News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

Not surprised at all. He probably does not realize even the BRT will actually raise the case of all day service to Cambridge because of higher demand.

Maybe he looks to Brampton and sees a city with 3 (soon to be 4) similar BRT lines that all connect to GO stations and a continually pushed out date for that "all day service" and figures..."well that does not seem to work" ;)

I don't think there's much else needed to bolster the political case for GO service to Cambridge - if you ask Cambridge, it is the most important thing they could get. Cambridge, with the support of the Region of Waterloo, is working on a case for that extension. But what's missing is funding, interest from Metrolinx, and co-operation from CP - all of which comes up occasionally in one of the GO threads here.

Very true. At least planning for the connection wouldn't make it any less likely though. Metrolinx is big on the "hub" thing too. If there's a local rapid transit line connecting to a potential future GO station, it certainly increases "stock".

Does the West End in Ottawa's case mean the former city, or Nepean/Kanata or places like that?

"West end" is usually defined as anything west of Woodroffe, and north of Hunt Club. It includes a little bit of the former City of Ottawa, most of urbanized Nepean (with the exception of Barrhaven), and Kanata/Stittsville.

Even with the Western LRT extension, the LRT will barely reach what most people classify as the "west end". Then again, the LRT is only going as far east as Blair in Phase 1, which is barely considered east end. An extension into Orleans (the actual east end) is scheduled by 2023.

I don't think there's much else needed to bolster the political case for GO service to Cambridge - if you ask Cambridge, it is the most important thing they could get. Cambridge, with the support of the Region of Waterloo, is working on a case for that extension. But what's missing is funding, interest from Metrolinx, and co-operation from CP - all of which comes up occasionally in one of the GO threads here.

It wouldn't, but it would strengthen the political case for GO service to Cambridge. "Look, we already have a rapid transit connection to the station, now all we need are the trains!"

Maybe he looks to Brampton and sees a city with 3 (soon to be 4) similar BRT lines that all connect to GO stations and a continually pushed out date for that "all day service" and figures..."well that does not seem to work" ;)

It might not work, after all this is CPs line. But at least one express train. Me? Metrolinx is supposed to serve the GTHA and right now we should be getting service to the Georgetown, Markham, Newmarket, Milton lines before going outside the GTA. We also forget the farther the lines go the harder and longer the engineers work.

Very true. At least planning for the connection wouldn't make it any less likely though. Metrolinx is big on the "hub" thing too. If there's a local rapid transit line connecting to a potential future GO station, it certainly increases "stock".

I think the concept of an intermodal hub in Cambridge came up as part of the (big breath) Central Transit Corridor Community Building Strategy.

It wouldn't, but it would strengthen the political case for GO service to Cambridge. "Look, we already have a rapid transit connection to the station, now all we need are the trains!"

The Delta intersection. for those unfamiliar with it. It's called such because it is shaped like a delta and is a lot easier than saying the "Coronation-Dundas-Hespeler-Water Intersection". Behind the Dollarama and King's buffet on the northeast corner of the intersection is a now grade-separated rail line which connects directly to CP's Mainline. It's a far better place for an intermodal hub than Water/Samuelson which is bound to the west by Hogwarts (Galt Collegiate Institute) and the Grand River.

Last edited:
But what's missing is funding, interest from Metrolinx, and co-operation from CP - all of which comes up occasionally in one of the GO threads here.

Well it's not like CP doesn't have a good reason 'not to cooperate', they're trying to protect their private business interest. It is their corridor, and GO/Mx is just renting time from them. I have an in-law that drives the Milton run for CP, he always spouts off about how the GO trains screw up their morning runs frequently.

The key barrier is funding, like you said, but to be specific, it is dealing with this congestion 'down the pipe' with more tracks and a flyunder or flyover near West Toronto. The necessary funding between Milton and Cambridge is probably a relative pinch, but if you include costing of what is required down the line in Toronto, you start approaching 10 figures.

The Delta intersection. for those unfamiliar with it. It's called such because it is shaped like a delta and is a lot easier than saying the "Coronation-Dundas-Hespeler-Water Intersection". Behind the Dollarama and King's buffet on the northeast corner of the intersection is a now grade-separated rail line which connects directly to CP's Mainline. It's a far better place for an intermodal hub than Water/Samuelson which is bound to the west by Hogwarts (Galt Collegiate Institute) and the Grand River.

When the line is extended, I think the medium-term natural end point is not in Cambridge but near Ayr (Old Hwy 97/Cedar Creek Rd & 401). Currently a lot of people west of Kitchener drive to Milton to pick up the GO Train. By placing a stop right off the 401 (and away from communities that may not like the traffic such as Milton and Cambellville) it should encourage a lot of drivers off of the 401.

