566     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 946     3 

What's Cooking?

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
A new thread to discuss your latest culinary creations/indulgences.

I'll begin with my dinner this evening.........simple, but decadent......

Smokey Bacon Fettucine w/Roasted Cauliflower, Caramelized Onion and Sundried Tomato.

Exactly what it sounds like.............

.Preheated oven to 400F, I placed a saute pan in the oven to warm.

Meanwhile I cut several florets of Fresh (not frozen) Cauliflower (you could use Broccoli or Romesco)
in half to create a flat surface.

Then, in a different saute pan, I cooked off 5 rashers of Bacon.

When somewhat crispy, I removed them and set them aside.

Then I drizzled some of the rendered bacon into the 'oven-pan', and added the cauliflower, tossing it in the fat, then setting it flat-side down, back in the oven for ~25 to 30 minutes until its got a nice caramel-shade happening, but is not burnt.
It gets a nutty, taste when you do this, and has a slight sweetness. (if using Brocolli this time will be about 1/2).

While that's in the oven, add a bit of Olive oil to the remaining bacon fat; and then add 1 whole cooking onion, thinly sliced, and halved.

Cook on low-medium heat until caramelized and sweet. (15-20M)

Then get your pasta water on to boil.

When ready, add back your veg; and garnish w/fresh Thyme (dried is fine)......about 2tsp either way.
Also add a few sundried tomatoes (julienned)....not a lot, 2 tbsps w/oil should suffice

Salt your pasta water and add pasta of your choice, I recommend Fettuccine.

When the pasta is getting close, add a large amount of freshly-cracked black pepper to your onion-cauliflower mixture. (don't do this too soon as it loses its vibrancy).

If you want a hint of extra smokey-ness, add a few drops (not more) of liquid smoke at this point; and also top up your olive oil (just a tsp or two}......its not really a sauce, but you need to be able to coat the pasta.

Stir well, add pasta when ready ( Al Dente please, meaning still just a hint of firmness), this is because you want it to finish cooking in the saute pan and absorb all those wonderful flavours w/o over cooking {about 2min)

When just about to serve, break up half of the bacon and toss in to the pasta.

Serve in a pasta bowl...............top with the remaining bacon.

Accompaniment: Spanish Red Wine -Rioja a smoky variation!

Last edited:
No one replied because we're too insecure about our scraps compared to your fine dining ;)

I make the same simple meals every time because I'm lazy and to reduce clean up.

But always healthy: chicken, steak, fish, lean beef; 2-3 servings of vegetables a day, though I've been slacking lately; plus the usual pasta, potatoes etc.

Does anyone know offhand where one can buy fresh flounder?

Last edited:
Does anyone know offhand where when can buy fresh flounder?

In the West End there's maybe Osler Fish Market on Osler just north of Dupont. You could also give them a call to double check first.

Or you can also look up Mike's Fish Market if you're ever out in Etobicoke or Snappers Fish Market on Bloor W near Runnymede.

Not a culinary wonder here, but there's something that feels good about baking on a cold morning.
I had some surplus bananas, so I made banana bread. It both turned out well, and nicely warmed up the apartment.
I used a mix of brown sugar, honey, and vanilla kefir to sweeten it.

IMG_20211123_094917.jpg

Tonight we're having a version of pork vindaloo I found in the New York Times Cooking website and that has been simmering in the slow cooker since this morning. I'm working today so I have no time for elaborate Indian side dishes, but I will serve it with roasted cauliflower and basmati rice, with a slightly off-dry Alsace Gewürztraminer.

No one replied because we're too insecure about our scraps compared to your fine dining ;)

I make the same simple meals every time because I'm lazy and to reduce clean up.

But always healthy: chicken, steak, fish, lean beef; 2-3 servings of vegetables a day, though I've been slacking lately; plus the usual pasta, potatoes etc.

LOL, Bacon and Cauliflower Pasta as elaborate fine dining!

Seriously, of course, I love what people above are sharing; and those who simply want to drop in to the thread for some inspiration.

Not a culinary wonder here, but there's something that feels good about baking on a cold morning.
I had some surplus bananas, so I made banana bread. It both turned out well, and nicely warmed up the apartment.
I used a mix of brown sugar, honey, and vanilla kefir to sweeten it.

View attachment 364975

Looks delicious!

I can bake, but that and more involved seafood are my weak spots.

I enjoy both, but not enough to be bothered most of the time, so I always have to pay more attention when tackling that.

