News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 935     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

VIA Rail

So 10 years to build (if on time), and a budget of 6-12G$ for this. CN and CP refuses electrification. Why the government don't force them for the 10% of the routes that they own.

Because installing overhead at taxpayers’ expense using engineering and technology chosen by VIA before CN/CP have established their own standard is not prudent. Let the railways work out their issues with electrification, and put up their own wires to their own satisfaction. (at their own expense, but maybe with incentives for territory VIA uses). If necessary, modify VIA’s locomotives for compatibility with the freight standard.

I do think the railways will electrify eventually. In the meanwhile, let the sleeping dog lie….

- Paul

"The government is taking the first steps in preparing for a procurement process"... What is the commitment? They don't even commit to when the RFP for something tangible will occur, or set goals on when phase 1 would be expected to come online. "The request for proposal for the procurement process is expected to launch in fall 2021". Wait... is this an RFP for a corridor, or an RFP for a procurement process which would need to start in order to create RFPs for tangible things?

"Federal projections estimate the amount of trips taken by rail in the Toronto to Quebec City corridor would more than triple, from 4.8 million in 2019 to a projected 17 million by 2059." Should I be concerned that they consider 2059 a key date??

Last edited:
Source?

There is no way this should take 10 years. $6B with electrification sure. But $12B is a pretty ridiculous estimate.

It also says there will be a bypass for Ottawa for MTL-TO trains. (I never understood why anglo media never use the International System of Units for money)

It also says there will be a bypass for Ottawa for MTL-TO trains. (I never understood why anglo media never use the International System of Units for money)
Interesting... in that report it says the project will be complete in 2030. That is not too bad for a project only 26 years in the making... assuming the project isn't the procurement process :D

Interesting... in that report it says the project will be complete in 2030. That is not too bad for a project only 26 years in the making... assuming the project isn't the procurement process :D
wow.... what an unsurprisingly unambitious target to set. In 8 years we'll be old then and probably a 1/3 of the current liberals would be retired or dead of old age. Apart from the new stations the next item that will take the longest to procure would probably be the trains. Going with the corridor model itll probably take them 5 years to get the fleet. Looks like theyre adding a couple years of safety.

Strange article. They are saying that Ottawa will be on a branch line and that it will be possible to go from Toronto to Montreal in 4 hrs. That is not at all in line with what we know of HFR today. Not sure if something got lost in translation (literally and figuratively there). And while it does mention that one of the ministers gave an estimate of $6-12B (a ridiculously broad range), it's not clear where they got that 10 yr timeframe estimate from. Shouldn't take a decade to upgrade and existing rail corridor and build 5 stations.

20210706_145959.jpg

1625598097186.png

This map, from the Radio-Canada article, would be a radical departure from the previously published maps. I wonder how much of this is real.

From the above article, the travel times:

1625598434367.png

Certainly, I don't see any way to hit 4hrs to Montreal using the route via Ottawa.

The previous best scheduled time, so far as I recall was 3hr59 for Toronto to Montreal, running express, due east out through Cornwall.

So I assume this is premised on that trip being restored, to its previous best; even so, that was only ever 1 departure a day, I think......

wow.... what an unsurprisingly unambitious target to set. In 8 years we'll be old then and probably a 1/3 of the current liberals would be retired or dead of old age. Apart from the new stations the next item that will take the longest to procure would probably be the trains. Going with the corridor model itll probably take them 5 years to get the fleet. Looks like theyre adding a couple years of safety.

I suspect that would be to complete all three stages.

As for the fleet requirements, the new fleet order has the option to buy 12 additional trainsets, which should be enough to get HFR off the ground. Executing an option is usually much faster than an RFQ.

Back