News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 459     0 

Whole Foods

Whole Foods New Stores

Not a lot of details but John Mackey, co-CEO of Whole Foods said this during their most recent investor conference call:

"Whole Foods said it also was ramping up expansion in Canada, where it recently reviewed “several†markets and signed deals for “a couple†of new stores. We are doing very well there,†Mackey said. “The two markets that we're in, Toronto and Vancouver, are doing extremely well for us. So we do anticipate definitely many more stores in Canada.â€

samsonyuen

Where is the Eglinton store? At the SW corner with Yonge? Or the parking lot at Dunfield?

What's happened to Sherway?

Eglinton is former York Movie theatre and the adjacent parking lot.

Sherway, no clue what happened, I know it got held up by Sears who threw a fit at losing the parking, but then Whole Foods had its financial issues in the states, think this one may be dead or just dormant.

Not a lot of details but John Mackey, co-CEO of Whole Foods said this during their most recent investor conference call:

"Whole Foods said it also was ramping up expansion in Canada, where it recently reviewed “several” markets and signed deals for “a couple” of new stores. We are doing very well there,” Mackey said. “The two markets that we're in, Toronto and Vancouver, are doing extremely well for us. So we do anticipate definitely many more stores in Canada

As noted in my post a page back, there 2 new 'announced' stores for Toronto + 1 expansion, and there is ( I understand) a tentative deal in Ottawa for Lansdowne Park.

I have nothing new to confirm yet, I will look into it.............

But I do know they have seriously looked at (not sure about any signings) Montreal, London, K-W, Markham, Richmond Hill.

I believe the majority of their focus has been on an Ontario build out, then entering Quebec.

Their BC stores are doing great, but with 4 in Vancouver, its about the 4th most served market by them now after Southern Cal, Chicago and New York. Not a lot of room for more stores (though perhaps a rebuild or 2). I imagine though they may be having a serious look at Victoria or possibly one good sized interior city like a Kelowna

Planet Organic filed for creditor protection earlier this year; they are weighed down, I don't see Whole Foods as a buyer as most their locations are small and not that attractive to WH; though I wonder if Whole Foods might eye the Planet Organic flagship in Edmonton as its 20,000sq ft + and might make a good entry for them.

Not much real news from me there, I will try to get some hard facts.

Should add, the big thing to watch for is Whole Foods building a warehouse here.

Right now they don't have one, the Ontario stores are shipped from a warehouse in Michigan.

Once the warehouse goes in here, Whole Foods Canada will become its own region within the company structure and growth will likely become more aggressive.

If they do build a warehouse here, I could see it being located in Mississauga or Brampton. We have TONS of warehouses here.

What's the other announced store aside from Square One? Are you referring to Sherway?

No.

Hullmark Center, North York, Yonge + Sheppard

WF Yorkville was asking purchasers to volunteer to mark their postal code on sheets at the checkout counters last week. It appears they are starting to collect data to see where everyone is coming from.

Talk about jumping the gun. They're stating to advertise around Yonge and Sheppard. I got a flyer in the North York mirror last weekend.

The sales weren't THAT enticing that I'd commute to Oakville or Yorkville for my groceries! lol

WF Yorkville was asking purchasers to volunteer to mark their postal code on sheets at the checkout counters last week. It appears they are starting to collect data to see where everyone is coming from.
That's a fairly standard practice and is often used for advertising purposes; it may or may not have anything to do with potential new locations.

New Article from Yonge St. Media......suggests that Whole Foods is looking at Bayview, just north of Eglinton, the former car dealership.

If true, to me, this calls into question the Eglinton/Dunfield site, that would be 2 stores awfully close together.

Link and Article follow:

http://www.yongestreetmedia.ca/devnews/1860bayview0818.aspx

Starbank Developments has run into some opposition to its plans for a 1.25-acre site at 1860 Bayview Avenue, the location of the former Brennan Pontiac Buick dealership.

"It's gone to committee twice," says Councillor John Parker, whose ward begins across the street from the proposed retail development, which Parker has been led to believe will include a Whole Foods grocery store. "The committee deferred its decision. The applicant appealed the deferral, which gave rise to the debate to whether a deferral is an appealable event. Before that was fully adjudicated, the applicant put forward another application in July, and that was refused, and that refusal has been appealed to the OMB."

As Parker describes it, the community's opposition to the plan is not an opposition to a new Whole Foods so much as the methods he says Starbank is using to get approval, Instead of applying for a re-zoning, which would trigger a public consultation, they are seeking a minor variance, which could avoid any input from the residents of the two affected wards.

Parker is interested in the development because of the increased traffic he expects any large retail site would generate in his ward as well as its neighbour.

Parker believes the project proposal is for 50,000 square feet on four levels, two underground. Starbank's website describes it as 80,000 square feet on two levels.

Writer: Bert Archer
Source: John Parker

Yes it is true that Whole Foods has looked at this site on Bayview; and I wasn't aware it's gone to OMB; Loblaws is looking at the Eglinton & Dunfield condo site now.

For the Mississauga denizens in our group:

(from the Yorkville store's FB page)

Join the Celebration! Whole Foods Market coming to Square One - Opening 2011.
Join us to celebrate the groundbreaking of our newest Ontario store in Mississauga. Enjoy great food and special musical guests!
Parking and event will be held in the Square One parking lot north of Sears, off Rathburn Rd between Duke of York Blvd and City Centre Dr.
RSVP to mw.squareonersvp@wholefoods.com

An email I received from Yorkville WFM today says the 2011 expansion will add 9,000 square feet.

Its my understanding that.....

The Bakery and Prepared foods will shift towards the expansion zone/area, and that the pizza/sandwich station will move into that space too, consolidating 'prepared foods'.

Whole Body is moving to where the bakery is now......

Not too sure about the rest...........

Back