News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 632     0 

VIA Rail

What makes you think that they haven't?

They bid on the lot of 12 RDCs from Dallas.
I meant seriously. As in issue an RFI to purchase new ones.

The LRCs were built from day one to support bi-directional operation. That's why they were the first non-commuter equipment in Canada built with pass-through MU lines. That's why they regularly operated with locos at both ends of the consist.
That's what I thought I remembered ... but Roger above seemed adamant they didn't configure the seating that way until 2016, so I started to question my own memories.

That's what I thought I remembered ... but Roger above seemed adamant they didn't configure the seating that way until 2016, so I started to question my own memories.
On the note of MUs, NA seriously needs to catch up when it comes to this. Is there anything new out there these days that are equivalent to RDCs that we can get?
It seems like were still stuck in the 60s everytime we talk about intercity type multiple units whether itd be diesel or electric. MUs are far superior when it comes to short consists for smaller routes such as the ones to northern ontario as you dont need to waste a loco that can pull 10+ cars for a 2 car operation, plus another loco as a "cab car"

On the note of MUs, NA seriously needs to catch up when it comes to this. Is there anything new out there these days that are equivalent to RDCs that we can get?
It seems like were still stuck in the 60s everytime we talk about intercity type multiple units whether itd be diesel or electric. MUs are far superior when it comes to short consists for smaller routes such as the ones to northern ontario as you dont need to waste a loco that can pull 10+ cars for a 2 car operation, plus another loco as a "cab car"
Not sure why a version of the one's that Metrolinx purchased isn't an option.

But if you issue an RFI, you'd find out. Doesn't cost anything.

Not sure why a version of the one's that Metrolinx purchased isn't an option.

But if you issue an RFI, you'd find out. Doesn't cost anything.

Well, it costs you the engineering bill for writing the spec. You can't RFI without a spec.

Then, you'd have to see if the one Metrolinx purchased meets your spec. I'm not saying that particular model wouldn't meet VIA's spec, but I'm not assuming that it would.

And then you'd have to find bidders who have a product that they feel can meet the spec, and you'd have to induce them to writing a proposal for the RFI, and for that they'd have to be confident that you could afford their price so it's worth the effort to bid. The last bit never seems to align for VIA, because for that to happen they have to convince Ottawa that a certain number of angels will fit on the head of a pin. (To be less sarcastic, even a very pragmatic business-oriented board would insist on a business case before releasing enough money to back a credible order of DMU's)

- Paul

Last edited:
If VIA hasn't gone enough engineering on staff to write a very basic RFI, in regular working hours, and just see what comes back ... then might as well just just close the entire operation, and let Transport Canada contract to private operators, with little oversight.

Last edited:

The Northlander, the only train to northern Ontario not counting the Canadian, typically consisted of three passenger-carrying cars and could be longer if bookings increased. It would be interesting to know if there is a magic line where the costs of operating self-propelled units vs. loco-hauled diverge. I suppose the other argument, at least from a smaller road like ONR, is the locomotive power is simply part of their fleet and can probably be swapped out as needed.

The Northlander, the only train to northern Ontario not counting the Canadian, typically consisted of three passenger-carrying cars and could be longer if bookings increased. It would be interesting to know if there is a magic line where the costs of operating self-propelled units vs. loco-hauled diverge. I suppose the other argument, at least from a smaller road like ONR, is the locomotive power is simply part of their fleet and can probably be swapped out as needed.
Don't forget that you need to pay per axle for the generator car that doesn't generate any revenue.
Semi low floor trains would be usefull on the route to the north since the platforms are low.
How about lease some GO Bi-levels and attach a cafe car? But you will need a locomotive with a HEP generator or haul around a generator car.

Are there any F59PH's available on the used market? They would have HEP and geared for passenger service. Amtrak has P42's and P40's that will be retiring but the parts will be difficult to get once the majority of the fleet is retired.

What happened to the failed MI-Train locomotives, did they get leased out?

Their passenger fleet is used equpiment, some from GO's original fleet. They use a regular engine that will do the job for it, Even the TEE was used equipment.

Don't forget that you need to pay per axle for the generator car that doesn't generate any revenue.
Semi low floor trains would be usefull on the route to the north since the platforms are low.
How about lease some GO Bi-levels and attach a cafe car? But you will need a locomotive with a HEP generator or haul around a generator car.

Are there any F59PH's available on the used market? They would have HEP and geared for passenger service. Amtrak has P42's and P40's that will be retiring but the parts will be difficult to get once the majority of the fleet is retired.

What happened to the failed MI-Train locomotives, did they get leased out?

I have always thought that one or 2 Bilevels would be better than a longer train. They could even turn a lower end into a snack car. As far as HEP, if an engine(s) were selected, there is no reason a HEP generator couldn't be installed.

I really don't have an opinion pro/con on the use of bi-levels but I imagine if they did they would have to be reconfigured. In addition to cafe/cafeteria space and space for luggage, I'm not sure commuter-grade seating works for long-haul (it was, what, 11 hours end-to-end?). The recent re-builds of the existing single-levels look quite nice.

ONR recently purchased a couple of used locos and turned them into APUs. I imagine their mindset is to keep their motive power fleet flexible rather than configuring some for passenger and limiting their options.

I really don't have an opinion pro/con on the use of bi-levels but I imagine if they did they would have to be reconfigured. In addition to cafe/cafeteria space and space for luggage, I'm not sure commuter-grade seating works for long-haul (it was, what, 11 hours end-to-end?). The recent re-builds of the existing single-levels look quite nice.

ONR recently purchased a couple of used locos and turned them into APUs. I imagine their mindset is to keep their motive power fleet flexible rather than configuring some for passenger and limiting their options.

They could change out the seats and reconfigure the cars as they see fit. It is the space that might work well for making a better train experience.

Perhaps VIA could order dome cars like this to replace the stainless fleet?
Railway Gazette International: Rocky Mountaineer announces 'Rockies to the Red Rocks' luxury train.

What do you call the process that led to the purchase of the Siemen's equipment then?!? It wasn't serious?

You seem to think that the folks at VIA have been sitting on their hands for the past 30 years. I can assure you that they weren't. They had many plans for getting new (or refurbished) equipment to augment what they had, but every time it was kyboshed by the who are actually in charge - the Government.

Dan

Railway Gazette International: Rocky Mountaineer announces 'Rockies to the Red Rocks' luxury train.
Think you ended up with the wrong link there:
Rocky Mountaineer orders luxury dome cars from Stadler

Think you ended up with the wrong link there:
Rocky Mountaineer orders luxury dome cars from Stadler

They do look nice. Interesting that they seem to be a dinning car on the lower level and have regular seating on the upper. It is also interesting that, unlike Amtrak's Superliners, they don't allow travel between coaches on the upper level. I am guessing they are making each car self contained to remove the need to travel through the train. I assume that could be a modification though for a different customer.

I don't think the Skyline (and Park) cars are VIA's biggest issue on their long distance trains. If they are going to continue to offer long distance service, what they really need is new sleepers.

1What do you call the process that led to the purchase of the Siemen's equipment then?!? It wasn't serious?
I was strictly talking about RDCs. Of course the Siemens process was serious.

Have they ever issued an RFI or RFQ for new self-powered cars?

If they are going to continue to offer long distance service, what they really need is new sleepers.
What happened to all the spare Renaissance sleepers? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_(railcar) notes that there were 72 originally, but 29 were never completed and scrapped and 27 are in service. So where are the other 16? (presumably an error on that page)

(looking at https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/VIA_Rail_Canada#Active_Roster_2 I'd guess they got converted to baggage cars)

Last edited:

Back