News   May 03, 2024
 247     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 362     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 799     0 

VIA Rail

45AC001D-55D3-4E4F-8774-CE6CC6AF2EBC.png
With Via getting brand new train sets, I am wondering why their business class seats are still stuck in the past. The seats are almost exactly the same as economy except for the extra space between seats. And the extra spaces aren’t making the seats more comfortable nor adding function. Look at the space between the doubles seats. If you put a cup of coffee there, it’s gonna be easily knocked over when you move you legs.

Why not revamping them completely by borrowing a page from the herringbone seats on plane’s business class?

View attachment 363820With Via getting brand new train sets, I am wondering why their business class seats are still stuck in the past. The seats are almost exactly the same as economy except for the extra space between seats. And the extra spaces aren’t making the seats more comfortable nor adding function. Look at the space between the doubles seats. If you put a cup of coffee there, it’s gonna be easily knocked over when you move you legs.

Why not revamping them completely by borrowing a page from the herringbone seats on plane’s business class?
I agree that the Business Class design could look more vibrant and inspiring than on that photo, but would you mind sharing some pictures to visualize what you have in mind?

OK, true, but you're ignoring the fact that HFR will increase T-M speeds and frequencies. Not exactly a demand reducer, really.
It will increase speeds? I must have missed something there - aren't they still constrained to 160 km/hr because of the level crossing issue? Or are there points through the Canadian Shield where there are so few crossings, that it's viable to go faster, and/or do some grade separations.

Yes, it will increase Montreal-Toronto demand - if delivered as promised. I'm deeply suspicious though that they'll be able to maintain fast frequent services from places like Kingston to the other 3 cities - and wonder if the increased demand would exceed the losses there. And I'm deeply suspicious that they can even get to Agincourt in any decent time. If they really planning to go up the Don Valley to the CP line - then why are Metrolinx building a (very controversial) storage yard on the very track VIA would be running on?

In other words, it's not happening.

Except Mirabel was a bad idea, which split services like you're proposing to do.
I've proposed that there be a single route from Toronto, to Kingston, along the alignment VIA proposed to Smith Falls, then into Ottawa and onto Montreal - with no bypass - for about 3.5 hours as VIA proposed. Or 3.6 hours if Urban Sky's Ecotrain numbers are more correct.

HFR greatly splits services, with plans for Kingston-Ottawa, Kingston-Montreal, and Kingston-Toronto services in addition to the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal HFR service. And now apparently with a potential bypass of Ottawa.

Cool. So you can stop acting like HFR doesn't improve Toronto-Montreal at all?
Sure, if people can stop pretending that there won't be a loss of the potential for express services between Toronto to Montreal.

The project isn't predicated on improving just Toronto-Montreal ridership or providing equal improvements on every segment. It's predicated on achieving a total improvement on ridership.
It's also predicated on a certain ridership, and revenue, which I'm concerned isn't achievable with the relatively slow travel times for Toronto to Montreal.

The addition of the Ottawa bypass to the HFR map makes me fear that my concerns are correct, and the bypass is the lipstick for the pig. I hope I'm wrong!

Because the Ecotrain study was literally a High Speed Rail study?
The 3:38 time was, according to Urban Sky, for the 200 km/hr option - not HSR. (BTW, @Urban Sky, your Dropbox link in your post doesn't seem to work). Are you suggesting they are over-estimating the 3:38 time, because they were biased to the faster HSR times?

What does this ridiculous Mirabel red herring have to do with anything? You're just resorting to random moved goalposts now.
Same department. Same city. Similar issue. The biggest problem there was that they got in their mind, that this was the answer to everything, and couldn't let it go, despite being told time and time again by others that the concept was systemically flawed. The end result was that Montreal lost the position of having the primary hub in Eastern Canada - which certainly didn't help the economic decline of the late 1970s and 1980s.

