News   Apr 22, 2024
 796     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 267     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 673     0 

VIA Rail

Also CN's freight can't be as delayed because their trains are too long to sit on the short sidings that the Canadian has to sit on.
CN’s train lengths have indeed outgrown an increasing number of sidings, but you don’t seem to understand that a train which still fits into the sidings can swim “against the stream”, whilst long trains which essentially only fit onto yard tracks have to travel in a convoy (which is why the Canadian has to often wait for multiple trains when sitting in a siding)...

It speaks volumes that freight congestion has become so bad that CN’s freight (!) customers have gone on the barricades and pressured CN into massive infrastructure investments, which will increase yard capacity, extend sidings and double-track key segments of its transcontinental network. And even though VIA trains were only an afterthought: these investments will also greatly benefit VIA - and that at no cost to the taxpayer...

I don't think Montrealers should carless about what VIA think of REM. REM will carry a multitude of more passenger per day than VIA ever will. VIA has had a very long time to improve the Corridor and never has. Quite the contrary, VIA service is slower than it use to be and Montreal shouldn't let it's commuters suffer because "one day" VIA will bring good and fast service to Montreal.

I don't think Montrealers should carless about what VIA think of REM. REM will carry a multitude of more passenger per day than VIA ever will. VIA has had a very long time to improve the Corridor and never has. Quite the contrary, VIA service is slower than it use to be and Montreal shouldn't let it's commuters suffer because "one day" VIA will bring good and fast service to Montreal.
I have heard this argument before. However, when we compare the value of REM versus VIA HFR, we need to compare passenger kms instead of just raw passenger numbers. This puts things into better and a more fair perspective.

I have heard this argument before. However, when we compare the value of REM versus VIA HFR, we need to compare passenger kms instead of just raw passenger numbers. This puts things into better and a more fair perspective.
Not necessarily, the equation for calculating value is far more complicated than distance alone. The impacts of encouraging people to drive into downtown and leave their cars there all day have significantly more of an effect on productivity (one person doing their work on a train to Toronto is definitely better than the productivity lost from that person driving or flying, but at the same time, driving induces congestion, which affects far more people that may have no other choice but to drive), the environment, and the cost of doing business than someone choosing to drive to Toronto instead of taking the train.

I'm not saying that VIA HFR isn't important, I'm just trying to say that both have their place and it's unfair to claim that one is inherently better than another while only analyzing one characteristic.

Care less is fine because an extra 15 minutes to navigate around the mountain to get to Quebec City, already a low priority destination on the entire HFR network, and one of the fastest portions, is not a huge deal.

Not to mention that REM is already a shovels in the ground project that is well underway. Most recent project updates from CPQDi indicates that the south shore segment, between Brossard and MTL central station, is set for completion in 2021. The rest of the system gradually opening in the 2022 to 2024 time frame. I've spoken to lots of folks in and around Montreal area, and there is a real sense of pride in the project especially now that most people are able to see real infrastructure going up around the city - Eduard Mont-Petit station, Mcgill Station, Highway 40 elevated tracks - all proceeding at good a pace.

Where as VIA's HFR barely registers in people's minds and god knows when it'll actually get funding beyond design work.

Care less is fine because an extra 15 minutes to navigate around the mountain to get to Quebec City, already a low priority destination on the entire HFR network, and one of the fastest portions, is not a huge deal.
For about 600 passengers a day between QC-MTL. A billion $ for 600 passengers a day, passengers who already have a service being provided that is underused.

For about 600 passengers a day between QC-MTL. A billion $ for 600 passengers a day, passengers who already have a service being provided that is underused.

One could make the argument that underuse is because it is currently not fast or frequent enough to be lucrative to use.

The HFR plan for Montreal-Quebec cuts an hour off of a 3ish hour trip. Thats substantial.

45 minutes if you now include this routing around Mont Royal, but still substantial.

One could make the argument that underuse is because it is currently not fast or frequent enough to be lucrative to use.

The HFR plan for Montreal-Quebec cuts an hour off of a 3ish hour trip. Thats substantial.

45 minutes if you now include this routing around Mont Royal, but still substantial.
Orléans Express which is as fast and is direct has cut frequency so I doubt that VIA will manage to turn things around. Built it and they might not come in this case.

Orléans Express which is as fast and is direct has cut frequency so I doubt that VIA will manage to turn things around. Built it and they might not come in this case.

VIA has had a significant success and increasing ridership on the TOR-OTT route following multiple frequency improvement. I don't see why a similar success could not be achieved between MTL and QC with a HFR system. More frequent departures and a shorter travel time will surely contribute to its success.

Back