News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 448     0 

Whose vision of transit in Toronto do you support?

Whose vision of transit in Toronto do you support?

• Total voters
I meant to post a response to that a while ago.

I think that Toronto's far flung system has really helped the TTC's ridership. The long and RT routes venturing far off into the suburbs has given a backbone to most of the bus system, and has made transit a favoured mode of transportation through a lot of the city.
However, more subways through downtown would have had some major benefits, notably more comfortable rides on the RT. So I'd say that Toronto really can't pick either/or: it needs to make a full comittment to transit everywhere. It might have been okay to cordon off the downtown area and set that as transit friendly and gotten the suburbs to either drive or take Go. But now that we have amazingly high system ridership on our bare bones subway system, it's seriously asking for expansion everywhere. A downtown DRL is needed to support the current downtown development that's just taking hold, while we just need to add some meat onto the subway network to convert people further out in the suburbs in a similar way to the success of Yonge and the B-D.

Personally I don't want a system based on VISA or MasterCard. Credit card companies are such crooks.

Then there is good news. Interac will also be an option for open payment starting next year. If you have a problem with that as well then maybe you can tell me how you plan on putting money onto your Presto card on a regular basis.

I meant to post a response to that a while ago.

I think that Toronto's far flung system has really helped the TTC's ridership. The long and RT routes venturing far off into the suburbs has given a backbone to most of the bus system, and has made transit a favoured mode of transportation through a lot of the city.
However, more subways through downtown would have had some major benefits, notably more comfortable rides on the RT. So I'd say that Toronto really can't pick either/or: it needs to make a full comittment to transit everywhere. It might have been okay to cordon off the downtown area and set that as transit friendly and gotten the suburbs to either drive or take Go. But now that we have amazingly high system ridership on our bare bones subway system, it's seriously asking for expansion everywhere. A downtown DRL is needed to support the current downtown development that's just taking hold, while we just need to add some meat onto the subway network to convert people further out in the suburbs in a similar way to the success of Yonge and the B-D.

It's obvious that a subway station has a greater catchment area than a bus or streetcar or LRT stop would have, that is implicitly obvious. However what effects has the current subway network had on the growth of the city and what effects would a denser more compact subway network have had? Would ridership numbers on the subway in isolation have been lower in a more compact system, why?

How did the long network of subway lines affect the development of the city? This is obvious by extending the subway far out into the suburbs the city was able to develop pockets of high density along the subway station nodes which are surrounded by relatively lower densities. This fact is clearly obvious in Toronto's planning over the last almost half century, the nodal development around a single (or two) transit station siphoning off development from the denser CBD. At the very least a denser downtown centric subway network would have fed and enabled the further intensification of the CBD (action that we are only really seeing start right now) while a network of streetcars/LRTs extending outward from the subway terminals would have enabled a more moderate density yet wider net of development in the suburbs.

I don't believe that ridership numbers would be significantly lower than what it is currently if the subway network were more compact, instead I believe that ridership behavior would be vastly different than what it is today. Perhaps more like NY's all day every day busy trains compared to our relatively empty trains outside of the main core and morning/afternoon rush hour. And I do believe that the city may have been better off with a denser core that tapers off into the suburbs.

Getting back to Vienna the key comparison would be the relative size of the two cities, Vienna is about 400 square km while Toronto is either 600 square km or 1700 square km depending on how wikipedia defines city and urban regions. Clearly a city that covers at minimum 1/3'd less land mass than the other does not have the same challenges to face when providing rapid transit.

Vienna metro still does not serve the whole urban area. Not even close. S-Bahn is what serves the outer suburbs.

As I understand it Vienna's/Berlin's/Hamburg's S-Bahn is similar to SF BART or the Mel/Syd train systems. More frequent trains and closer stops than commuter rail but less so than a subway.