So we're at the point now where you will actually oppose investment, if it doesn't fit your narrow definition of preferred routing or form. You're no friend of public transport.
Sorry? Where did I say I'd oppose investment. I've even advocated for additional investment for HFR west of Toronto. It's a brilliant scheme - poorly executed. In another thread I've vocally opposed the Ontario line, but also said the worst thing that the Liberals can do is cancel it if they are elected.

Criticizing potential flaws in a plan isn't opposing public transport. It's that kind of "my way or the highway" approach that we see more and more in the workplace, that removes the essential critical thinking to come up with the best possible plan.

I'd be thrilled to see them go ahead with this - even as planned. But I have concerns, and a belief it could be a lot better.

(BTW, @Urban Sky, your Dropbox link in your post doesn't seem to work)
Please quote whichever text has an incorrect link. I checked all links in my previous two posts while logged out of Dropbox and they seem to work...

Do you know of any rail services in any country, which have such a type of seats in a two-class configuration? I ask because I can only think of JR West's Gran Class, but there it is as a First Class and thus even above Business ("green") Class...

The 3:38 time was, according to Urban Sky, for the 200 km/hr option - not HSR.

It was HSR. As in they required a fully segregated and grade separated corridor. The only difference between the two options was speed and electrification. This is different from HFR, which proposes not to require grade separation across the entire corridor.

Same department.

VIA built Mirabel? Learn something new everyday....

Also, do you know who was running the Canada Infrastructure Bank back then?

Sure, if people can stop pretending that there won't be a loss of the potential for express services between Toronto to Montreal.

Who cares? Serious question. If every train is better than today's express trains, why should anybody not see this as an improvement?

Also, separate express trains to Montreal, isn't exactly inconsequential. As I (and others) have pointed out, this kind of operation has consequences for frequency, operating cost, etc.

Last edited:
Do you know of any rail services in any country, which have such a type of seats in a two-class configuration? I ask because I can only think of JR West's Gran Class, but there it is as a First Class and thus even above Business ("green") Class...

I am curious. How do passenger rail operators normally decide on LOPA? I sort of find it odd that the higher speed services (such as the Shinkansen) can offer something like Gran Class, but that the market can't support something like that on a service with longer trip times. That seems counter-intuitive.

Please quote whichever text has an incorrect link. I checked all links in my previous two posts while logged out of Dropbox and they seem to work...

I have only seen one on Google search. https://i2.wp.com/railtravelstation...abaya-Pasar-Turi-078.jpg?resize=768,512&ssl=1

I am curious. How do passenger rail operators normally decide on LOPA? I sort of find it odd that the higher speed services (such as the Shinkansen) can offer something like Gran Class, but that the market can't support something like that on a service with longer trip times. That seems counter-intuitive.
I would agree to stand the whole way if you can get me from Toronto to Montreal in less than 2 hours. Lol.

You can apparently find these cars on a luxury night train called Argo Bromo Anggrek, so hardly applicable to VIA's Corridor service:
1637269111368.png

It will increase speeds? I must have missed something there - aren't they still constrained to 160 km/hr because of the level crossing issue? Or are there points through the Canadian Shield where there are so few crossings, that it's viable to go faster, and/or do some grade separations.
It will decrease travel times, by reducing freight interference.

Have you seriously never ever heard of the freight carriers? How they affect VIA's performance? Or of their budget limitations?
Yes, it will increase Montreal-Toronto demand - if delivered as promised. I'm deeply suspicious though that they'll be able to maintain fast frequent services from places like Kingston to the other 3 cities - and wonder if the increased demand would exceed the losses there. And I'm deeply suspicious that they can even get to Agincourt in any decent time. If they really planning to go up the Don Valley to the CP line - then why are Metrolinx building a (very controversial) storage yard on the very track VIA would be running on?
If you take your lovely press conference as proof, the minister said at the same conference that T-M trip times would decrease by up to 90 minutes.
In other words, it's not happening.
You can't have your cake and eat it too.
I've proposed that there be a single route from Toronto, to Kingston, along the alignment VIA proposed to Smith Falls, then into Ottawa and onto Montreal - with no bypass - for about 3.5 hours as VIA proposed. Or 3.6 hours if Urban Sky's Ecotrain numbers are more correct.
In other words, along the current alignment.
1637270636759.png
1637270654130.png

HFR greatly splits services, with plans for Kingston-Ottawa, Kingston-Montreal, and Kingston-Toronto services in addition to the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal HFR service. And now apparently with a potential bypass of Ottawa.

