News   Jul 12, 2024
 870     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 778     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 326     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

This debate again? I doubt they'll hit 70 mph on the Waterloo spur (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153994523217153&set=g.81680629050)...

Those 12's and 30's are on the approach to particular curves, because stuff like this happens when you don't respect physics.

Its probably a track speed limit. Saying "this track is good for 70mph" as both the Flexities and freight will be using that spur at night.

The vehicles themselves are governed at 80 km/h.

Rail isn't like roads where you set a speed limit based upon safety and have cars that can do 4 times the speed limit.

Thats the rail classification speed posted.

The Flexities cant do 70MPH so they wont go 70MPH.

They have to peel off the postage stamps.

I'm actually a tad surprised that they are delivered without any covering on them, especially on the leading end. Autos get the white poly covering treatment. No bubble wrap, even ;-)

I was studying the picture and noted that the transporter car has a custom tie-down system that matches the jacking points on the Flexity. I wonder how they adjust for the two guages being delivered. Perhaps they don't.... with new wheels, the standard guage flexities probably have enough tread to fit on TTC guage track, so long as they don't have to steer or bend.

- Paul

I was studying the picture and noted that the transporter car has a custom tie-down system that matches the jacking points on the Flexity. I wonder how they adjust for the two guages being delivered. Perhaps they don't.... with new wheels, the standard guage flexities probably have enough tread to fit on TTC guage track, so long as they don't have to steer or bend.

- Paul

They don't adjust it. Just like with all of the track within the factory at Thunder Bay, the spacing is close enough to allow for standard gauge rolling stock to run on it - albeit gingerly.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

no need to apologize...the quality of that "video unavailable" messsage is quite high ;)

Lol. The video was posted to Facebook as Public, I assumed that a link to it from here would work in that case. For the curious here that use Facebook, you can find it in the "I Support Light Rail Transit in the Region of Waterloo" group.

(I should never have used Facebook Live, I should have just recorded it to the phone and uploaded to YouTube after the fact. <shakes head> )

Wow, putting aside my resentment toward Bombordier's North American streetcar/tram operations, the Flexity Freedom truly is a beautiful vehicle. It really is reminiscent of a Berlin tram adapted to NA. Can't wait to see this vehicle in testing.

I just wish Waterloo had gotten the centre headlight above the windshield, like Edmonton. Would've added visibility on the off-street sections (and made the tram look better, IMO ;)).

cq5dam.web.750.750.jpeg

Wow, putting aside my resentment toward Bombordier's North American streetcar/tram operations, the Flexity Freedom truly is a beautiful vehicle. It really is reminiscent of a Berlin tram adapted to NA. Can't wait to see this vehicle in testing.

I just wish Waterloo had gotten the centre headlight above the windshield, like Edmonton. Would've added visibility on the off-street sections (and made the tram look better, IMO ;)).

cq5dam.web.750.750.jpeg

Never noticed the extra light on the Edmonton model... good catch!

Back