It's obvious that a subway station has a greater catchment area than a bus or streetcar or LRT stop would have, that is implicitly obvious. However what effects has the current subway network had on the growth of the city and what effects would a denser more compact subway network have had? Would ridership numbers on the subway in isolation have been lower in a more compact system, why?
Yes, I think that ridership numbers would have been far lower if the subway wasn't extended out. Right now, people all across the city choose subway as their favoured mode of transport. If you were to isolate the system to the downtown Old Toronto areas, you would have taken a lot of the flexibility out of using the TTC, and much less people would have used it. A very high proportion of people downtown take transit anyways, and a majority of the ridership comes from people out in the suburbs bussing to the subway. That's not to say that service couldn't be improved downtown at all, but a majority of people you have left to get on transit are out in the suburbs.

How did the long network of subway lines affect the development of the city? This is obvious by extending the subway far out into the suburbs the city was able to develop pockets of high density along the subway station nodes which are surrounded by relatively lower densities. This fact is clearly obvious in Toronto's planning over the last almost half century, the nodal development around a single (or two) transit station siphoning off development from the denser CBD. At the very least a denser downtown centric subway network would have fed and enabled the further intensification of the CBD (action that we are only really seeing start right now) while a network of streetcars/LRTs extending outward from the subway terminals would have enabled a more moderate density yet wider net of development in the suburbs.
Is it really better to intensify the downtown core and leave the suburbs to rot? The truth is that, at least without a far flung YUS and B-D, the suburbs would not have developed any more densely, and would have just been more car-reliant than they are now. So, if we already have one of the biggest downtown districts between Canada and the US, what good will more crap in the CBD have against bringing high density and transit friendliness into the suburbs?

Getting back to Vienna the key comparison would be the relative size of the two cities, Vienna is about 400 square km while Toronto is either 600 square km or 1700 square km depending on how wikipedia defines city and urban regions. Clearly a city that covers at minimum 1/3'd less land mass than the other does not have the same challenges to face when providing rapid transit.
Vienna and Toronto have the same densities, while Toronto's density is heavily affected by it's vast park system. So really, when bypassing the parks through rapid transit, Toronto's actually denser than Vienna, and has a higher population. And on top of that, it's got huge density nodes out in the suburbs. Along Sheppard, Eglinton, Don Mills, Highway 27, etc are all screamingly obvious choices for RT, because they're high density corridors that serve a double function of a high walk in ridership while also extending RT service out to the suburbs. I'd take that kind of service over a super dense downtown core any day, especially when you realize that the core isn't doing that bad today, and still makes room for new developments in the suburbs such as the building going on at Agincourt and in North York right now. Again, the problem isn't that we should have chosen one or the other, it's that we need more RT in general. Any half competent city would have built the DRL years ago, and would have recognized the possibility to have RT routes attracting suburban riders and creating pockets of density throughout the city.

First off I never said that the suburbs would be left alone, instead of subways we would have built streetcar (and eventually LRT) lines out into the suburbs. Which according to some is a pancea above even a subway that solves all ills.

Yes, I think that ridership numbers would have been far lower if the subway wasn't extended out. Right now, people all across the city choose subway as their favoured mode of transport. If you were to isolate the system to the downtown Old Toronto areas, you would have taken a lot of the flexibility out of using the TTC, and much less people would have used it. A very high proportion of people downtown take transit anyways, and a majority of the ridership comes from people out in the suburbs bussing to the subway. That's not to say that service couldn't be improved downtown at all, but a majority of people you have left to get on transit are out in the suburbs.

I repeat my comment, we would not leave the suburbs without any transit at all. Just a mode that might be more suitable to the area. FWIW Vienna has a smaller population but has a daily ridership of 1.3 million vs Toronto's subway ridership of 900 000. You still believe that ridership would have suffered?

Is it really better to intensify the downtown core and leave the suburbs to rot? The truth is that, at least without a far flung YUS and B-D, the suburbs would not have developed any more densely, and would have just been more car-reliant than they are now. So, if we already have one of the biggest downtown districts between Canada and the US, what good will more crap in the CBD have against bringing high density and transit friendliness into the suburbs?

Who's leaving the suburbs to rot? If we provided streetcar and LRT routes extending out from the subway terminals (and obviously buses to supplement that) would that not encourage more transit use? If you bring the higher order transit closer to riders would that not attract them?