An decrease of trip times on every trip is not a loss of the potential for express services.

An Ottawa bypass can be built when HFR is more successful and could use an upgrade.
It's also predicated on a certain ridership, and revenue, which I'm concerned isn't achievable with the relatively slow travel times for Toronto to Montreal.
How about we scrap the current services, because they're not up to an arbitrary standard you've set in your head?

Absolutely inconceivable statement.
The addition of the Ottawa bypass to the HFR map makes me fear that my concerns are correct, and the bypass is the lipstick for the pig. I hope I'm wrong!
I hope you're wrong too.
The 3:38 time was, according to Urban Sky, for the 200 km/hr option - not HSR. (BTW, @Urban Sky, your Dropbox link in your post doesn't seem to work). Are you suggesting they are over-estimating the 3:38 time, because they were biased to the faster HSR times?
Are we talking about VIA Fast? No way we can get 3:38 today. Unless you live in a time capsule?
Same department. Same city. Similar issue.
No, not really. We're talking about linear services, not a division of concentrated services.

If anything, your proposal is closer to the Mirabel situation; dividing the largest markets (rather than a peripheral service) to 1/2 convenience (ie. frequency) for marginal benefit.
The biggest problem there was that they got in their mind, that this was the answer to everything, and couldn't let it go, despite being told time and time again by others that the concept was systemically flawed. The end result was that Montreal lost the position of having the primary hub in Eastern Canada - which certainly didn't help the economic decline of the late 1970s and 1980s.
Mirabel would have been a better idea if they closed Dorval altogether, since it would concentrate the aviation investment. Instead of improving two airports, they would only need to improve a single airport.
Criticizing potential flaws in a plan isn't opposing public transport. It's that kind of "my way or the highway" approach that we see more and more in the workplace, that removes the essential critical thinking to come up with the best possible plan.
Like ignoring evidence and not using critical thinking.
I'd be thrilled to see them go ahead with this - even as planned. But I have concerns, and a belief it could be a lot better.
I think HFR could be better.

Unless you get a genie lamp, this is the best way to get maximum output for minimum investment for VIA, as well as leaving future plans open.

Last edited:
Working fine now ... wanted me to sign-in last night - perhaps I did something stupid. Thanks for putting this stuff up.

VIA built Mirabel? Learn something new everyday....

Also, do you know who was running the Canada Infrastructure Bank back then?
As far as I know, Transport Canada has/had the ultimate say on both HFR and Mirabel. Though hopefully the involvement of the CIB would provide a more neutral and realistic business case than at Mirabel.

Speaking of business cases, where is the one for HFR? Via Rail and Transport Canada make even Metrolinx look transparent!

CIB didn't even exist back then - but back in 1967 when they misidentified the need for an additional passenger airport for Montreal, the PM was Pearson. It was a common trend at the time to try and replace existing airports with bigger ones further out of town. The second airport in Edmonton was under Diefenbaker - and remains a long way from Edmonton, unlike the old Edmonton airport, which stayed open for a half-century after it was originally supposed to close. The second (third?) airport for Toronto was under Trudeau in the late 1960s - but fortunately they all came to their senses in the mid-1970s, just as Mirabel opened, and put a halt to it.

Serious question. If every train is better than today's express trains, why should anybody not see this as an improvement?
Because it's no where near the performance that could be obtained by adding dedicated track (and new legislation) to the Kingston Sub between Toronto and Kingston (and incrementally further). It's not even anywhere near as good as what VIA could achieve until relatively recently when CN started being increasingly difficult.

