News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

Last night a pro LRT candidate was elected in Kitchener so the project will continue unimpeaded. Good news!

Last night a pro LRT candidate was elected in Kitchener so the project will continue unimpeaded. Good news!

Nice. So everything is good with Regional council, Waterloo and Kitchener for the LRT to proceed? It should already be under construction right?

Nice. So everything is good with Regional council, Waterloo and Kitchener for the LRT to proceed? It should already be under construction right?

There are no elected officials on regional council who vowed to cancel the LRT. Doug Craig in Cambridge has always been opposed, but he's not out to stop it now that construction has started.

Road work has started in a few places as with work on the maintenance facility. Updates can be found at rideion.ca

Yeah, we're still just doing utility relocations along the corridor, but things are already further ahead than they were for Ottawa in 2006.

Think, this thing will be done in less than 3 years now!

Yeah, we're still just doing utility relocations along the corridor, but things are already further ahead than they were for Ottawa in 2006.

Think, this thing will be done in less than 3 years now!

Yup, the 2018 elections in KWC and Ottawa will be very interesting, because the talk in both places will be about extensions and expansions. You can bet that Cambridge will be hankering for an LRT extension.

Yup, the 2018 elections in KWC and Ottawa will be very interesting, because the talk in both places will be about extensions and expansions. You can bet that Cambridge will be hankering for an LRT extension.

I'm happy for both KW & Ottawa :). I'm excited to see some new transit lines get built.

I am really happy to hear that construction has commenced and that it will be going ahead! Ten years ago as a UW student (damn, time flies!) I was doing audits for the Region looking at the pedestrian infrastructure around the proposed stops for GRT's new iExpress bus service that was going to be launched in the near future. LRT was always intended, and I applaud those that have pushed and fought to make it a reality.

The days where I can board a train in Toronto (during any day of the week), get off at Kitchener, take Light Rail to friends, or to St. Jacobs Farmers Market are that much closer.

Exciting times not just for Kitchener-Waterloo, but a large chunk of Southwestern Ontario.

For this project, Waterloo Region ordered 14 Bombardier Flexity Freedom trains for delivery in 2016. Any ideas of whether Bombardier is capable of delivering on that?

For this project, Waterloo Region ordered 14 Bombardier Flexity Freedom trains for delivery in 2016. Any ideas of whether Bombardier is capable of delivering on that?
Back in 2013 the Globe reported that production was to begin this year, with delivery not beginning until summer 2016. With the Ion line not opening until late 2017, then Bombardier should be able to deliver one a month. Which does seem about the rate they can achieve with the TTC Flexity vehicles.

By 2017, Bombardier should be up to 3-4 a month of the Toronto vehicles. So 1 Waterloo vehicle a month seems reasonable. Though following that, they'll have to ramp up production as they have the 182 Metrolinx vehicles to deliver by 2020-2021, if the schedule doesn't slip (though it remains unclear what happens to the 48 vehicles for the SRT replacement).

Just give the extra vehicles to the Hurontario LRT. Then Mississauga and Brampton just have to worry about building the tracks.

They haven't even started building them yet so it's not like they need to find a home for them or "use" them - only the planned time slot in the assembly hall on some project manager's Gantt chart is really what we're talking about allocating, here.

There is now a tower crane on site at the Operations Maintenance and Storage Facility at Dutton. The crews are working on the weekends. First tracks go in the ground in the spring - can't wait!

The days where I can board a train in Toronto (during any day of the week), get off at Kitchener, take Light Rail to friends, or to St. Jacobs Farmers Market are that much closer.

Exciting times not just for Kitchener-Waterloo, but a large chunk of Southwestern Ontario.

Oddly enough this LRT proposal doesn't go to St Jacobs Market - one of the main tourist draws of Kitchener-Waterloo - despite utilizing the very rail corridor that runs through the Market for much of the route south of it.

Back