Vienna and Toronto have the same densities, while Toronto's density is heavily affected by it's vast park system. So really, when bypassing the parks through rapid transit, Toronto's actually denser than Vienna, and has a higher population. And on top of that, it's got huge density nodes out in the suburbs. Along Sheppard, Eglinton, Don Mills, Highway 27, etc are all screamingly obvious choices for RT, because they're high density corridors that serve a double function of a high walk in ridership while also extending RT service out to the suburbs. I'd take that kind of service over a super dense downtown core any day, especially when you realize that the core isn't doing that bad today, and still makes room for new developments in the suburbs such as the building going on at Agincourt and in North York right now. Again, the problem isn't that we should have chosen one or the other, it's that we need more RT in general. Any half competent city would have built the DRL years ago, and would have recognized the possibility to have RT routes attracting suburban riders and creating pockets of density throughout the city.

Gawhah? I challenge you to prove that Toronto is in fact more dense (when you remove parks) than Vienna. Observationally the reality seems to be the opposite, one just needs to look at the vast tracts of low density development in the East and North-West. Also Highway 27 doesn't even have subway service so how does that fit into the argument.

So according to you Toronto is denser, has a higher population, a more significant downtown core, and yet it's average daily ridership is 400 000 riders less than Vienna's?

First off I never said that the suburbs would be left alone, instead of subways we would have built streetcar (and eventually LRT) lines out into the suburbs. Which according to some is a pancea above even a subway that solves all ills.

I repeat my comment, we would not leave the suburbs without any transit at all. Just a mode that might be more suitable to the area. FWIW Vienna has a smaller population but has a daily ridership of 1.3 million vs Toronto's subway ridership of 900 000. You still believe that ridership would have suffered?
Yes, I realize that. But if you think that LRTs through the suburbs would have been better than the current YUS and B-D setup, you're dillusional. Again, Old Toronto ridership with the current subway layout it still quite high. If you were to just continue with more subway downtown, but not opening up trips such as to North York or Etobicoke or Scarborough, then you'll end up taking away trips by oversaturating downtown while confining transit trips to other parts of the city. Again, it's all about balance.

The reason that Vienna has such high ridership is that it's subway goes through almost the entire urban area. Vienna is almost 2/3 the size of Toronto, but has as much subways and much more Regional Rail, more rail than Go could ever accommodate relatively, even if it was at 5 minute headways. All of this means good connectivity. Toronto, comparitively, just has Downtown and the YUS and B-D snakes going through the city. This really reduces the ability to rely on Transit, especially when you have big nodal developments throughout the city that hold jobs, recreation centres and people that need connections. There are huge pockets of density in the city that aren't even close to rapid transit, and let me tell you that LRT all the way down to Eglinton isn't going to make someone want to take transit. Seriously, all this talk that LRT is magically going to make people want to take 30 minutes to get to the subway is total bullshit. Look to places where LRT is successful as a model. LRT is used for very short trips, rarely 6 km from RT. LRT could really work in Toronto along secondary corridors, connecting concession-following RT routes where the bus gets too crowded. But it'll never work if you have giant 12 km LRT lines trying to get people, and that's without your suggestion of truncating at Eglinton, Keele and Main St or wherever.

Gawhah? I challenge you to prove that Toronto is in fact more dense (when you remove parks) than Vienna. Observationally the reality seems to be the opposite, one just needs to look at the vast tracts of low density development in the East and North-West. Also Highway 27 doesn't even have subway service so how does that fit into the argument.
Just look at the numbers. Across the two cities, they're within 100 people/km of density. This is due to the fact that Toronto has the aforementioned very dense corridors, which means that these corridors that could fit RT lines would have a higher density in the RT's catchment area than Vienna might. Really, our big arterials like Eglinton, Sheppard or Don Mills, they're all incredibly dense in population. There's tonnes of apartment buildings all across there, and room for even more development. Vienna might have more rows and rows of medium density housing, but Toronto's got key corridors of very high density housing, which makes those corridors at least more dense than Vienna, which really doesn't get much more dense than the average city density. That's just how the city is built.

Fresh Start has made it clear he only wants subways because it is out of the way of cars. Do you deny this? There is more than enough evidence in threads to validate it. This is anti-transit as it gets. I have made it clear so many times, I favour subways where justified, but you and others just ignore it, because you want an LRT vs. Subway debate.

I will deny this! You will sully my good name no longer. In the 1960s a subway across Eglinton Avenue was justified: http://torontoist.com/2010/05/oh_eglinton_rapid_transit_service_where_art_thou.php BOOM! In the 1980s it was still justified. In 1995 they actually started to build one across the corridor. That you're trying to justify a 20-km light rail for the same price tag as a 14-km subway is despicable. The most productive surface light rail line in the city, 504/508, presently only carries 55,000 daily. A subway paralleling the same corridor would carry in excess of 250k, perhaps 300,000 daily users right off the bat.

If an area's not dense enough to justify a subway, yet, I still think it's inexcusable to have cars and tracks sharing roadway. When you consider how many hundreds of millions of dollars rail lines cost to build in the first place, it's utterly inexcusable to even consider not grade-separating the road and rail from each other. It’s not for the sake of getting transit out-of-the-way as you put, it's to make the roadways safer and more convenient for pedestrians and cyclists to use and trips faster for every type of commuter. The fact is, most people with money would rather drive, and if you try to simultaneously force them to endure worsened congestion AND pay to subsidize the transit line that's visibly responsible for worsening that congestion, there's going to be a backlash and resentment. Build the light rail line in a way that makes it appear to be convenient and NOT interfere with traffic, and people might support it.

Honestly, there is no argument in favor of Transit City that cannot be effectively countered with facts. I’d take the TTC’s ridership projections with a grain of salt as they are notorious for fudging the numbers if it suits the administration’s agendas. Here’s a more unbiased source, and I quote:

“We estimate that (i) the value of potential real estate developments along the Eglinton transportation corridor is at least $7-16 billion; (ii) 170,000 new residents and 85,000 new jobs could be accommodated along the corridor without disrupting existing neighbourhoods (indeed, in Etobicoke and Scarborough, existing neighbourhoods would be enhanced); (iii) daily ridership on the subway/LRT line would be 300,000-450,000 passengers; and (iv) peak passenger flows in the peak direction would be 30,000-45,000 passengers/hour. We recognize, however, that simply building this transportation corridor would not be sufficient to guarantee that development along the corridor sufficient to generate the additional riders and jobs would occur; a pro-active set of complimentary policies by the City would be needed.”

http://www.geog.utoronto.ca/info/fa...orts/Eglinton Report(8May2003, no photos).doc.

Even if the TTC’s ridership projections are to be believed (in 2003 a pphpd of 4100 was announced for less than 1/5th of the entire Eglinton Crosstown corridor, so either they were lying then or are lying now to shoehorn this light-rail option through since we all know the population density around Eglinton’s increasing). I get the feeling that the folks at Metrolinx have probably discovered some inconsistencies and drawbacks to Transit City, and they are offering alternatives. For example, on the one hand you have ads on TTC subways describing Transit City as being ‘rapid transit’, yet the Sheppard East community consultations - which I personally atteneded - showed the opposite. If the cabal of LRT advocates within city council were to disappear or be outnumbered by realists come October, there’s no reason why Metrolinx, the province and federal government would object to subway expansion.

And just so that I'm not accused of being myopic in my promotion of a single modal solution, even electric buses have certain advantages over electric streetcars. They are quieter, without the squeal of steel wheels on steel rail. They don't need to tear up the streets to lay rails that are a nuisance to cars and a major hazard for bicycles (I speak from experience). They can manoeuvre around obstructions, thus are less likely to be blocked (the battery/intermittent contact designs can even be rerouted on other streets). Best of all, they have much better traction, thus can climb steeper grades and have much shorter stopping distances, leading to fewer accidents. BRT installations using these types of vehicles, particularly articulated ones, would be more than adequate for moderately busy corridors such as Finch Crosstown, Kingston, Albion-Wilson-York Mills-Ellesmere, and Sheppard East.

