News   Feb 26, 2021
 1K     0 
News   Feb 26, 2021
 1.9K     7 

VIA Rail

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
Will there locomotives be used to haul anything other than venture cars? Will there be no more HEP cars in the corridor?

What will be retired first, F40's or P42's? And to keep the F40's long haul routes is there any refubishmwent programs planned? Since they will expect to be in service for at least another 5 years.

Can't wait for corridor testing.

Could they rotate through the rest of the lines to have the best equipment out with spares strategically stored?

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
^Until we see it with paint, we don't know for a fact that it's VIA's - could be some other buyer's, but I'm trusting the source to know what they are looking at. Hard to tell from the photo. Could be a false alarm, but I figured it was worth passing along.

- Paul

Darwinkgo

Member Bio
Reaction score
It could be done completely in vinyl panels. The technology has come a long way and is no doubt cheaper and faster than a paint shop.
IIRC Siemens urban transit has been delivering 100% wraps or decals on white for a while now in north america. Wouldn't be surprised to see the same on their other products.

roger1818

Member Bio
Reaction score
Of course, but the colour scheme is just so bland. I can't imagine how a few decals will be able to fix this boring, uninspired colour scheme.

VIA has made no secret that the colour scheme will be like this (note all the black). I think it looks sharp, but I guess not everyone will agree.

Image courtesy VIA Rail

Most likely the black isn't paint but a conversion coating or maybe a powder coating. Either way, it would be far easier to have one colour for the entire unit and use a vinyl wrap to apply the livery.

Catenary

Member Bio
Reaction score
It could be done completely in vinyl panels. The technology has come a long way and is no doubt cheaper and faster than a paint shop.
OC Transpo gets all their Nova buses in all white now - the entire livery, which is not an insignificant amount, is vinyl. It's a lot quicker to fix repairs when you only have to deal with one paint colour and minimal masking.

Urban Sky

Member Bio
Reaction score

202011012 - Modernization of HEP1 Coach Septa Cars

Can someone explain what the “Septa” means here?
Gosh, I’m glad you asked, because I erroneously believed that they had been somehow inherited from SEPTA of Pennsylvania (which of course never really made sense to me)! Thankfully, my 2015 Trackside Guide educates me better:
4AF0ACA4-A50A-4C9B-9578-BCC135596DB1.jpeg

Last edited:

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
I guess this is different from the program that was cancelled? At least they are doing something to keep them running.
Yes and no. Yes in that the specs for what is being done is different. But no in that these cars were allocated to the contract that was supposed to be done - and then cancelled - by Bombardier.

Dan

roger1818

Member Bio
Reaction score
Gosh, I’m glad you asked, because I erroneously believed that they had been somehow inherited from SEPTA of Pennsylvania (which of course never really made sense to me)! Thankfully, my 2015 Trackside Guide educates me better:
View attachment 296366

Thanks! So referring back to VIA's website, I am guessing these are the stainless-steel cars (minus number 8136) "acquired secondhand from various railroads in the United States to augment the fleet." This is based on the assumption that cars numbered 8100-8129 were the 30 cars "built in the 1950s for use by the CPR on their Canadian and Dominion trains."

EDIT: Looking at the attachment again, it says exactly that, though it seems like number 8128 (formerly #128) had been retired prior to VIA acquiring them.

Last edited: