News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 396     0 

Whose vision of transit in Toronto do you support?

Whose vision of transit in Toronto do you support?

• Total voters
I know that folks here will read multiple threads, but given some of the comments, it seems appropriate to advise everyone that there's a commentary on Move Toronto up on my site.

http://stevemunro.ca/?p=3276

I have cast only one vote in favour of "my" plan. Seems only fair.

I thought hard about that, but decided to leave it in. If someone is going to talk about a basic transportation concept and cannot even spell it correctly, it undermines their credibility. The BRT proposals are the weakest part of the entire paper. They trumpet BRT as an alternative solution, but then use "BRT Light", not real BRT, for almost all of their lines. Basically, they don't want to bite the bullet on taking road space away from cars.

Always a huge supporter of pointing out spelling and grammatical errors. It drives me crazy that they still haven't fixed the glaring error in the first sentence of Move Toronto's preface.

I'm impressed that you took the time to present a thorough response to the plan, and I hope their rebuttal is more than just "Steve Munro is drunk on LRT Kool-aid."

The bit about Transit City and particularly Sheppard East I still think needs some discussion is the average operating speed of the line - if anything is going to turn the public against that construction it's that the TTC is only shooting for 23 km/h on the line. It's like they're setting themselves up for a reality where the cars get delayed by left turning vehicles and disagreeable traffic signals.

Actually it's not "alledged", it's a fact. Every pollster grapples with this because their careers depend on accuracy and validity. Any poll is only as useful as its sample methodology.

This makes no sense. Even if every member of SOS voted in this poll survey, that's only 16 votes. That'd mean, assumingly we all voted the same way (some SOSers might be less committed to the cause than others for all we know, or some just abstained from voting), 30 other non-SOS member forumers voted in favor of the SOS plan. This only gives the official plan a 5 vote lead, all things fair and equal. That's its so close is indictative of just how many weaknesses there are in the established TC plan. There is no clear majority for it (10 point lead or higher), even without SOS input.

I agree that these would be more thoughtful questions but the reality is that they're disingenuous. What you're really looking for is confirmation of support for your group, which you're not really getting. Even Daniel is amazed by this.

They're thoughtful questions because many Torontonians are of the camp that provincial/federal funding of city projects is a rarity so let's accept any and all handouts we can grab while the iron's hot; no matter the social, economic implications or long-term sustainability of the infrastructure works we build, destroy or postpone building. That 15% of Torontonians might benefit from TYSSE but 85% would personally benefit from a DRL or Eglinton subway line is a reality lost on many Transit City supporters. The suburbs-dominated city council cannot see the woods for the trees, and would rather see endless meandering subway or LRT lines that take over an hour start to finish to commute by; than to invest a little pork towards making travel a little easier for downtown/midtown workers (many of which come from the suburbs to work there).

But more importantly, even keithz confirmed that your group and these polls really aren't about indulging in escapist fantasy. They're about creating conditions that will actually kill significant in-progress transit expansion. So man up and be honest about it. Ask a clear, honest, and unequivocal question such as "do you agree that all transit city lines should be killed after the 2010 municipal election, any work done on them abandoned or undone, all unspent money returned, all jobs to be created put on hold, and that the city and province should not embark on any major projects unless and until they take the form of subways?"

I'm assuming anyone qualified enough to build/work on an LRT project is just as capable to build a subway. This mass unemployment you speak of is hypothetical at best. A few pipe relocations is not major too-far-gone-to-stop-now work that's been done, and consultants have been paid for their time. I don't think SOS ever intended to scale back the level of rapid transit in Toronto. In fact I think we're advocating for even more corridors and neighbourhoods to be served by mass transit, better integration with the 905 and the chance to build-up Sheppard and Eglinton to their full potential as the intersections around subway stations could be lined with high-occupancy retail and condo developments luring in investors, encouraging visitors/residents to explore more parts of the city which all generates revenue the city can put towards other social programs to make life here better. Look at the Sheppard corridor before and after the subway, all the infill development that has occured, and imagine how much busier the line would be had it connected to a major node on its eastern end. These are the lost opportunities that Transit City aims to derail. You may generate some mid-size scale development with road-median trams but you won't encourage many stop-and-go commuters to layover in these areas as much as you would with a subway. So beyond the basic functional purpose of metro (which given our climate is the most comfortable method of travel as well as being most highly used), there are serious economic and social factors to consider here as well.

