News   Mar 28, 2024
 363     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 365     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 711     0 

What's the future for the Conservative Party?

That seems to be my impression -- I think Conservatives target Chinese and South Asians more for potential voters, but it could be just perception based on the suburban GTA.

I've actually wondered how people in the US got those types of statistics-- I didn't know before whether they were based off opinion polls or exit polls, and how they got a representative sample which also reflected race/gender -- perhaps someone surveys you on demographic categories and then ask who you voted for?

Maybe Canadians are just more private about this kind of info -- racial/ethnic questions seem less common more generally on forms and tend to more optional than in the US, I've noticed.

Well Blacks and Hispanics each represent 12-15% of the US population (and Asians are all included as a group) so it's easier to get a good sample size, for one thing. The size of each of these two groups exceeds the population of Canada!

Well Blacks and Hispanics each represent 12-15% of the US population (and Asians are all included as a group) so it's easier to get a good sample size, for one thing. The size of each of these two groups exceeds the population of Canada!

That's true. One thing I don't quite understand is why Canadian visible minorities are officially divided into so many smaller categories when it comes to Asian origins (eg. national origins like Chinese or Filipino are given an entire category with the same ranking as say, Latin American, or Black or South Asian, which are much larger geographical or racial categories). What is particularly special about those specific nationality-origin ancestries that get their own category?

That seems to be my impression -- I think Conservatives target Chinese and South Asians more for potential voters, but it could be just perception based on the suburban GTA.

Here's the reasons why I think Chinese support for the Conservatives is higher than it is among South Asians. First, the Chinese community is wealthier (and even if one isn't that wealthy, they're more likely to be living in more expensive areas than South Asians are) and often lean right on fiscal issues. Second, South Asians almost certainly felt more stigmatized by Conservative messaging. Obviously South Asian Muslims weren't voting for Harper, but even other groups might have felt by stereotyped/targeted. For instance, Sikhs have often been mistaken for Muslims by racists and the niqab obsession may have reminded them of the Reform Party's fuss over turbans in the RCMP.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-niqab-debate-citizenship-turban-rcmp-1.3244817

ETA: The Conservatives also more aggressively targeted the Chinese community and ran more Chinese candidates than the other parties.

http://www.thestar.com/news/federal...ur-values-harper-tells-chinese-canadians.html

Last edited:
Maybe it's worth noting that even in the polling figures for the 2014 vs 2011 provincial elections, there were signs of affluent/aspirational-class Chinese swinging Con-ward: most particularly in eastern Richmond Hill and NW Markham, while Scarbrough-Agincourt say the highest PC share in the 416 in '14 (yes, higher than Doug Holyday in Etobicoke-Lakeshore!)

Paul McLeod ‏@pdmcleod 33m33 minutes ago
Wow so Harper leaves the caucus meeting not 10 minutes in. So much for the airing of grievances.

He is this close from retiring...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-interim-leader-vote-1.3306152

Reefer Madness is the interim CPC leader...I love it!

http://ipolitics.ca/2015/11/06/the-divided-soul-of-the-post-harper-conservative-party/

The divide in the party is noticeable...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stephen-harper-political-right-1.3306516

Harper's legacy.

Last edited:
That Barbaric Cultural Practices snitch lines was one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard proposed...

"Ms. Leitch has said it was not communicated well."

Some delusional thinking on Ms. Leitch's part there. Blame the communications strategy. Not the terrible idea itself.

There is a good set of recent precedents where a political party latched on to an idea that could garner majority support (at least according to polls), but then they overplay their hand and scare off Canadians. The Tories should have learned from the Marois and Hudak examples, but instead ran straight into the same trap.

Kellie Leitch: what a nitwit
page_Kellie_Leitch_Flaherty_Newser.jpg
6536833_f260.jpg

Is that Pat? Seriously though, is this the best and brightest that the CPC think should lead then in an election?

Last edited:
People defending Harper are missing something huge. The last PM to win four straight elections was all the way back in 1908.

You obviously didn't follow this election. Conservative people are now saying that the niqab and Barbaric Cultural Practices nonsense backfired big time. Their whole campaign was nasty and mean spirited. Are you an "old stock" Canadian?

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/polit...arper-campaign-for-desperate-damaging-tactics
You could kind of tell by my name that I’m neither an “old stock” Canadian nor of British of French ethnicity but I have no problem with that comment. Then again I’m not hypersensitive about my ethnicity. I do recognize that Canada is based on Franco-Anglo culture and there are families that have been living here for generations.

