News   Apr 19, 2024
 983     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 683     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

What's the future for the Conservative Party?

The most frustrating thing for me is the lack of urban conservatives in Canada. You would think the conservatives would want to line up with the moneyed interests residing in most urban areas. But they don't. If they were a little smarter, they could be dominating Ontario.

Sadly, that leaves little choice for a voter like me. Either Liberal or toss away (Green party).

Rona Ambrose might be the best gift the Liberals ever got. She is a terrible interim leader who somehow doesn't understand why the party was reduced to official opposition.

Same here! If the CPC (and NDP) are this messed up, Trudeau should have no problem being re-elected.

Lets just hope the Liberals will do a good job running this country over the years to come. But so far I'd say things are off to a good start.

The most frustrating thing for me is the lack of urban conservatives in Canada. You would think the conservatives would want to line up with the moneyed interests residing in most urban areas. But they don't. If they were a little smarter, they could be dominating Ontario.

Sadly, that leaves little choice for a voter like me. Either Liberal or toss away (Green party).

I thought the old Federal PC might qualify - but of course they have been marginalized by the reactive, predominantly rural/western bunch.

AoD

I really think it is for the best if the CPC goes back to being Reform and the PC's. The added bonus would be that the Liberals would have an even better chance of staying in power!

Last edited:
Same here! If the CPC (and NDP) are this messed up, Trudeau should have no problem being re-elected.
The last thing we need is an arrogant, power-assuming Liberal gov't in Ottawa. I think Trudeau's doing a fine job thus far, but let's hope he at least feels he's got some competitive pressure. Unlike Wynn, who after winning a majority after the gas plant and other scandals must have looked at her advisors and said, man, these electors are morons.

Yeah, I wouldn't want that either. In Ontario, all three parties suck, so it isn't hard for the Liberals to win.

I was talking with my dad about the weak dollar and oil prices today. He routinely votes CPC/PC and doesn't blame Trudeau for any of it. It is just something that happens. Despite this, the CPC goes after the PM for it and puts 100% of the blame on his shoulders.

KatieSimpsonCTV 2:28pm via TweetDeck
Huge laughs from the Liberals when Rona Ambrose says in first 100 days, Liberals have burned through Conservative surplus.
But isn't it true? The Liberal Finance Minister just announced at $7 billion surplus for FY 2015. Meanwhile he's predicting massive deficits for FY 2016 and beyond. Surely that suggest the Liberals are burning cash hard?

But isn't it true? The Liberal Finance Minister just announced at $7 billion surplus for FY 2015. Meanwhile he's predicting massive deficits for FY 2016 and beyond. Surely that suggest the Liberals are burning cash hard?

The 7 billion is for the first 11 months of fiscal 2016 (ie up to the end of February of the fiscal year ending on March 31 2016).

Well it certainly shows they were, either, lying or grossly incompetent on the campaign trail when the continually said the tories were lying about being in surplus...the tories just did not know how big their modest surplus was :).......and it seems our fiscal position was able to sustain itself on a 70 cent dollar and $30 oil.

The 7 billion is for the first 11 months of fiscal 2016 (ie up to the end of February of the fiscal year ending on March 31 2016).

Well it certainly shows they were, either, lying or grossly incompetent on the campaign trail when the continually said the tories were lying about being in surplus...the tories just did not know how big their modest surplus was :).......and it seems our fiscal position was able to sustain itself on a 70 cent dollar and $30 oil.

The PBO looked at the accounting in the Liberal budget and came to the same conclusion as many others, myself included, which is to say, they padded the deficit quite a bit.

There are two clear ways in which they did this, one was upping the 'contingency' to $6B the other was low-balling economic growth to well below 'consensus estimates'.

Those two measures alone, excluding any under-spending, suggest a current deficit closer to 18B (2016-2017). That also doesn't take into account a modest interest
savings from debt that will not have been incurred when last years numbers come in better than projected.

Now, I can't speak to their reasoning with any certainty.

But it would be my guess that there are three things at work.

The first is genuine uncertainty, particularly where the price of oil and other commodities is concerned.

The second is political, both from the point of view of 'blame the last guy' for anything bad; but also from the point of view that
you always want to show at the next election that you under promised and over delivered rather than the other way around.

Finally, I would suggest that one of the Liberals (potentially) most costly promises was a new Health Accord with the provinces.

So far as I can tell, the budget does not have a specific marker for those costs.

So they may be leaving themselves fiscal room for a commitment could easily run $3B per year or more.

Back