That's fundamentally what the 2010 municipal elections should address, the sustainability and viability of the current Transit City plan and whether metro subways would be a better option where its feasible to extend one; not what pisses off special interest groups and LRT lobbyists the least.

There's a saying: don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Yet that's precisely what your group appears to be doing ... 3 years too late.

The good? Is what happened along 512 St Clair over the past five years representative of what's in the public's good, best interest? Is the TTC/politicians ignoring the concerns of residents and local business-owners whom these light-rail corridors directly affect and jeopardize livelihoods, doing what's in the public's good best interest? Be assured the SOS plan is not about perfection, we're just trying to bring to the public's attention that the money's available for metros if we'd just reassess and re-prioritize what needs to be built as what; so no need for anyone to be defeatist and give into poorly thought-out plans.

Always the straw men, huh? For the record, I seem to see both Tims and Starbucks throughout the subway facilitated avenuizations of Bloor and Yonge streets.

Where the Tim Horton's going to go through the Richview parklands, Humber and Don Valley flood plains?

Not in the underground section of the Eglinton LRT.

Which is not applicale to 66% of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT nor it users, neither the majority of the other 32 kilometes of TC Phase 1.

Not speaking for the group, but the major application of BRT would apply to the Finch Hydro Corridor, railroad/highway enbankment lands where applicable, and the median of Highway 27. These locations command a certain level of public safety

Things that are out of the way and not frequented by passers-by by definition do not command any level of public safety -- they are inherently less safe than a public street.

thus the stations would be heated enclosures

The same people that are designing the LRT would be in charge of designing your hypothetical BRT. If they didn't put them in on one, they won't put them in on the other. If you want heated stations, campaign for heated stations on the LRT.

up to 90 second headways possibly during rush hour on BRT routes or 40 trips per hour

Just because something is possible does not mean it will happen. There will never be buses at a 90 second headway along a hydro corridor with negligible walk-in traffic and no redevelopment potential.

As an aside, you find those overcrowded i.e. dangerous, metre-wide platforms down the median of Spadina to be safe?

They are a bit narrow. Fortunately, the Spadina car is quite frequent, so the wait is short. I fully expect platforms on suburban arterials to be much wider.

none of those shelters are protected against the elements nor with the TTC's perchant to cost cuts do I expect them to start.

But you expect them to not cost-cut your BRT?

Complete grade-separation for a route like Eglinton for instance, not just a measly 11 kilometres out of 33

Complete grade-separation costs 6x-10x more than a right-of-way with traffic lights.

It does not work like this.

I am glad they (the SOS) finalized their plan, but regard that plan as a prompt for the City Hall / TTC / Metrolinx to rethink parts of TC. No politician will take responsibility for cancelling all TC projects that are already in the pipeline.

Some sensible modifications of TC are possible nevetherless. IMO, that would be moving the subway / LRT transfer point on Sheppard further east (to Kennedy), and replacing Eglinton LRT with a subway that runs from Yonge to Pearson.

Reality check: Eglinton LRT is a subway in the most important section of its route. Ridership and a cost benefit analysis don't support building the rest of it underground.

And if your group is trying to deliver a prompt, it's going horribly wrong. Save Our Stubways is getting no attention beyond a small number of online transit geeks (myself included), and even then you''re failing to win over a majority of active UT members, even in an online poll with a strong self-selection bias for those in agreement with it. Outside of the immediate SOS group, reaction appears to be middling and mixed.

On top of that, no political candidates have aligned themselves with yourselves, let along a mayoral challenger. You've have received no media exposure. Nada. Unless you take the next logical step and run a slate of candidates, it's unlikely that this will change.

I believe SOS was right to present a plan that was the opposite of Transit City. Not because we don't believe in compromise, but because any compromise has to have the best elements of both plans. Had we started with a plan full of compromises, we would have simply ended with Transit City. In reality, we all fully expect that if we are successful all we'll get is compromises.

