News   May 02, 2024
 287     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 172     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 200     0 

What's Cooking?

Baking is cooking, right? My cupcakes for Easter dinner last night. Lavender cake, cream cheese buttercream. Sugar. Rush.
IMG_5328.jpeg
IMG_5330.jpeg

Last night, the husband roasted a chicken - but it was one from the Ferme des Voltigeurs in Drummondville QC, that I spotted at the Manulife Centre grocery store while waiting for an old lady standing in front of the standard chickens to make up her mind. A better quality bird makes a huge difference. If anyone can recommend their favourite place for great Ontario fresh chickens, I'm all ears.

What marinade did you use for the Chicken?

Looks like Jasmine Rice?

Arugula ........hmmm, w/lemon and olive oil?
The marinade is an already prepared sauce by the brand My Asian Gourmet but any Asian/Thai/Indonesian/Malaysian satay would work.

The rice is your typical Thai jasmine rice cooked with cup of Aroy-d coconut milk (substitute one cup of water for coconut milk).

Salad dressing is your basic all-around Middle Eastern/Lebanese fattoush dressing: lemon juice, olive oil, fresh ground pepper, pomegranate molasses, and sumac.

Yes I know there's a lot of different flavours going on here lol.

The marinade is an already prepared sauce by the brand My Asian Gourmet but any Asian/Thai/Indonesian/Malaysian satay would work.

The rice is your typical Thai jasmine rice cooked with cup of Aroy-d coconut milk (substitute one cup of water for coconut milk).

Salad dressing is your basic all-around Middle Eastern/Lebanese fattoush dressing: lemon juice, olive oil, fresh ground pepper, pomegranate molasses, and sumac.

Its Toronto-fusion! Nothing says Toronto, like like an Indonesian-Thai-Lebanese dinner combo!

The only thing missing is the peanut sauce and some raw cucumbers and onions.

AoD

The marinade came with a peanut sauce but I didn’t take a picture of it.

Though I will say, depending on the style of satay I some times prefer not having the peanut sauce.

Easy to cheat in any case - just use crunchy peanut butter if you have it + sambal (or sriracha) + lime juice + soy + sugar to taste (water to thin out to the right consistency). Not exactly authentic but it will do.

AoD

Easy to cheat in any case - just use crunchy peanut butter if you have it + sambal (or sriracha) + lime juice + soy + sugar to taste (water to thin out to the right consistency). Not exactly authentic but it will do.

AoD
I will use this recipe when I cheat with my DIY satay marinade which is:
Peanut butter mixed with a bit of hot water to get it moving into a slurry, generic curry powder (eg. think No Name brand), a smidge of cayenne and 1 clove of grated garlic.

Made Taiwanese popcorn chicken tonight:

862BFCCA-0834-4620-B975-A923418379B9.jpeg

Marinate cut up 1” chicken chunks with finely ground garlic, light soy sauce, Shaoxing wine (or Sherry), sugar, Five Spice Powder, ground white pepper and salt. Marinate for 2h or over night.

Coat with sweet potato starch and fry until gold. Remove and let it cool down to touch, then refry again for extra crispiness.

Serve with white rice.

Optional: fry up some Thai basil leaves or spinach leaves and combine with the fried chicken.

Made Taiwanese popcorn chicken tonight:

View attachment 470891

Marinate cut up 1” chicken chunks with finely ground garlic, light soy sauce, Shaoxing wine (or Sherry), sugar, Five Spice Powder, ground white pepper and salt. Marinate for 2h or over night.

Coat with sweet potato starch and fry until gold. Remove and let it cool down to touch, then refry again for extra crispiness.

Serve with white rice.

Optional: fry up some Thai basil leaves or spinach leaves and combine with the fried chicken.

Looks great, not diet-food mind you! LOL, but good food rarely is!

Back