News   Apr 22, 2024
 774     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 259     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 662     0 

VIA Rail

Would there not be an opportunity to do an express version. Ie. Toronto -> Peterborough -> Ottawa -> Montreal for example to cut those times down and try to win some of the business class from the airlines. While also having a more commuter based train that goes to the hamlets. Almost like Amtrak does with an Acela express that goes to limited stations and is business oriented and then a more regional rail approach. I'm sure that would likely involve more tracking (passing tracks) and what not.

There's not even a shovel in the ground and we're already down to single track. Multiple services is not possible.

^ VIA has said service would be maintained on the existing line. "Trade" implies it would disappear.

Theres not currently any service on the HFR line because it doesnt exist. What are you talking about? Please be more clear.

What WE are talking about is all the communities along the yet to be built HFR line demanding they have stops in agreement to support the HFR line being built in their backyard.

^ Various quotes in past media articles have mentioned stops in Perth and Sharbot Lake. I don’t recall whether VIA was quoted for those or whether it was local pols who were quoted. I suspect there may be a certain amount of locals’ wishful thinking being voiced.

The good news is, there really aren’t many more places on that line that might beg for service. I don't see VIA having a problem stopping one or two trains a day in either of those places. Maybe Tweed as well. Havelock ? Norwood? No more difficult in total than the lesser stops they serve on the existing route. And if they stagger them creatively (let’s assume the biggest market would be Toronto-Tweed, and Tweed- Ottawa, not Tweed-Sharbot Lake, for instance) one or two stops per run would not be fatal to timekeeping.

I am far more worried about what the prevailing top speed will be. The nominal figure is 177 km/hr, but if that is only reached in spots with many slowdowns for curves etc, the end to end trip times will be less attractive even if no stops are made. Can’t wait until some of that detailed design reaches the public domain.

- Paul

I am far more worried about what the prevailing top speed will be. The nominal figure is 177 km/hr, but if that is only reached in spots with many slowdowns for curves etc, the end to end trip times will be less attractive even if no stops are made. Can’t wait until some of that detailed design reaches the public domain.

Thats why im adamant they need to purchase the same cars as being used on the Acela corridor, as they tilt further than any other trainset and can increase speeds around curves up to 20%.

Thats why im adamant they need to purchase the same cars as being used on the Acela corridor, as they tilt further than any other trainset and can increase speeds around curves up to 20%.

Probably not happening. They took out options on the Siemens order specifically so they can exercise them when HFR is approved.

Also, as per @Urban Sky this whole thing is being designed for as little capital as practical. So the kind of opportunity investment that most of us here are hoping for is probably not happening.

We'll probably end up with a service that's 3.5 on Toronto-Ottawa, 1.5 hrs on Ottawa-Montreal and 5 hrs on Toronto-Montreal. Via will make their yield on the first two segments and hope to beat out the bus cos on the third trip.

Also, as per @Urban Sky this whole thing is being designed for as little capital as practical. So the kind of opportunity investment that most of us here are hoping for is probably not happening.

Which is probably the most practical approach if you want to see any of this built in the near future. Having worked several large scale provincial and federal procurement bidding processes (not in transit, but in IT infrastructure), it's always prudent for the bidders to go in with an offer on the lower end of the spectrum to get in the door. Once the project is started, it's far easier to include add-ons via change orders (since you are bypassing the usual procurement process).

Which is probably the most practical approach if you want to see any of this built in the near future. Having worked several large scale provincial and federal procurement bidding processes (not in transit, but in IT infrastructure), it's always prudent for the bidders to go in with an offer on the lower end of the spectrum to get in the door. Once the project is started, it's far easier to include add-ons via change orders (since you are bypassing the usual procurement process).

In other words, cost overruns, which means more money from taxpayers, which means one more thing the public will be pissed off about.

In other words, cost overruns, which means more money from taxpayers, which means one more thing the public will be pissed off about.
Ideally, the add-ons would get approved by a parliament vote before construction starts. Drawing from experience from back home in Germany and elsewhere, many of these add-ons are required by local politicians and communities, not the projects’ promoters. Therefore, I wonder what the objection is if the promoters present the minimum project scope which achieves the desired operational and commercial benefits and negotiate their share of these minimal construction costs before politicians add all the noise protection measures into their shopping carts.

It is exactly these kinds of unnecessary bypasses and tunnelling which lets construction costs of rail projects explode and if the respective governments accept that communities receive measures which go beyond what they are legally entitled to, then they should pay for it!

^My own experience has been that "scope creep" is deadly and is to be ruthlessly beaten back. It's imperative that the "bells and whistles" (no pun intended) be clearly laid out before any construction contract is signed. No one should be dreaming up new variations or additions after the project is launched. There is enough risk just with unforeseens and construction related variables.

IT change orders have their own special place in hell, they make vendors huge profits - and they usually derive from inadequate assessment of required functionality and/or unclear instructions to the vendor and/or people dreaming up "enhancements". Caveat emptor applies.

At least with HFR, there will be an EA and many issues of impacts will get aired ahead of time. But - remember the West Toronto Diamond project, where GO assumed a very aggressive construction pace which was undone by residents taking legal action at the CTA over noise at all hours. Stuff happens.

- Paul

In my limited experience as a provincial civil servant, the government is a horrible IT consumer. Often, overruns are necessary simply to get the original project to work in the first place because they didn't properly articulate what it wanted or understand their own environment and/or didn't fully understand what they were buying. When what they wanted isn't delivered by what they bought they will pay more to get there because the alternative - legal action - is lengthy and bad karma, and the vendors know this.

Scope creep happens as well because politicians and bureaucrats know full well that the real cost of what they really want to do simply won't fly with public opinion or treasury board. Going back to the well after millions have already been spent is much easier because, otherwise, the perception is those millions are wasted. I think the feds are much more accomplished at this.

In my limited experience as a provincial civil servant, the government is a horrible IT consumer. Often, overruns are necessary simply to get the original project to work in the first place because they didn't properly articulate what it wanted or understand their own environment and/or didn't fully understand what they were buying. When what they wanted isn't delivered by what they bought they will pay more to get there because the alternative - legal action - is lengthy and bad karma, and the vendors know this.

Oh man cannot agree more. Do web development and have government clients. I've never seen a project completely change in what needs to be done versus what was requested so much than with government jobs. This is even after specifically making sure they know what they are getting and asking a million questions to be absolutely sure.

Never worked on a project for government that didnt at least go 300% over budget.

My favourite lines are such as

"looks good! (after 6 months of work, nearing project completion final stages.) Ill show it to the upper management to see if they approve of it." FOR THE FIRST TIME.

Back