News   Jul 15, 2024
 412     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 563     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 567     0 

Who didn't see this coming? (MLSE raises Leaf ticket prices)

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Leafs off-season move: Raise ticket priceMay 04, 2007 12:52 PM
The price for mediocrity has risen for Toronto Maple Leafs season ticket holders.

Leafs season ticket holders will pay nearly six per cent more to watch the Buds at the Air Canada Centre in 2007-08. The highest priced ducats have been raised the most with platinum and gold sides going up to $182 each from $171.52. The lowest priced seats, purples, have been raised to $37 from $34.70.

Richard Peddie, the president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, refutes the notion they're taking advantage of a captive audience. He notes that subscribers were notified of the increase in February and 99 per cent have renewed.

"Show me businesses that have not passed on costs of the last three, four years," said Peddie. "That's not being greedy. I think in real dollars that dollar today is still worth less in real buying terms to us than it was four years ago because we're not keeping up with inflation. I think our behaviour in the last couple of years has not been greedy at all."

Randy Starkman

----

As with airline flights, it's still worth the drive to Buffalo for better and cheaper hockey.

Richard Peddie, the president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, refutes the notion they're taking advantage of a captive audience. He notes that subscribers were notified of the increase in February and 99 per cent have renewed.

As if notifying them in February somehow means they aren't taking advantage of a captive audience :p.

Those seats usually go to businesses anyways.

It's kind of funny that Mr. Peddie is not mentioning the fact that the Can. dollar has risen by 25% in the past four years. Pretty much all his contracts are in US dollars, therefore his salary costs have actually gone down, nevermind the cap.

It's kind of funny that Mr. Peddie is not mentioning the fact that the Can. dollar has risen by 25% in the past four years. Pretty much all his contracts are in US dollars, therefore his salary costs have actually gone down, nevermind the cap.

Ha! Good point. And Leafs fans will continue to attend the games. Luckily I'm not a Leaf fan (or fan of any sport, really) so I won't be getting screwed in that respect. But they're in the business to make money. If the market can handle the price increase, they're well within their rights to charge more.

Apparently, 20 percent of the games will now be shown on Leaf$ TV, a premium subscription channel, for the 07-08 season. This even more than last year.

ML$E strikes again!

I see they're keeping Ferguson. That's better reason to keep me away from that rink.

Ferguson has made some bad decisions, but he's also made some good moves too - so far he's drafted some good young talent, made some pretty good signings (Kaberle, Gill, etc.) but those are cancelled out by the McCabe, Kubina and Raycroft blunders, the last of which was particularly bad.

I hope he doesn't overpay Sundin.

Back