News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 542     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

Hey, this is still a prototype unit (right?)... maybe there's still hope for the rest of the fleet.

But I must admit, my bias is showing. I loved the CLRVs in Boston while they had that centre headlight.

streetcar-4503-04.jpg

Hey, this is still a prototype unit (right?)... maybe there's still hope for the rest of the fleet.
One of the claims that Metrolinx made, is that the car that just arrived in Waterloo isn't a prototype; Waterloo's prototype is shared with Metrolinx - and it's in Kingston.

Lol. The video was posted to Facebook as Public, I assumed that a link to it from here would work in that case. For the curious here that use Facebook, you can find it in the "I Support Light Rail Transit in the Region of Waterloo" group.

(I should never have used Facebook Live, I should have just recorded it to the phone and uploaded to YouTube after the fact. <shakes head> )

Source: Iain Hendry

They'll have to inspect it first before powering it up (assuming it is completed). It might take a long time.

They'll have to inspect it first before powering it up (assuming it is completed). It might take a long time.

There were quotes in the media to the effect that these cars also are awaiting the full software package. Similar to the Metrolinx vs Bombardier caper, they are not capable of movement beyond just powering the car up or operating in a controlled manner within the shop. Ion has been a bit more mellow about this than ML but we don't know yet whether the cars will be ready when construction ends.

- Paul

Remember TTC's first prototype arrived in September 2012 but didn't start testing till March 2013. It gone through 17 months of testing till they entered service in August 2014.

Remember TTC's first prototype arrived in September 2012 but didn't start testing till March 2013. It gone through 17 months of testing till they entered service in August 2014.
The car arrived about 6 months or so late to start with and then spent over a year getting rebuilt. Before testing could starts, training crews had to be train, as well the people who would be maintaining them. There were supposed to be other issues that delay the start of testing. Even 4401 & 4402 were late being delivery as well.

And I think Grandlinq is wrong. They don't own the Waterloo Spur.

Professionals can be wrong.

The Region of Waterloo actually owns the spur so... Regional contractors like Grandlinq can set the speed limit and unit of operation for their own purposes. However the Freight speed limit is actually indicated on the paperwork that GEXR uses for their runs.

There were quotes in the media to the effect that these cars also are awaiting the full software package. Similar to the Metrolinx vs Bombardier caper, they are not capable of movement beyond just powering the car up or operating in a controlled manner within the shop. Ion has been a bit more mellow about this than ML but we don't know yet whether the cars will be ready when construction ends.

- Paul
The main reason behind this is that for them to move they have to operate in Train Control Override mode. They won't run them on the line without being integrated with the chosen train control and signalling systems. For example, ION uses in-cab signalling and automatic train control / automatic train stop on offroad sections that needs to be enabled/disabled as they enter/exit the higher speed sections the base train control system that comes preinstalled on all of the Flexity Freedoms off the shelf doesn't necessarly know how to handle the various proprietary systems out there, so modules need to be installed and connected with the onboard computer. Bombardier doesn't necessarily need to create an entire software suite, they need to create a couple drivers to translate the input from the modules to data that the onboard computer can understand and/or display.

Back