I suppose my niece will want me to bake something again this year...... LOL

Lately, I have had an unlikely love affair with okra. I love the taste and texture of it. Tonight, I'll cut a pound of it lengthwise and let it cook in neutral oil, cut side down, leaving it alone for a few minutes until it gets brown and crisp, then sauté it a bit longer before setting it aside. Then I will soften some onion, chopped, for a few minutes, and add a couple of chopped cloves of garlic and a sliced jalapeño; a minute later, in will go about 300 g of shrimp and a couple of teaspoons of sazón, a Puerto Rican spice mix containing about equal parts of coriander, cumin, annatto, garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric and salt (sometimes oregano too; there are lots of recipes for that mix on the web). When the shrimp is done, a couple of minutes later, I'll throw the okra back in and mix briefly, before serving on rice with cilantro and squirts of lime. With that I think a sparkling Vouvray should be interesting.

Last edited:
Lately, I have had an unlikely love affair with okra. I love the taste and texture of it. Tonight, I'll cut a pound of it lengthwise and let it cook in neutral oil, cut side down, leaving it alone for a few minutes until it gets brown and crisp, than sauté it a bit longer before setting it aside. Then I will soften some onion, chopped, for a few minutes, and add a couple of chopped cloves of garlic and a sliced jalapeño; a minute later, in will go about 300 g of shrimp and a couple of teaspoons of sazón, a Puerto Rican spice mix containing about equal parts of coriander, cumin, annatto, garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric and salt (sometimes oregano too; there are lots of recipes for that mix on the web). When the shrimp is done, a couple of minutes later, I'll throw the okra back in and mix briefly, before serving on rice with cilantro and squirts of lime. With that I think a sparkling Vouvray should be interesting.

I've always been intimidated by Okra, which is odd as I generally like to dive in to cooking projects, and Okra wouldn't be a risky one to try since it's not particularly expensive. I think at this point I've realised the feeling that "it's difficult to cook with" is simply osmosis from other people in the same boat who don't really have any idea what to do with it, perhaps beyond gumbo. This is helpful to see that it really isn't that hard.

I learned a while ago that nothing comes anywhere close in flavour and crunch to homemade croutons for salad. I made some tonight with some bread that was going stale.
Olive oil, pepper and salt (be careful with the salt as it's easy to add too much and make them inedible) is all you actually need. I also add dried oregano, but you can use whatever herbs you like, fresh or dried.
They are so good I can eat them like potato chips. They cost one tenth of store bought croutons too and you can store them in the cupboard for several days in a plastic container, if they last that long.

IMG_20211217_201659.jpg

Last edited:
Over the course of the holidays, I will share a few recipes and wine pairings/reviews..........

Some are complex; some are very basic........but all will help you enjoy some wonderful meals and vino in the weeks ahead.

Tonight was casual, no company, but the first 'holiday indulgence' mainly because I went into my holiday splurge wine case!

First the food.......

A very basic, but hyper-intense, flavourful version of Spaghetti Bolognese.

Start by searing off about 1lb of ground beef; then add, 1 medium onion chopped finely, 4 cloves garlic, grated on rasp, go about 2-3 minutes until onion is transluscent, then add
1 tsp oregano, 1tsp basil, 1 tsp thyme, 1tsp savoury, 1 can tomato paste. Turn the heat down, and cook the tomato paste out for a good 3-4 minutes......

Don't let it burn, take it off the heat if its at risk.

Then add 1 cup Italian Red Wine, 1 tsp salt, and hot chili flakes to taste ( 1 like heat and am in the 1tbsp range....but most would like a bit less)

Cook it out for a minimum of 10min on medium low, 15 would be better........

Then remove from heat (its ok if it cools fully)

Meanwhile cook pasta of your choice.........I like Fusilli for this, but Spaghetti or whatever works for you is fine.

When the pasta is close to ready, drain it................(just a tiny bit of water left.

Add 1/2 the sauce to the pasta and toss over medium-low heat, for 2 minutes, then turn heat off.

Add freshly chopped parsley for colour and a fresh note.

Then plate up in bowls and put the remaining sauce on top.

Should make 3 generous servings.

Container any left over sauce and freeze, if not using within 3 days (otherwise fridge it)

Tonight's wine..........(for drinking).........a homer............Creekside Iconoclast Syrah.

The description above is unusually apt.

For a Canadian red its very fulsome; but you wouldn't mistake it for an Aussie Shiraz.

Somewhere between medium and full bodied (13.3%); it has a blackberry/white pepper sorta note.

Pleasant, but not overwhelming. Tannins are very smooth ( you shouldn't get cotton-mouth) .....

As a meal rated not for fancy plating, but for flavour and ease........its a 9/10

30 minutes and done.

