News   Apr 19, 2024
 2.2K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 936     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.5K     3 

Why do we choose dark coat colours for winter?

Torontonians are not particularly bold, fashion-wise. I think that's a big reason for all the black.
My winter coat is red, like a stop sign. Don't-run-me-over-you-bastards Red.

If you're getting a good (possibly expensive) winter jacket, you want it to be able to match the various hats, gloves, scarves, & whatever you wear underneath.

If you get a bright red hat and a green scarf or something, a black jacket will probably look better than a blue one.

Other neutral colours like brown or white work too, and bright colours can look great, but men tend to be more conservative with colour choices, and black does look good no matter what :)

I think a black coat is much warmer than a white coat . Black clothes are very warmer that`s why people like to wear black coats in winters. I am also feel so much comfortable in dark clothes , you can wear designer black coats in any occasions . People purchase black lather jackets or black gloves in winter. Even dark colors looking very dashing in parties .In snowing areas I would like to wear black coats with black leather gloves.

This is back in the news, with over a dozen people hit by cars today. Not excusing the car drivers whatsoever, but it helps to be visible on a dark and rainy morning before entering the roadspace.

Without knowing what happened in any of the incidents, it's also helpful for pedestrians to pay extra attention on a morning like it was today. If you've got your hood pulled over your head or are using an umbrella, your line of vision is impacted. Don't jaywalk on a busy road -- where I live, I regularly see people weaving in amongst cars stopped at a red light rather than just go a few yards further down the road to cross at the lights -- that's dangerous on a normal day but on a dark and rainy morning, even more so! Even at lights, check before stepping out to cross the road. Just because you have the green doesn't mean it's safe to cross. (I'd rather be safe and sound than injured (or worse) and right.)

It's definitely most for style and/or easy coordination of outfits. While I agree that wearing bright colors can enhance your visibility to drivers, you should still use due diligence when crossing the street even if you are the right of way.

It's definitely most for style and/or easy coordination of outfits. While I agree that wearing bright colors can enhance your visibility to drivers, you should still use due diligence when crossing the street even if you are the right of way.
Agreed. Head down, texting, headphones blasting is the most sensible way to cross a street.

Although pedestrians should be diligent, and like everyone else should obey the rules of the road, I think we too often to blame the pedestrian for any car-pedestrian collisions ("he was wearing earphones", "she rushed into the crosswalk the minute it turned green", etc.). The distracted/indifferent/entitled motorist is likely often most to blame. But we have this 1950s attitude where the guy talking on his cell behind the wheel takes precedence, and the pedestrian is the anomaly and thus bears a greater onus.

While I agree that pedestrians in dark-coloured clothing can sometimes be difficult to see at night, and I have experienced it myself while behind the wheel, drivers too should probably be paying more attention and driving more slowly. We're not talking pitch-black country roads here. These are generally well-lit city streets.

We don't have much choice. Go to the men's clothing section. All the coats are black, brown and grey! a few years back i picked up a beautiful reddish brown coat from Harry Rosen's. I get a lot of complements when i wear it.

God, until this year I had a brown overcoat (just a brown coat!) and would get complimented on it all the time, since it was so "unusual". It was just a regular men's overcoat, but in a world of blacks, greys and navys, it often drew people's attention. I can only imagine how your reddish brown coat got comments.

I have a light off-white spring jacket that looked great. Unfortunately, it gets so dirty that I actually dislike wearing it. My winter jacket is black and my winter coat is dark grey. Call me unoriginal. :cool:

Is this also tied in any way to the often unspoken "no white after Labor day" rule of fashion? Still see people wear white shoes in winter though.

Back