News   Jul 12, 2024
 871     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 779     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 327     0 

VIA Rail

I don't get the doctrinaire viewpoint that only one technology can win. VIA operations are all very different. And there will be different technologies for different applications in different timeframes. And all of this is far, far less important than VIA getting its own track.

I agree 100%! Catenary, batteries and hydrogen will all likely have a role to play as VIA electrifies its operations over the next 30 years. The exact mix is rather fuzzy at the moment though, and rather than be distracted by the details, it is more important to create an environment where VIA can get a larger modal share in the corridor.

I agree 100%! Catenary, batteries and hydrogen will all likely have a role to play as VIA electrifies its operations over the next 30 years. The exact mix is rather fuzzy at the moment though, and rather than be distracted by the details, it is more important to create an environment where VIA can get a larger modal share in the corridor.

I agree. There is no such thing as "one size fits all" when it comes to rail or any transport mode for that matter.

As we quickly decarbonize it is imperative that VIA is ahead of the game and not behind it if they want to increase ridership in the Corridor in the medium term. Trucks and buses will be the first major mode to transfer over to zero emissions whether that be battery or hydrogen all depending on such things as distance. It's very possible that nearly all inter-city Corridor bus services will be using zero emissions vehicles by the end of this decade.

Can you imagine VIA's ads in 2030-35,.............."Help kill the planet, take the train! "

^
Can you imagine VIA's ads in 2030-35,.............."Help kill the planet, take the train! "

If there are any gas autos left by 2030, and I think there will be, getting people out of cars and onto diesel trains will save more carbon than removing carbon from the rides of existing passengers. Getting people out of A-220‘s and B-737 Max’s ditto. Those aren’t being delivered with expectations of a 9 year service life.

It’s more important for VIA to spend whatever capital is available on extending the network and raising modal share. Sure, buy carbon free equipment for whatever niches come along, but running the Chargers til 2040 is quite appropriate.

- Paul

^

If there are any gas autos left by 2030, and I think there will be, getting people out of cars and onto diesel trains will save more carbon than removing carbon from the rides of existing passengers. Getting people out of A-220‘s and B-737 Max’s ditto. Those aren’t being delivered with expectations of a 9 year service life.

It’s more important for VIA to spend whatever capital is available on extending the network and raising modal share. Sure, buy carbon free equipment for whatever niches come along, but running the Chargers til 2040 is quite appropriate.

- Paul
If the feds would allow provinces and municipalities to pitch in and build stations and help pay for trains that would help them be more successful. Train stations used to be the hub of each city but with cars that has changed.

We need to make train stations a hub again.

Also phasing in new rolling stock in stages would make it less expensive.

Off topic by why do you need a car with 1000km range? Can you drive for 8-10 hours without stopping to pee?
Charging stations were very rare last time I bought a new car - and not quick to charge. I can't say I've seen a lot of them really, but they are starting to become a bit more common. 1000 km is rare, but I frequently do 750 km - occasionally up to 1,200 km.

Hence my curiosity on what gives a 2.000 km range? Charge times under 5 minutes would be a game changer too

Hence my curiosity on what gives a 2.000 km range?
A diesel locomotive (though in the case of VIA's non-Corridor services, the hours spent in sidings depress the range offered by the F40's fuel tanks).

Can we now get back on-topic, or even better: outsource the pointless "Overhead catenary vs. Hydrogen vs. Battery trains" discussion to the "General Railway discussions" thread, as (in absence of widespread infrastructure ownership) VIA can only adopt whichever electrification technology has been implemented by its host railroads?

VIA seems to have brought back assigned seating and largely restored service between Ottawa and Montreal by reintroducing the Ren and Stainless Steel fleets. The departure schedule now appears to be mostly the same as the pre-pandemic service offerings but with without the occasional onwards service to Fallowfield or the departures from Ottawa and Montreal at ~11:20 and ~15:00 respectively.

I'm not 100% sure that the Ren trains are fully back into service but the I've been assigned a single seat for my trip back to Montreal and just saw one with passengers waiting on the approach into Montreal as the Stainless train I'm currently riding was also held up on departure due to some signal/switching drama.

1631381596617.png

The current federal target for auto electrification is 30% by 2030. The Liberals are pledging to raise that to 50% by 2030, to align with the Biden Administration. The Conservatives are pledging to keep the current 30% target. With half of sales being electric, easily 75-80% of cars on the road will still be burning gas. Even by 2035, when 100% of car sales are supposed to be electric, easily 40-50% of the cars on the road will be burning gas. VIA is going to the greener way for a long time to come.

Of course, the best argument for taking the train should never be environmental. It should be because the train is more comfortable, convenient and cheaper. We all know, very few people ever do anything solely for environmental good.

Last edited:
Lord knows I'm no fan of Trudeau for having called an election for what can only be described as selfish reasons while not having kept focus on seeing things to completion like Afghanistan evacuation, reconciliation deliverables (like drinking water), and the the pandemic finish line. To me it is like asking for a final report card to see if you passed halfway through the semester... of course you didn't pass yet! However, how can the Liberals fail to deliver on timelines for subways and light rail?? What subways and light rail is delivered by the federal government?? The cities and provinces apply for funding and then they may get it, but timelines are not in the federal hands.

So basically status quo with no new investment. Why would you run on that kind of platform? What's the point? I guess it could be viewed as fiscally responsible.

I read the article. The headline is misleading. The CPC position seems to be that they will disband the CIB and repurpose funds due to the bank for their infrastructure pledges.

Also, just to contrast none of the other platforms actually put a dollar figure on HFR either. It's always some commitment just to build it.

I read the article. The headline is misleading. The CPC position seems to be that they will disband the CIB and repurpose funds due to the bank for their infrastructure pledges.

Also, just to contrast none of the other platforms actually put a dollar figure on HFR either. It's always some commitment just to build it.
It says in the globe and mail that he is committed to building what is committed and funded. But there is no new money for new projects.

So HFR is not funded and approved so they don't need to commit to building it.

Like with any other projects, such as electrification of the west corridor.

Back