News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 859     0 

VIA Rail

Of course, but the colour scheme is just so bland. I can't imagine how a few decals will be able to fix this boring, uninspired colour scheme.

VIA has made no secret that the colour scheme will be like this (note all the black). I think it looks sharp, but I guess not everyone will agree.

Image courtesy VIA Rail

Most likely the black isn't paint but a conversion coating or maybe a powder coating. Either way, it would be far easier to have one colour for the entire unit and use a vinyl wrap to apply the livery.

It could be done completely in vinyl panels. The technology has come a long way and is no doubt cheaper and faster than a paint shop.
OC Transpo gets all their Nova buses in all white now - the entire livery, which is not an insignificant amount, is vinyl. It's a lot quicker to fix repairs when you only have to deal with one paint colour and minimal masking.

202011012 - Modernization of HEP1 Coach Septa Cars

Can someone explain what the “Septa” means here?
Gosh, I’m glad you asked, because I erroneously believed that they had been somehow inherited from SEPTA of Pennsylvania (which of course never really made sense to me)! Thankfully, my 2015 Trackside Guide educates me better:
4AF0ACA4-A50A-4C9B-9578-BCC135596DB1.jpeg

Last edited:
I guess this is different from the program that was cancelled? At least they are doing something to keep them running.
Yes and no. Yes in that the specs for what is being done is different. But no in that these cars were allocated to the contract that was supposed to be done - and then cancelled - by Bombardier.

Dan

Gosh, I’m glad you asked, because I erroneously believed that they had been somehow inherited from SEPTA of Pennsylvania (which of course never really made sense to me)! Thankfully, my 2015 Trackside Guide educates me better:
View attachment 296366

Thanks! So referring back to VIA's website, I am guessing these are the stainless-steel cars (minus number 8136) "acquired secondhand from various railroads in the United States to augment the fleet." This is based on the assumption that cars numbered 8100-8129 were the 30 cars "built in the 1950s for use by the CPR on their Canadian and Dominion trains."

EDIT: Looking at the attachment again, it says exactly that, though it seems like number 8128 (formerly #128) had been retired prior to VIA acquiring them.

Last edited:
Yes and no. Yes in that the specs for what is being done is different. But no in that these cars were allocated to the contract that was supposed to be done - and then cancelled - by Bombardier.

Dan

I remember seeing a notice about this cancelled project, but I can no longer find a link. Does anyone else have it?

I remember seeing a notice about this cancelled project, but I can no longer find a link. Does anyone else have it?
i honestly think this is a good thing as it forced Via to accept the reality that their ancient relics are not suitable for today's railroads. I look
forward to their announcement of the non corridor fleet of trains.

Back