News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 859     0 

Waterfront Transit Reset Phase 1 Study

How should Toronto connect the East and West arms of the planned waterfront transit with downtown?

• Expand the existing Union loop

Votes: 199 73.2%
  • Build a Western terminus

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Route service along Queen's Quay with pedestrian/cycle/bus connection to Union

Votes: 28 10.3%
  • Connect using existing Queen's Quay/Union Loop and via King Street

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.9%

• Total voters
They should just run the streetcar straight along QQ and build a lengthy moving walkway to get there from Union. It's worked very well for them in the past :)
That has been proposed as far back as 2008 along with other options and rule out due to lack of space from a legal point. You need both a walkway, moving walkway and you can't put both in the same tunnel. Even ppl movers were looked at as well.

We wanted grass on the St. Clair right-of-way, but the excuse was that emergency vehicles needed somewhere to bypass the single-occupant vehicles.

If we have dual-direction cycling lanes, the emergency vehicles would use that.

Have you every seen any emergency vehicles use not only St Clair ROW but also the other ones???

I have only seen one police car on Spadina as well an EMS car since 2014.

St Clair ROW can't handle TTC buses due to space and fire trucks need more room.

That has been proposed as far back as 2008 along with other options and rule out due to lack of space from a legal point. You need both a walkway, moving walkway and you can't put both in the same tunnel. Even ppl movers were looked at as well.

It was a joke!

I've always dreamed of a subway tunnel filled with parallel moving walkways, each one moving just a little faster than the one to its right. You get on the slow one on the right, make your way to the super fast one and zip to your destination. Takes a little preparation to get back to the slow one and disembark, of course... No vehicles, no load times. Would be super efficient.

You keep saying this, and it still is not true.

Live on the line, and you'll see what does use the ROW.

Dan
I have yet to see anything other streetcars used the ROW with the odd car trying to do it, but mostly for U-turns. Seen a few trucks do the U-turns. You should get shots of things using the ROW that not supposed to be or are allowed to.

Used to be up there a number of times per months, but not in the last 6 months due to various issues on my end.

Seen the fire department only using the roads as they leave the station with heavy traffic on the road and no streetcar in sight.

Last edited:
Yes, that's exactly what they do. They blow compressed air through the pipes in the fall.
Which is great until you find you have a low point in the pipe, and it freezes and bursts.

Not to say that's the case, but having a good deep freeze to test things out would be nice before the warranty period ends.

Which is great until you find you have a low point in the pipe, and it freezes and bursts.

Not to say that's the case, but having a good deep freeze to test things out would be nice before the warranty period ends.
We live in Toronto where pipes and winter both have existed for centuries. I'm sure they will know to maintain it in winter. 😑

Reactions: DSC
True, though we don't get that many deep freezes these days. I don't think it's been below -5 yet this year and it's almost February. We only get really extreme cold every 10 years or so.

I have yet to see anything other streetcars used the ROW with the odd car trying to do it, but mostly for U-turns. Seen a few trucks do the U-turns. You should get shots of things using the ROW that not supposed to be or are allowed to.

Used to be up there a number of times per months, but not in the last 6 months due to various issues on my end.

Seen the fire department only using the roads as they leave the station with heavy traffic on the road and no streetcar in sight.
Cool.

I lived at Bathurst and St. Clair for 5 years. I saw buses, fire trucks, ambulances and police calls all used it when they needed to.

Dan

Cool.

I lived at Bathurst and St. Clair for 5 years. I saw buses, fire trucks, ambulances and police calls all used it when they needed to.

Dan
Sure you are seeing them as that area was designed for them from day one and the only area on the full ROW to do it.

Have you see this happen over by the fire station as I haven't seen it, let alone other parts of the corridor??

We live in Toronto where pipes and winter both have existed for centuries. I'm sure they will know to maintain it in winter. 😑
Maintenance isn't the issue.

It's the original construction. You wouldn't dream of installing a water main without doing a pressure test to make sure that there weren't too many leaks.

My concern is that if there isn't a good freeze in the warranty period, you don't really know.

I've seen new watermain freeze in the winter because it turned out it wasn't deep enough. Turned out someone missed a grade change. Stuff happens.

True, though we don't get that many deep freezes these days. I don't think it's been below -5 yet this year and it's almost February. We only get really extreme cold every 10 years or so.
We seemed to get enough deep freezes during the very last years of the CLRVs at the end of the decade, with their failing air lines!

But yeah, it's a very warm winter. When I was shovelling a path across the grass yesterday, and a bit of the driveway where the grass has been encroaching - I was surprised to see the grass was bright green! I've seen that in December, and even in early January. But never near the end of January!

Whatever happened to the Exhibition Loop/Dufferin loop connector? It's one of those projects like the Dundas West tunnel to Bloor GO...lots of talk, nothing gets built.

I assume the Ontario Line killed it?

Sure you are seeing them as that area was designed for them from day one and the only area on the full ROW to do it.

Have you see this happen over by the fire station as I haven't seen it, let alone other parts of the corridor??
Oddly enough, I had the ample opportunity to travel along the line when I lived there.

And yeah, they would use whatever part of the ROW they had to. If traffic was light, they would take the roadway lanes. If it wasn't, it was onto the ROW.

Dan

Back