But back to Eglinton's proposed light rail; how will the TC LRVs handle the steep changes in elevation around the Eglinton corridor? Let’s compare to actual light rail in Boston. The trucks don't seem to be able to find the proper orientation relative to the rails, so they oscillate back and forth. The result is that the vehicle weaves from side to side like a drunken sailor. Boston's PCC's used to do this whenever they got up to speed in the downtown subway or along the Mattapan High Speed Line. Many low-floor LRV's suffer from this same phenomenon. Doesn’t bode well for Eglinton light-rail even through the tunnelled section now does it?

The project team's conclusion that streetcar will have lower operating costs on a per rider basis than say Bus Rapid Transit is based on an extraordinarily rosy prediction of incredible ridership growth in the corridor far in excess of TTC's service area as a whole. This is absolutely unbelievable given the demographic and geographic realities of Rexdale and Malvern-Rouge River. Those predictions are necessary if TTC and Metro are to get all that free federal money. The basic fact is that streetcars cost more to operate than buses and will remain so until $300 per barrel crude. What I have been trying to promote here on UT is a seamless cross-town service in a dedicated reserved right-of-way across the Finch corridor using the hydro fields where applicable; one that links up to the Sheppard corridor, to Westwood Mall, to the airport and Mississauga, to Malvern Town Centre, to Scarborough Centre, even to Durham Region. I would gladly trade an 11 km 1.2 billion Finch West LRT for that, ditto Sheppard East’s 14 km $1.1 billion boondoggle.

If wanting real rapid transit upgrades for the entire city, including base-fare interregional links - not just a measly 51 kms for $8 billion that'll enforce more transfer points than what presently exists under the bus system - is what you consider makes me anti-transit, so be it. Better I be that than anti-common sense!!

I will deny this! You will sully my good name no longer.
Your "good" name was sullied a long time ago ... and it was blackened completely when you started supporting an anti-transit NIMBY like Ford.

And I'm not sure your point ... we are building a subway under Eglinton. Much the same extent as the first phase from the 1969 plan.

Your "good" name was sullied a long time ago ... and it was blackened completely when you started supporting an anti-transit NIMBY like Ford.

And I'm not sure your point ... we are building a subway under Eglinton. Much the same extent as the first phase from the 1969 plan.

False. We are building a partially grade separated LRT line on Eglinton.

I've seen no evidence that the current administration is anti-car; between all the freshly paved roads and the below market price Green P parking lots.

I know you'd prefer them to be anti-car, as it would make it easier for your fascist types to bring in an anti-transit person ... however there is little basis for your statement.

"fascist types"? Lol, one could claim that that's precisely what is in office right now.

The TTC and City have no one but themselves to blame for the lack of confidence being displayed by some groups with regard to Transit City. The City has repeatedly shown that the movement of auto traffic far supersedes transit, and that culture will not change anytime soon. A major reason why normal people end up hating light rail so much, it doesn't just do "nothing" for average commuters ... it actively and intentionally makes traffic and congestion worse. Screw glassy-eyed predictions of happy commuters riding light rail 20 kms to work. It doesn't happen. Anywhere. Light rail lines that operate along the medians of streets can avoid most traffic tie-ups; however, they generally are restricted to the same speed limits as the adjacent traffic lanes. The reality is that a few thousand people who would have taken the bus anyway have a nicer ride to work, while several hundred thousand of their taxpaying neighbors pay dearly for it and endure worse gridlock as a direct result. There is not a single light rail line ANYWHERE in North America that has meaningfully attracted enough former drivers to compensate for the worsened gridlock caused by the light rail line itself. The light-rail horror stories that I’m hearing about now from out of San Jose, Portland and San Francisco are astounding. The busiest lines in San Francisco are bus routes! The Central Subway light rail installation there provides a great example of why building rail for the sake of rail is bad (it's tremendously expensive, and promises to provide worse service than the bus route it replaced).

