News   Apr 25, 2024
 132     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Why Does Hamilton Constantly Get Screwed?

Places To Grow

Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, 2006

Greater Golden Horseshoe
Growth Plan Area
The Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, released on June 16, 2006, is a 25-year plan that aims to:

•Revitalize downtowns to become vibrant and convenient centres.
•Create complete communities that offer more options for living, working, learning, shopping and playing.
•Provide housing options to meet the needs of people at any age.
•Curb sprawl and protect farmland and green spaces.
•Reduce traffic gridlock by improving access to a greater range of transportation options.

EM violates the place to grow act. End of story.

Places To Grow

Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, 2006

Greater Golden Horseshoe
Growth Plan Area
The Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, released on June 16, 2006, is a 25-year plan that aims to:

•Revitalize downtowns to become vibrant and convenient centres.
•Create complete communities that offer more options for living, working, learning, shopping and playing.
•Provide housing options to meet the needs of people at any age.
•Curb sprawl and protect farmland and green spaces.
•Reduce traffic gridlock by improving access to a greater range of transportation options.

EM violates the place to grow act. End of story.

I'm a planner, so I'm quite familiar with Places to Grow and this isn't the "end of story."
The thing is, Places to Grow isn't the be all and end all. If that's the case, any new development on undeveloped land would be a violation. This stadium is no different than a Walmart or a housing subdivision, and those are still getting built. Furthermore, I struggle to understand how a stadium that would be used on average once or twice per month would revitalize Hamilton's downtown. Copps is probably used more than this stadium will be and it hasn't exactly been a catalyst. Stadiums are far outside the realm of what Places to Grow was trying to address. They are unique one-offs and have little to do with "complete communities". This stadium will only promote gridlock in the time before and after an event, which in the gradn scheme of things is actually a very minute slice of time. Similarly, since fans of the Ti-cats come from various locations around the GGH, you're looking at traffic no matter where it is.

Personally, I don't care where the stadium is. I have no vested interest in it, but to say its a violation of an Act which was never expected to address something like professional sport stadiums is a bit far-fetched.

EDIT: I'll also add that I think the long-term tenant of the stadium should have as much or more of a say than anyone, especially in a league like the CFL. Considering Young is throwing in money for the stadium where he wants it, that type of investment just doesn't come around often in the CFL and I certainly wouldn't want to lose an owner like that. I don't think there's any fear of Hamilton ever losing the team (it's just talk), but there's a lot to be said about having strong ownership in the area.

Last edited:
As the World Turns in Hamilton....

Feds now say stadium location city's to decide

August 07, 2010
http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/822172

Federal Minister of State (Sport) Gary Lunn said in a statement Saturday that "Federal funding is not contingent upon the location of the stadium."

Read the full statement below and watch thespec.com for updates.

OTTAWA, August 7, 2010 - The Honourable Gary Lunn, Minister of State (Sport) today issued the following statement:

"As a proud supporter of the 2015 PanAm Games, the Government of Canada has agreed to support the building of venues for the Games.

The decision for the location of the venues lies with the organizing committee.

I commend the parties involved for working together to find a stadium location that brings long-term benefits to the city of Hamilton.

The federal government respects the process undertaken by the City of Hamilton and the HostCo.

Federal funding is not contingent upon the location of the stadium. A s asupporter of the Pan Am Games, the Government of Canada's conditions for the funding of the stadium are as follows:
• The City owns the stadium
• The stadium must be used for the 2015 Games
• The stadium must be used for high-performance sport, after the 2015 Games
• There is no objection to a professional football team (CFL franchise) using the stadium as tenants
• The Board for the 2015 Games approve the construction of the stadium and that it be ready on schedule and within budget.

The stadium is the subject of the multiparty agreement and the Government of Canada will be asked to approve the business plan, including all infrastructure projects, once it is approved by the Board."