So there are compromises to make and that can be made. However, presenting a compromised vision to begin with is absolutely useless if you are trying to effect change.

What you're saying here is that the "plan" isn't really a plan that you believe in and stand for after all, but a bargaining chip. And anyone who wants your plan had better be ready for future disappointment once compromises are made: SOS is just another broken promise waiting to happen.

This makes no sense. Even if every member of SOS voted in this poll survey, that's only 16 votes. That'd mean, assumingly we all voted the same way (some SOSers might be less committed to the cause than others for all we know, or some just abstained from voting), 30 other non-SOS member forumers voted in favor of the SOS plan.

As usual, your analysis and reasoning are egregiously faulty. If SOS members aren't even bothering to vote for their own plan -- or are even voting against it as you have implied -- your group has even bigger problems that I thought. Good luck!

This only gives the official plan a 5 vote lead, all things fair and equal. That's its so close is indictative of just how many weaknesses there are in the established TC plan.

Um, no. Context is everything here: your group is unable to win over a significant plurality of UT members even though you've had a dedicated propaganda thread and been threadjacking for many, many months. Your group's spokespeople spew conspiracy theories, engage in a "lynch mob mentality", and proffer arguments based on straw men, false dichotomies, double standards, and torqued stats. These numbers would be a big wakeup call to any reasonable person.

Given how ineffectual your group has been, if it is to have any hope at all, you'd better all run for office. Seriously. That way if you win, you win, and if not, the people have spoken. Realistically, you have little hope of influencing the public agenda otherwise.

That 15% of Torontonians might benefit from TYSSE but 85% would personally benefit from a DRL or Eglinton subway line is a reality lost on many Transit City supporters. The suburbs-dominated city council cannot see the woods for the trees.

The Spadina extension is unrelated to the LRT being built, and the tradeoff you suggest between it and a downtown line is a false dichotomy. An Eglinton subway (ie underground rapid transit) is indeed being built as part of the LRT. The stats you offer here are also torqued and misleading since you do not account for the number of Torontonians benefitting from both the Eglinton LRT and the Spadina Expressway.

And btw the reason that council is "suburbs-dominated", which you clearly imply is unfair, has something to do with a little notion called rep by pop.

I'm assuming anyone qualified enough to build/work on an LRT project is just as capable to build a subway. This mass unemployment you speak of is hypothetical at best. A few pipe relocations is not major too-far-gone-to-stop-now work that's been done, and consultants have been paid for their time.

"Mass unemployment" is yet another of your straw man.

I wish that transit planning and construction were as simplistic as you imply, I really do. You're talking about building a 32km subway line from scratch. It would involve halting everything, throwing out all the work and planning done and going back to the drawing board, allowing community groups to weigh in, plans to be drawn up, considered and discussed, budgets debated and approved by three levels of government and two transit agencies, and then $15-20b ponied up once adjusted for inflation. Good luck. You're looking at 5-10 years to start and 15-20 years to finish.

I'm sure you and your pals will counter with more pie in the sky dreaming, but the reality is that no government would be able to fund your luxury line for a very long time.

So don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Last edited:
Flood plains and parklands: where a simple Tim Hortons could never possibly be built, but massive subway stations must.

I honestly thought SOS (who are a bunch of very passionate residents) would have already been in several newspapers, knocked on a few doors along Sheppard East, and have introduced themselves to Councillors such as Del Grande and Giambrone. Had they done that by early Fall 2009, they probably would have had a shot at getting people to re-think TC.

Last edited:
The problem is that their passion has gone so far as to blind them, resulting in all the straw men, non-sequiturs, double standards, conspiracy theories and false dichotomies. And you're right, they've done quite badly at reaching out beyond this website. Having the same initials (and goal) as the St Clair group probably didn't help.

And, unfortunately, some of them have at times appeared hell-bent on making themselves look like kooks.

pot_kettle_black.jpg

I think this graphic is perfect.

^ Apparently 15 years ago the TTC had started construction on a subway to a flood plain which by now would’ve seen more daily traffic than the Sheppard Line.

Back