As for the niqab, I see nothing wrong with Harper’s position on it. In fact from what I recall the majority of Canadians were in agreement with him on that matter, although the issue itself was of minor importance. I don’t know about you but my Canada is not one where women can be treated as thralls just for the sake of not offending a few misogynists who refuse to integrate. As far as I know the niqab is not mentioned anywhere in the Koran; it’s a sexist and misogynistic tool used to oppress women by automatically assuming they are all sluts.

As for the barbaric cultural practices hotline, this is a perfect example of image beats substance. The principle is good but the problem is that Harper didn’t use “hip” and “progressive” language. Or am I wrong when I say that honour killings, abuse of women and forced marriages are barbaric? Or do the rights of women not matter?

Re: East Asian Canadians. It’s not only here but East Asians tend to vote Republican in the States as well. Yes somebody did mentioned they typically have high incomes in comparison to other ethnicities but it’s also that they have nothing to gain from the “diversity programs” agenda, typically promoted by the left leaning parties, because these are usually geared towards “have not” ethnicities, which they are not. I recall reading an article in the New York Times 7-8 years ago stating that Asians suffer a lot more than whites because of affirmative action in universities.

Last edited:
You could kind of tell by my name that I’m neither an “old stock” Canadian nor of British of French ethnicity but I have no problem with that comment. Then again I’m not hypersensitive about my ethnicity. I do recognize that Canada is based on Franco-Anglo culture and there are families that have been living here for generations.

As for the niqab, I see nothing wrong with Harper’s position on it. In fact from what I recall the majority of Canadians were in agreement with him on that matter, although the issue itself was of minor importance. I don’t know about you but my Canada is not one where women can be treated as thralls just for the sake of not offending a few misogynists who refuse to integrate. As far as I know the niqab is not mentioned anywhere in the Koran; it’s a sexist and misogynistic tool used to oppress women by automatically assuming they are all sluts.

As for the barbaric cultural practices hotline, this is a perfect example of image beats substance. The principle is good but the problem is that Harper didn’t use “hip” and “progressive” language. Or am I wrong when I say that honour killings, abuse of women and forced marriages are barbaric? Or do the rights of women not matter?

Re: East Asian Canadians. It’s not only here but East Asians tend to vote Republican in the States as well. Yes somebody did mentioned they typically have high incomes in comparison to other ethnicities but it’s also that they have nothing to gain from the “diversity programs” agenda, typically promoted by the left leaning parties, because these are usually geared towards “have not” ethnicities, which they are not. I recall reading an article in the New York Times 7-8 years ago stating that Asians suffer a lot more than whites because of affirmative action in universities.

And why is there a need for such a hotline? If you see someone breaking the laws of this country, call the police or 222-TIPS. No one was advocating for this hotline but yet they brought it. How much will this hotline cost? WTF is a barbaric cultural practice and who gets to define it? So they lost because their hotline wasn't hip enough? Are you kidding me? This is not about any womans rights or honour killings. They needed a political wedge issue to divide up the votes in Quebec and they used this and the niqab issue. Thankfully they failed woefully. I have been in Canada for 20 years and have never seen this racial/ethnic/religious baiting politics before and I hope it's the last time we see this crap.

Useless things like this and this niqab issue which I found out affected only 2 women are why they got canned and the Liberals went from 30 odd seats to 184. Now they can spend the next 4 years in the time out box. I don't care what no survey about Canadians think about this niqab issue. People aren't spending their whole day worrying about no damn niqab issue affecting 2 people. We are more concerned about money in our pockets and why the economy has been so weak under their watch. I wonder why they weren't mentioning their stellar economic record during the past 10 years. Anemic growth, huge deficits even though Paul Martin left them billions in surplus, added billions to the country's debt, and the country has gone through 2 recessions under their watch. Seems cutting taxes isn't the magic solution to every economic problem like they wanted us to believe. It's time for someone else to have a chance. They can go stay in the time out box.

Last edited:

Wait a minute here - you seem to have left no room that women can choose to wear it on their own as part of their faith (which was the case for the women who went to court over the issue). We don't go about telling nuns that they should drop their headcovering and black smocks - because it is their choice. The important thing here is that the choice is not out of coercion. The comfort level of the majority of Canadians have nothing to do with it - considering the majority of Canadians a) don't consider it an issue of such import and b) have no issue with overarching legislation that dealt with it on a rights basis.

Sure, and honour killing and abuse is something that you want to call a "Barbaric practices" hotline about, instead of 911?

AoD

Last edited:

Back