I'm a planner, so I'm quite familiar with Places to Grow and this isn't the "end of story."
The thing is, Places to Grow isn't the be all and end all. If that's the case, any new development on undeveloped land would be a violation. This stadium is no different than a Walmart or a housing subdivision, and those are still getting built. Furthermore, I struggle to understand how a stadium that would be used on average once or twice per month would revitalize Hamilton's downtown. Copps is probably used more than this stadium will be and it hasn't exactly been a catalyst. Stadiums are far outside the realm of what Places to Grow was trying to address. They are unique one-offs and have little to do with "complete communities". This stadium will only promote gridlock in the time before and after an event, which in the gradn scheme of things is actually a very minute slice of time. Similarly, since fans of the Ti-cats come from various locations around the GGH, you're looking at traffic no matter where it is.

Personally, I don't care where the stadium is. I have no vested interest in it, but to say its a violation of an Act which was never expected to address something like professional sport stadiums is a bit far-fetched.

EDIT: I'll also add that I think the long-term tenant of the stadium should have as much or more of a say than anyone, especially in a league like the CFL. Considering Young is throwing in money for the stadium where he wants it, that type of investment just doesn't come around often in the CFL and I certainly wouldn't want to lose an owner like that. I don't think there's any fear of Hamilton ever losing the team (it's just talk), but there's a lot to be said about having strong ownership in the area.

Well the spin off business that come from that would help greatly for one. It justs looks nice for two.

Last edited:
As the World Turns in Hamilton....

Feds now say stadium location city's to decide

August 07, 2010
http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/822172

Federal Minister of State (Sport) Gary Lunn said in a statement Saturday that "Federal funding is not contingent upon the location of the stadium."

Read the full statement below and watch thespec.com for updates.

OTTAWA, August 7, 2010 - The Honourable Gary Lunn, Minister of State (Sport) today issued the following statement:

"As a proud supporter of the 2015 PanAm Games, the Government of Canada has agreed to support the building of venues for the Games.

The decision for the location of the venues lies with the organizing committee.

I commend the parties involved for working together to find a stadium location that brings long-term benefits to the city of Hamilton.

The federal government respects the process undertaken by the City of Hamilton and the HostCo.

Federal funding is not contingent upon the location of the stadium. A s asupporter of the Pan Am Games, the Government of Canada's conditions for the funding of the stadium are as follows:
• The City owns the stadium
• The stadium must be used for the 2015 Games
• The stadium must be used for high-performance sport, after the 2015 Games
• There is no objection to a professional football team (CFL franchise) using the stadium as tenants
• The Board for the 2015 Games approve the construction of the stadium and that it be ready on schedule and within budget.

The stadium is the subject of the multiparty agreement and the Government of Canada will be asked to approve the business plan, including all infrastructure projects, once it is approved by the Board."

Bye bye ticats!!!!

This is also not helped by the fact that it has large NDP support. Ottawa and Queen's Park have no vested interest in helping Hamilton unlike Ottawa and London.

Maybe presently: but remember that once upon a time, it was Sheila Copps town, federally speaking...

Statement by Ian Troop, CEO, Toronto 2015:

On Friday, I was informed by the federal government that funding for the PanAm Games stadium in Hamilton was contingent on having an anchor tenant, and that they would not be interested in funding a stadium at the West Harbour. I passed that information along to representatives of the provincial government, who are a major partner in the Games. I've now learned that Minister of State for Sport Gary Lunn has clarified the federal position and stated that their funding is not contingent on the location of the stadium.

As I've said before, the organizing committee is looking for a long-term plan with viable future usage for this facility. The city's own report has said that an anchor tenant is required to make the stadium viable. The PanAm Games organizing committee looks forward to the decision from the City of Hamilton about the stadium later this week.

On Friday morning the province received specific information that the federal government would not fund a stadium at West Harbour. This confirmed information we had heard the previous day.

On Friday, this information came through Ian Troop, CEO of Toronto 2015.

We felt obliged to inform our partners at the city. Our concern was that this development, coming so late in the process, could jeopardize the chances for the city to realize its goal of having a stadium. And all along, as Hamilton MPPs, our goal has been to bring a stadium to Hamilton that will provide a lasting benefit to our community.

With the information from Mr. Troop, on Friday we indicated our belief that, in the circumstances, the East Mountain site represented the best hope for achieving this goal.

We are reassured to know that the federal government has now clarified that its funding is not contingent on any location.

This has been our position all along and we are glad to reaffirm it.

Wtf? lol. So we're back at square 1, with the City making the decision?? This is odd. Communication problems much?

Back