News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 617     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

VIA Rail

The big unanswered question in resolving the problems discussed in the last few posts is this: Will Montreal- and Ottawa-bound trains be completely separate services, partly separate, or combined, and if separate, will Montreal trains go right through Smith's Falls and use the Winchester subdivision? VIA appears not to have answered this in the RFP, just written in the time requirements and left the proponents to come up with proposals to meet them. Whether a second platform is needed or more double tracking is required depends to a large extent on this.

The big unanswered question in resolving the problems discussed in the last few posts is this: Will Montreal- and Ottawa-bound trains be completely separate services, partly separate, or combined, and if separate, will Montreal trains go right through Smith's Falls and use the Winchester subdivision? VIA appears not to have answered this in the RFP, just written in the time requirements and left the proponents to come up with proposals to meet them. Whether a second platform is needed or more double tracking is required depends to a large extent on this.
Nothing has been decided, but building an Ottawa bypass would present very poor value-for-money compared to investing its price tag in improved travel times for MTRL-OTTW and OTTW-TRTO instead. (Recall that the alignment via the Winchester/Alexandria/Beachburg/Smiths Falls/Belleville/Havelock Subdivisions is still just 580 km long and thus a tiny 15% deviation from the 504 km long straight line between MTRL and TRTO…)

Last edited:
Considering the high variability in actual (vs. planned) travel times and that the number of TKM and TKO is pretty much capped at their current number for any foreseeable future (due to bottlenecks in Coteau and Smiths Falls), what exactly is the pressing issue which jaying westbound corridor trains would fix?
Mainly operating costs, implementing part of the Kingston Hub concept including having enough trains crewed from there to operate a head end crew base. Also, increasing the service level to the intermediate cities and reducing the total number of paths required from both CN and Metrolinx to provide the service.

The combined QMO and TKM paths from Coteau into Montreal are clearly a constraint (hopefully to be eased somewhat by MMM) but I'm having a hard time seeing what currently makes Coteau junction dysfunctional, unless it is the absence of a siding on the Alexandria Sub for QMO trains to clear the Kingston Sub? With HFR "2.0" apparently now intending to use the Winchester Sub any additional investment at Coteau might be harder to justify. [The current VIA-HFR field studies go as far as De Beaujeu although I expect the co-development partner would want to cut across sooner to avoid curves.]

It isn't VIA being opaque about the Winchester Sub cutoff. It was Transport Canada that unveiled that back-of-a-napkin line on the map, and has never really explained it.

I don't have any inside information, but would guess that most trains between Toronto and Montreal will travel through Ottawa, but there may be a few "express" trains that bypass Ottawa during peak periods, when demand is sufficient to support a dedicated Toronto-Montreal train. At other times, those traveling between Toronto and Montreal will fill the empty seats on the Toronto-Ottawa train (worded that way as more people take the train between Toronto and Ottawa than Toronto and Montreal).

I never understood why some people want trains to bypass Ottawa. Ottawa is either the 2nd or 3rd busiest station on the system, maybe even busier than Montreal Central (Wikipedia is inconsistent on that). Any train not stopping there is giving up a huge number of passengers for no reason. Ottawa is a cornerstone of the network and vital to the HFR business case. I think when HFR is finally built and every train stops in Ottawa all this talk of a bypass will be quickly forgotten.

I never understood why some people want trains to bypass Ottawa. Ottawa is either the 2nd or 3rd busiest station on the system, maybe even busier than Montreal Central (Wikipedia is inconsistent on that). Any train not stopping there is giving up a huge number of passengers for no reason. Ottawa is a cornerstone of the network and vital to the HFR business case. I think when HFR is finally built and every train stops in Ottawa all this talk of a bypass will be quickly forgotten.
Or when HFR becomes so successful, that the increase in traffic justifies a bypass as a way to increase passenger traffic even more. In other words, the Montreal express trains become a further add-on to frequency. I don't see this happening any time soon. The initial focus is make HFR as successful as possible, by having a trains at least every hour.

According to VIA's Total passengers at stations (boarding and deboarding) in 2018, Ottawa ranked a close third behind Montreal, though Montreal serves more destinations (in addition to Ottawa and Montreal, it has Quebec City, Northern Quebec and the Ocean). Interestingly Fallowfield beats out both Oshawa and Dorval.

Top 10 sorted by Total Passengers:
RankStationTotal passengers
1TORONTO2,839,320
2MONTREAL1,538,556
3OTTAWA1,195,495
4LONDON508,955
5KINGSTON456,586
6QUEBEC324,037
7WINDSOR268,543
8FALLOWFIELD233,893
9OSHAWA207,037
10DORVAL200,158

According to VIA's Total passengers at stations (boarding and deboarding) in 2018, Ottawa ranked a close third behind Montreal, though Montreal serves more destinations (in addition to Ottawa and Montreal, it has Quebec City, Northern Quebec and the Ocean). Interestingly Fallowfield beats out both Oshawa and Dorval.

