News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 923     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

From this link:

He meant after conversion to AKI, the lowest euro gas is equivalent to our 91. That's why you see the same car model sold for Europe usually have higher compression ratio and etc.
Just an extra note, Canadian gas is usually worse compare to US gas even with the same rating.

But really? Who parks on train tracks? F**ck, sometimes people can be stupid.

People who are used to on-street parking but not to on-street trains, and in a bunch of these spots, people who are used to on-street parking in those exact spots. Also many of them probably have heard that there aren't any trains yet anyway so figure it doesn't matter.

This sounds fine. Ok.

But really? Who parks on train tracks? F**ck, sometimes people can be stupid.

Then why the hell is there no physical barrier to keep cars off the tracks?

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 2.36.03 PM.png

This doesn't happen on St Clair. I wonder why...

iss156_feat_stclair02.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 2.36.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 2.36.03 PM.png
    721.9 KB · Views: 446
  • iss156_feat_stclair02.jpg
    iss156_feat_stclair02.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 484

That's no excuse. If the signage+laws say that cars aren't allowed on the tracks, then that's the end of the conversation. By that logic, should cars be allowed to park in bike lanes as long as they're not separated?

What about King, Queen, and a few other places where there is no median?

I'm not familiar with the other places, but I'm talking about what I see in that particular photo. If cars are not supposed to be on the tracks, then why is it so easy for them to encroach? Why not either put a curb or elevate the tracks.

That's no excuse. If the signage+laws say that cars aren't allowed on the tracks, then that's the end of the conversation. By that logic, should cars be allowed to park in bike lanes as long as they're not separated?

I'm not making excuses for anybody. No matter what signs you put up, there are always enough idiots who will choose to ignore them. All it takes is one of them to screw up the LRT and delay hundreds of people. Sorry, but putting up a sign is not the "end of the conversation".

I'm not making excuses for anybody. No matter what signs you put up, there are always enough idiots who will choose to ignore them. All it takes is one of them to screw up the LRT and delay hundreds of people. Sorry, but putting up a sign is not the "end of the conversation".

I think theyll have to hire hundreds of cops to patrol these sections on opening day just to catch any ignorant drivers just like they did for day 1 of the viva rapidways

I think theyll have to hire hundreds of cops to patrol these sections on opening day just to catch any ignorant drivers just like they did for day 1 of the viva rapidways
Ignorant drivers still drive on the bus lanes "accidentally" when turning left and intentionally when wanting to make a left turn when there is a lot of traffic ahead of them.

View attachment 95453

A sign for 10 kilometres/hour? Autos never go that slow. I'm slightly worried that the low speed limits will unnecessarily slow down this rapid transit service, just like the extremely slow TTC streetcars at intersections on the Queensway.

A sign for 10 kilometres/hour? Autos never go that slow. I'm slightly worried that the low speed limits will unnecessarily slow down this rapid transit service, just like the extremely slow TTC streetcars at intersections on the Queensway.

The project team has been extremely timid on many aspects of ION, unfortunately.

The project team has been extremely timid on many aspects of ION, unfortunately.
The laundry list includes:
  • Suspiciously high end-to-end travel time estimates
  • Suspiciously low speed limits for on-street travel sections
  • Signal priority only for schedule adherence (no signal pre-emption for faster travel)
  • Evening service only every 30 minutes
  • Overly aggressive corridor fencing
  • Station placement meant to please stakeholders (not to integrate with local transit)
  • Split routings in downtowns to "minimize impact" to on-street parking
  • Little-to-no consideration for cycling around stations and along the corridor (R&T Park station will require cyclists to bike down the length of the platform to get from one side of the corridor to the other)
And that's just what comes to mind at the moment!

The laundry list includes:
  • Suspiciously high end-to-end travel time estimates
  • Suspiciously low speed limits for on-street travel sections
  • Signal priority only for schedule adherence (no signal pre-emption for faster travel)
  • Evening service only every 30 minutes
  • Overly aggressive corridor fencing
  • Station placement meant to please stakeholders (not to integrate with local transit)
  • Split routings in downtowns to "minimize impact" to on-street parking
  • Little-to-no consideration for cycling around stations and along the corridor (R&T Park station will require cyclists to bike down the length of the platform to get from one side of the corridor to the other)
And that's just what comes to mind at the moment!

Evening service every 30 minutes?!? That's incredibly disappointing. On-street sections shouldn't be any slower than 20 km/h - and only then at intersection curves and driveway entrances.

Back