You especially might be interested to know that the high operating costs of sustaining the light-rail service in San Jose (where ridership is well below predictions) that the transit district had to make massive cuts to bus service in order to compensate. So while Team Ford outright informs you on what is to come if the TTC doesn't start to get its finances in check; the left will try to decieve you into thinking that unwarranted exorbitantly pricy LRT operation is worth sacrificing several bus routes and service hours. Service cuts are bound to happen no matter who's elected as funding has to come from somehwere. Responsible local governments should opt for Bus Rapid Transit and not give in to the temptation to install light rail systems like this just because they look appealing. In North American context, light rail advocates are their own worst enemies because they allow anti-car ideology to color their agenda, and eventually let their guard down and publicly praise increased gridlock as a good thing ... then wonder why everyone thinks they've lost their minds. :rolleyes:

Transit and cars don't have to be natural enemies, nor should they be. Drop the ideology, and both can be accommodated. Shared right of way, however, is an expensive mistake that just slows down the rail line and causes worse traffic. It doesn't matter how many people a light rail line could carry if they used it instead of driving.

I pay my taxes, I'd like a functional system of public transport, please.

"fascist types"? Lol, one could claim that that's precisely what is in office right now.
??? One minute you claim they are socialists ... now you say they are facsist.

What kind of frigging intellectual do you claim to be?

You know damn well that transit in Toronto is not comparable to San Jose ... does this look like what we are building?
sj-lrt-santa-teresa-stn-guadalupe-fwy-jan1998_transit-rider.jpg

Ironically, it looks more like what I think you'd like to build! ROTFLMAO

Try again ...

I don't need the approval of a majority of posters to know that my inputs are valid. Although fewer are coming to my defense these days, a lot of forumers still know that I'm the furthest thing away from a anti-transit NIMBY as they come. And let's just cut the BS and admit that Eglinton LRT will NOT suffice the present or future needs of this corridor. If LRT can operate at twice the speed of buses and be upgraded cost effectively to meet customer demand, I am all for it. Unfortunatly these condidions are rare. Answer the points I have raised to Justin:

How will the TC LRVs handle the steep changes in elevation around the Eglinton corridor when similar vehicles used in Boston have trunks that don't seem to be able to find the proper orientation relative to the rails, resulting in them oscillating back and forth?

How will TC LRTs acheive rapid operating speeds they generally are restricted to the same speed limits as the adjacent traffic lanes?

If traffic signal pre-emption is used, the frequency of trains is generally restricted to six minutes so that the traffic lights are disrupted no more frequently than every third cycle. This results in a limit of 10 trains per hour. How can TC achieve greater frequency (particularly during rush hours) and not have that impact operating speeds (affixed to rails, a vehicle can only move as fast as the ones ahead of it)?

On-street light rail stations must fit the length of a city block. This generally restricts the length of a light rail train to three 100 foot vehicles though there are rare instances where four-car trains are used (I can't imagine such lengths will be permitable through the Golden Mile or Etobicoke). The capacity of a three-car train is about 450 passengers based on the standard for the number of passengers per unit area that is typically used in the United States. The combined effect of maximum train size and maximum train frequency is that the maximum line capacity is 4500 passengers per hour per direction. By comparison, subways can operate much longer trains at frequencies as low as every 90 seconds. Subway capacities well in excess of 20,000 passengers per hour per direction are feasible. With Eglinton exceeding the threshold of 4500pphpd (according to several studies Eglinton RT may in fact be closer to 10,000pph provided the expected urban intensification and route conversion) is not pennywise and pound foolish not to build for the demands of the future - especially since Eglinton LRT may in fact cost more per kilometre to build than a subway along the same route?

The principal objection that is made to on-street light rail is safety. The potential for conflicts with motor vehicle and pedestrian traffic is pretty obvious. How will road median TC LRT through mixed traffic make situations any safer or more convenient for transit users than waiting curbside in bus shelters where the transit vehcile exits the roadway and pulls right up to the sidewalk for ease of access?

Back