton.

Except all these places are smaller.

Quebec City isn't. But the question there is whether anyone gives a damn about Football.

Not enough to give tax money.

Actually the popularity of football in Quebec City and Quebec as a province has grown quite a bit and Universite Laval in Quebec City is a football powerhouse in the CIS. They sold out the Vanier Cup (17,000 seats) in Quebec City just a couple years ago. Is that a clear indication? No, of course not, but that's the same amount of people who would annually come out to the Vanier Cup when it was held at the Dome.

Also, the Quebec government would provide tax money. Considering they've already said they would help with a new NHL arena and there are hopes for a 2022 Olympic bid, it sounds to me like they would have no problem putting in some money for a stadium or upgrades to PEPS (where Laval plays).

Mind you, all of this is said despite the fact I believe Hamilton isn't going anywhere. No one at the head office of the CFL will want this to happen, and if anything they'd much rather Quebec City be in the (perpetual) talks of an expansion club (along with Ottawa, Halifax, etc).

Actually the popularity of football in Quebec City and Quebec as a province has grown quite a bit and Universite Laval in Quebec City is a football powerhouse in the CIS. They sold out the Vanier Cup (17,000 seats) in Quebec City just a couple years ago. Is that a clear indication? No, of course not, but that's the same amount of people who would annually come out to the Vanier Cup when it was held at the Dome.

Also, the Quebec government would provide tax money. Considering they've already said they would help with a new NHL arena and there are hopes for a 2022 Olympic bid, it sounds to me like they would have no problem putting in some money for a stadium or upgrades to PEPS (where Laval plays).

Mind you, all of this is said despite the fact I believe Hamilton isn't going anywhere. No one at the head office of the CFL will want this to happen, and if anything they'd much rather Quebec City be in the (perpetual) talks of an expansion club (along with Ottawa, Halifax, etc).
This is key. They want the expansion fee. This actually does nothing for the CFL.

Back