The wine could be a bit richer, but if you think of it as a northern Rhone.......I'd give it a solid 8/10; particularly when considering the price point of $25 for the bottle.

Last edited:
I let this thread wither for a bit.

But I was thinking of it tonight as I enjoyed a really good meal.

The overall dish: Orange-Paprika-Thyme Pan-seared Pork chop, with Caramelized Orange and Fennel, and Paprika-Fennel-Sumac infused Couscous with rich red wine.

The how to:

Pre-heat your oven to 375F

Make the marinade for the pork chop. The juice and zest of 1 navel orange, 1 large clove garlic (grated on a rasp), 1 tsp dried thyme , 1 tsp paprika, 1/4 cup olive oil, pour into a ziplock or similar plastic bag.
Pork Chop is ideally well marbled, and has a small but tangible fat cap to it.
Take your knife and slit the fat cap at regular 1cm intervals so it will render when you're cooking it and allow the marinade to absorb.
Place chop in bag, zip'er up, and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes up to 4 hours. (in the fridge)

30M before you're done marinating, prepare the seasoning for the couscous, 1/2 tsp each of paprika, fennel, and sumac (tastes a bit like lemon and you could substitute the zest of 1 lemon instead).

Mix that w/ 1/4 cup fine bread crumbs.

Now prep your fennel and onion. Slice the onion in 1/2, peel it, and then slice into roughly 1/8 inch slices (slim, but not too slim)
Slice the fennel bulb in 1/2, core it, then slice into similar size to the onion, roughly 1/8 inch.

Mix, place in an oven-proof saute pan or on a rimmed baking sheet. Toss with some olive olive oil, the zest of one navel orange, some sea salt (table salt is fine), some freshly cracked pepper and just a bit of dried oregano.
Get the pan up to heat on a medium heat burner, and at the first sigh of slight browning (3-5 minutes), place in the pre-heated oven.

Give Fennel-Onion a minimum of 15 minutes total in the oven, but up to 30 minutes, tossing it once every 10 minutes or so. Watching for browning/caramelizing, do not allow it to burn.

When you're within 5 minutes of done, add the juice of one navel orange, toss, and put it back in the oven to finish. This orange juice will concentrate and mostly evaporate giving you a nice sweet glaze.

Turn the oven off.

Take your chop out of the marinade with a few minutes to go on the fennel-onion mixture.
Pat dry w/paper towel. Don't be obsessive, a bit of wet is good, then roll it into the breading you made earlier.

Place the seasoning for the couscous in a pan over medium heat with 1 tbsp Olive Oil.
Let the spices bloom (cook in the oil for about 30 seconds)...........then add the couscous, some salt, stir well, and an equal amount of liquid (ie. 1/3 cup couscous, 1/3 cup water/stock)
When it comes to a boil, immediately put the lid on and take it off the heat, it will be ready to eat in 5m, but stay warm enough for about 15M.

Get a fry pan going, with some olive oil and some butter, over medium heat.
When the fat is bubbling and/or too hot to hold your hand over for more than 5 seconds, place the pork chop in the pan, and sear for 2-3 minutes until lightly golden brown.
Then flip.
Then use tongs to sear the fat cap edge. (turn the chop on its side with fat cap down into the oil/butter)
Now add just a drizzle (1/4 cup) of orange juice to the pan.
Then give the chop another 40-80 seconds per side, to a nice golden finish.
The orange juice should reduce to a sweet, sticky glaze.
Pork temp. should be at least 145F (some people prefer more) a hint of pink is just fine if you're down w/that, but no more than a hint.

Time to plate, throw down the couscous first. You can just fluff it with a fork in the pot and put down as much as you'd like; but if you want to be fancy you can pile in a ramekin or a cookie cutter or anything you like and mold the shape.
Then add the fennel-orange mixture next to couscous.
To give it some pop, add a single orange segment between the two items and sprinkle some freshly chopped chives or parsley over the top.
Now add the pork chop and drizzle the remaining pan-jus over the top.

A bit of salt, and freshly cracked pepper to finish.

Bon Appetit!

* attitudes on safe temperature for Pork very. Many accept 145 which is roughly medium-well. Some are more cautious and prefer 165F Follow your own risk-tolerance!

Last edited:
I am not an insta person.

To be more clear, I don't have and never have an account there; and I loathe people taking pictures of their meals instead of eating them, LOL

That said, once in a while I think its ok.

The other day I made a caesar salad..............simple enough, though tasty w/scratch made-dressing, bacon, and roasted garlic croutons and fresh parm.

I was pleased w/the way I plated it.............and the camera just happened to be sitting on the dining table........

1655425137322.png

Last edited:

Back