Also, separate express trains to Montreal, isn't exactly inconsequential. As I (and others) have pointed out, this kind of operation has consequences for frequency, operating cost, etc.
As does the HFR plan of maintaining service on the Kingston-Toronto, Kingston-Montreal, and Kingston-Ottawa services. Not to mention the Montreal-Drummondville and Quebec City-Drummondville services (and if maintaining those is important, where are the Quebec-Sherbrooke and Montreal-Sherbrook services!).

It will decrease travel times, by reducing freight interference.
You said faster trains, not decreased travel times. Decreased (and better) travel times could be achieved on the existing alignments if there was political will to legislate on how additional federally-funded tracks were to be used.

Have you seriously never ever heard of the freight carriers?
Given that most of the HFR system getting new service is going to be shared with freight, doesn't that kill HFR as well?

If you take your lovely press conference as proof, the minister said at the same conference that T-M trip times would decrease by up to 90 minutes.
Ah, that's where I heard it - doesn't that imply that T-M service is using the Ottawa bypass from the very beginning?

Tell is when you find it
I thought we'd seen some sub-4 hour travel times somewhere, that could only be explained by a by-pass - but I can't find them now.
The minister himself said they'd be knocking 90 minutes off the T-M travel times! That would put them less than 4 hours - which can't be achieved without a bypass (and even then it seems iffy).

In other words, along the current alignment.
No - new alignment from Ottawa to Smith Falls, somewhere near, but a bit east of Highway 15. And also routing all T-M trains through both Kingston and Ottawa - unlike what it appears HFR is now doing.

No way we can get 3:38 today. Unless you live in a time capsule?
Not today, but with the upgrades that VIA Fast envisioned, and legislation to provide VIA with priority access to additional tracks along the CN Kingston Sub.

Please remain civil - just because you don't agree with me isn't a reason for personal attacks. Even if I am 100% wrong.

Mirabel would have been a better idea if they closed Dorval altogether, since it would concentrate the aviation investment. Instead of improving two airports, they would only need to improve a single airport.
It would have - but not as good as the option of keeping Dorval for all passenger traffic, and moving freight to another (much smaller) location.

Because it's no where near the performance that could be obtained by adding dedicated track (and new legislation) to the Kingston Sub between Toronto and Kingston (and incrementally further). It's not even anywhere near as good as what VIA could achieve until relatively recently when CN started being increasingly difficult.

Playing amateur lawyer here…. Once VIA has its own line, I expect CN’s position before the CTA would be….CN has always respected the public interest ie VIA’s need for a high quality route to connect Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal… and CN recognized that this traditionally fell on CN’s shoulders as an obligation to the public good, even in the face of the divestiture of CN as a public asset.

But now that VIA has its own route, CN should be relieved of the obligation to provide that high quality route…. and it is now able to degrade the Kingston line to whatever capacity and quality it needs for its freight operation.

CN is likely to keep the line in good enough shape for good speed - perhaps 75-80 mph for passenger, as we see on other lines eg the Dundas Sub. But does CN need double track throughout? Probably not…. for the number of freight trains they operate, they could revert to single track, as they have from Toronto to Winnipeg.

One has to believe that some amount of rail on the Kingston Sub is nearing end of life. Once VIA is reduced to local service, what compels CN to replace old rail as it wears out? Maybe some sections are taken out of service, or slow orders are placed on the track. Ties, ditto.

I had heard a couple of months ago that VIA’s service agreement with CN was up for renewal. We don’t know how strong VIA’s levers to enforce its contract might be, and I will bet that CN will have sought looser terms in the renewal negotiations.

It’s all very well to talk about what legislation might enable, but clearly no party with the prospect of forming a government is willing to contemplate that.

My bottom line - I suspect CN has decided that it’s time for VIA to exit, and it may have the upper hand. I doubt a VIA Fast plan can be imposed on CN even if it were the more attractive business case. CN can simply decline to fix the track beyond what its freight needs. CN may be holding the trump cards.

- Paul

Back