Interesting! I'm surprised that Guildwood is down at 32nd, with about 22,000 passengers. Though a lot of people do get on/off at Guildwood after booking through to Union. Mind you Dorval is quite high. Perhaps Guildwood is the one you make a last minute decision at, depending on where the next GO train is. Still odd though.

Meanwhile Cobourg is at 13th, with over 136,000 passengers! I wonder how many of those are students Lakefield College - who seem to get off there in surprising numbers sometimes when I've travelled.

St-Foy is ranked 11. Here's the next 31 (those over 10,000). That covers most of the interesting ones.

11STE-FOY
182,113​
12BELLEVILLE
146,395​
13COBOURG
136,541​
14BRANTFORD
90,150​
15KITCHENER
80,980​
16CHATHAM
70,472​
17OAKVILLE
69,881​
18BROCKVILLE
61,305​
19ALDERSHOT
57,212​
20CORNWALL
55,890​
21GUELPH
47,951​
22WOODSTOCK
47,242​
23NIAGARA FALLS
46,937​
24DRUMMONDVILLE
45,235​
25VANCOUVER
42,838​
26STRATFORD
40,196​
27JASPER
39,449​
28ST-LAMBERT
34,455​
29SMITHS FALLS
29,870​
30HALIFAX
29,865​
31PORT HOPE
26,124​
32GUILDWOOD
22,209​
33SARNIA
19,490​
34MONCTON
18,823​
35ALEXANDRIA
18,608​
36ST-HYACINTHE
16,604​
37WINNIPEG
15,089​
38BRAMPTON
15,008​
39EDMONTON
14,858​
40BATHURST
10,737​
41TRENTON JCT
10,401​

Last edited:
The combined QMO and TKM paths from Coteau into Montreal are clearly a constraint (hopefully to be eased somewhat by MMM) but I'm having a hard time seeing what currently makes Coteau junction dysfunctional, unless it is the absence of a siding on the Alexandria Sub for QMO trains to clear the Kingston Sub? With HFR "2.0" apparently now intending to use the Winchester Sub any additional investment at Coteau might be harder to justify. [The current VIA-HFR field studies go as far as De Beaujeu although I expect the co-development partner would want to cut across sooner to avoid curves.]

The issue at Coteau as I understand it is CN's use of the Kingston Sub mainline to park freights that are performing block swapping there. When VIA proposed its upgrades back in 2008ish, CN wanted to extend the yard trackage - and looked to VIA to pay part of the cost. I have no idea whether any of that work got completed on CN's tab, or whether traffic even requires it these days.

- Paul

Last edited:
Or when HFR becomes so successful, that the increase in traffic justifies a bypass as a way to increase passenger traffic even more. In other words, the Montreal express trains become a further add-on to frequency. I don't see this happening any time soon. The initial focus is make HFR as successful as possible, by having a trains at least every hour.
Even if HFR is highly successful I still can't see it. As the numbers roger1818 posted show, Ottawa has almost as many passengers as Montreal. If the Alstom proposal is anything to go by, we can get the trip to Montreal down to 3 hours or less while still stopping in Ottawa. Future capital would be better off increasing speeds in other areas than bypassing the third busiest station on the system.

I think this idea comes from the public perception of Ottawa being small and out of the way. The way that existing highways and railways are set up contributes to that. But the Havelock sub route shows that Ottawa isn't nearly as out of the way as people tend to think.

Top 10 sorted by Total Passengers:
1TORONTO2,839,320
2MONTREAL1,538,556
3OTTAWA1,195,495
4LONDON508,955
5KINGSTON456,586
6QUEBEC324,037
7WINDSOR268,543
8FALLOWFIELD233,893
9OSHAWA207,037
10DORVAL200,158
Interesting numbers, thanks!

If the Alstom proposal is anything to go by, we can get the trip to Montreal down to 3 hours or less while still stopping in Ottawa.
Not on an HFR budget.

The last time I saw official VIA data on station usage, it came with data on all the pairs as well. Hopefully the next FOIA request will ask for the pairs.

I'd suspect there'd be a lot of those Ottawa trips that are to Montreal. And I'd think the modal split for rail would be higher for Montreal-Ottawa than Toronto-Montreal. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more Montreal-Ottawa trips than Toronto-Montreal trips.

I think this idea comes from the public perception of Ottawa being small and out of the way. The way that existing highways and railways are set up contributes to that. But the Havelock sub route shows that Ottawa isn't nearly as out of the way as people tend to think.
Euclidean distances have some obvious limitations (especially when they pass through Lake Ontario), but I’ve drawn and measured them below between the respective station locations of MTRL, OTTW, KGON, Peterborough and TRTO:
IMG_2992.jpeg

Viewed from Montreal to Toronto, going via Kingston adds 6 km (or 1.2%) and going via Ottawa adds 14 km (2.8%). Viewed from Ottawa to Toronto, however, going via Kingston adds 30 km (8.5%), but going via Peterborough only adds a single km (0.3%)…

Last edited:

Back