If the Delta is used, it would not allow a future extension of the line beyold Cambridge (similar to the issues with 2 stations in Hamilton)

The Delta would also be further away from the central district (Main and Water). Doubles the distance from 1km to 2km. This difference would force most people to take the bus vs. walk to the station.

The Delta is surrounded by residential neighbourhoods which would not allow for the intensification that would be created in the central district.

When the line is extended, I think the medium-term natural end point is not in Cambridge but near Ayr (Old Hwy 97/Cedar Creek Rd & 401). Currently a lot of people west of Kitchener drive to Milton to pick up the GO Train. By placing a stop right off the 401 (and away from communities that may not like the traffic such as Milton and Cambellville) it should encourage a lot of drivers off of the 401.

If the Delta is used, it would not allow a future extension of the line beyold Cambridge (similar to the issues with 2 stations in Hamilton)

The Delta would also be further away from the central district (Main and Water). Doubles the distance from 1km to 2km. This difference would force most people to take the bus vs. walk to the station.

The Delta is surrounded by residential neighbourhoods which would not allow for the intensification that would be created in the central district.

This is starting to get really off-topic, but it still related to the Waterloo Region transit plans, so I'll entertain it a bit longer.

I really think taking rail service much past Galt is rather far-fetched. Once you get past KWC, you're getting really out of the Toronto commutershed; a stop at Highway 97/401 is in an awkward spot for serving park-and-riders from any major community to the west extreme fringe of Toronto-bound commuters. If GO train service is extended to Cambridge, the best place for the big park-and-ride would be at Puslinch Station (Highway 6 South) so it could serve Guelph, Kitchener and Cambridge with easy access of the 401. There simply isn't the room at Campbellville even for a 12-car train platform and a park-and-ride, never mind a big lot. There isn't a tonne of redevelopment possiblities at Galt ("The Delta") but it is the only transit-friendly spot for a station.

This is starting to get really off-topic, but it still related to the Waterloo Region transit plans, so I'll entertain it a bit longer.

I really think taking rail service much past Galt is rather far-fetched. Once you get past KWC, you're getting really out of the Toronto commutershed; a stop at Highway 97/401 is in an awkward spot for serving park-and-riders from any major community to the west extreme fringe of Toronto-bound commuters. If GO train service is extended to Cambridge, the best place for the big park-and-ride would be at Puslinch Station (Highway 6 South) so it could serve Guelph, Kitchener and Cambridge with easy access of the 401. There simply isn't the room at Campbellville even for a 12-car train platform and a park-and-ride, never mind a big lot. There isn't a tonne of redevelopment possiblities at Galt ("The Delta") but it is the only transit-friendly spot for a station.

Good points. I wonder if a new Puslinch Station could be considered in the design of the Morriston by-pass. It would certainly make it easier for a lot of 401 travelers if the trip was 401 -> short jog on 4-laned Highway 6 -> GO station. Would be pretty similar to Aldershot on the other end of 6, come to think of it.

It wouldn't serve Cambridge proper, but it may be useful as an interim terminus, one station passed Milton.

While we're entertaining things, even with a station at The Delta, Cambridge would likely still need another Park and Ride station out by Shellard Side Road. Puslinch definitely makes a good location for a GO station, even with current conditions. Perhaps it would give rise to a Highway 6 GO service.

Also, apart from the bus drivers who park there, does anyone actually use the Aberfoyle stop?

While we're entertaining things, even with a station at The Delta, Cambridge would likely still need another Park and Ride station out by Shellard Side Road. Puslinch definitely makes a good location for a GO station, even with current conditions. Perhaps it would give rise to a Highway 6 GO service.

Also, apart from the bus drivers who park there, does anyone actually use the Aberfoyle stop?
I like the idea of a station around Shellard Side Road or anywhere to the immediate west of Cambridge as a site for a park and ride station. I'm not too sure about a station at Highway 6, despite it being mentioned over and over again. Park and rides are often situated near a cluster of residential development. There is nothing near highway 6/railway tracks for there to warrant a park and ride station there, and I'm afraid that situating a station there will only encourage development there (not sure if it's in the greenbelt or not). My point is that I believe a park and ride station would be better suited closer to Cambridge, as a station at highway 6 doesn't serve any significant population cluster.

Waaay off topic btw.

Here's a little something I whipped together. Enjoy!

Link to the blog post
infographic-web.jpg

Back