News   May 25, 2020
 601     3 
News   May 25, 2020
 225     0 

VIA Rail

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Any news on the progress with the new trains, any manufacturing started yet? I do think the new trains will be quite nice as a modernizing factor for Via.
Manufacturing doesn't start until late next year. They're going to spend the better part of the next year finalizing the design.

Not only that, but Siemens is going to be pretty busy for the next little while with the CALIDOT order, as well as LRVs for San Francisco and Seattle. They aren't likely to have the capacity to start building the VIA order until late next year at the earliest.

Dan

mdrejhon

Member Bio
Reaction score
They are among the best diesels on North American networks so I am rather excited to ride a Canadian equivalent of Brightline here.

I hope VIA HFR proceeds even with just these trains -- with a path to future electrification.

Perhaps the widely predicted Liberal-NDP minority (or coaliition) will make it happen. Minority goverments tend to get more infrastructure projects started -- they trip some fence-sitting dominoes as a quid-pro-quo for supporting each other's initiatives. I'm dissapointed VIA HFR has not started earlier but I think its time will finally come during this administration.

kEiThZ

Member Bio
Reaction score
Perhaps the widely predicted Liberal-NDP minority (or coaliition) will make it happen. Minority goverments tend to get more infrastructure projects started -- they trip some fence-sitting dominoes as a quid-pro-quo for supporting each other's initiatives.
I hope. But, I wonder if social programs will suck out all the oxygen in the room.....

Urban Sky

Member Bio
Reaction score
Perhaps we could get the same coach car technology as the Avelia but with diesels for the HFR plan. I doubt we are getting electrification even at 177kmh at first.

Apparently those new trainsets for the Acela are shaving more time off the twisty northeast corridor. Those turns are not being taken at HSR speeds, so I assume it would benefit non high speed train systems as well.

Its a concern for the HFR plan too, as parts are very twisty up to Peterborough.

Regardless we need to chose tech that will squeeze every last minute out of the HFR route; trains that can go faster around curves and can accelerate and decelerate quickly for each straightaway, since only so much time can be "made up" on the straightaways with a 177kmh speed limit.
They are among the best diesels on North American networks so I am rather excited to ride a Canadian equivalent of Brightline here.

I hope VIA HFR proceeds even with just these trains -- with a path to future electrification.

Perhaps the widely predicted Liberal-NDP minority (or coaliition) will make it happen. Minority goverments tend to get more infrastructure projects started -- they trip some fence-sitting dominoes as a quid-pro-quo for supporting each other's initiatives. I'm dissapointed VIA HFR has not started earlier but I think its time will finally come during this administration.
As I've already pointed out in Post #5,751, the RFQ documents indicate that the trainsets required for HFR are already included as an option in the ongoing Fleet Renewal Programme and that they will allow for partial electrification (i.e. dual-mode operations):
(5) VIA Rail’s current Corridor services are provided on non-electrified infrastructure.
However, over the thirty year life cycle of the trainsets, VIA Rail intends to reduce its use of fossil fuels. Therefore, VIA Rail is working on a long term plan to build its own dedicated infrastructure for passenger service in the Corridor that could be electrified to reduce the use of fossil fuels and allow operation at up
to 125 mph
. This long term plan has been presented by VIA Rail to its shareholder, the Government of Canada, and has yet to be approved. It should be noted that portions of the new routes on this infrastructure would remain non-electrified. Communities located in the current Corridor would also continue to be served by VIA Rail on the current non-electrified infrastructure.

(6) Options to acquire additional trainsets will be principally predicated on the Government of Canada's decision regarding VIA Rail's long term plan to build its own dedicated infrastructure. In the event that VIA Rail is given the authority to build its own infrastructure in the Corridor but such infrastructure is not electrified, then additional diesel only trainsets will be required to enable increased service frequencies. If VIA Rail is given the authority to build its own infrastructure and electrification is required, then the additional trainsets must be capable of both diesel and electric operation (dual-mode) at up to 125 mph, with seamless transition, and bi-directional operation. If the decision on VIA Rail's long term plan and the timeframe to implement this decision is not yet established at the time of the order for
the additional trainsets, then the delivery of the additional trainsets could be deferred until the decision and schedule is available.

Last edited:

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
Via a FB group:

In one of the comments when someone asked if it was a new VIA coach: "...,not VIA specifically but is same style of coach they’ll be getting for the new trainsets. Off for testing as they’ve never been exposed to our winters in service yet."

Additional photo by same author above.

Attachments

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
Via a FB group:

View attachment 211868

In one of the comments when someone asked if it was a new VIA coach: "...,not VIA specifically but is same style of coach they’ll be getting for the new trainsets. Off for testing as they’ve never been exposed to our winters in service yet."

View attachment 211876
Hey look its the Sarnia Train 85!

Oh wait sorry my mistake that train is much too large and nice.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Via a FB group:

View attachment 211868

View attachment 211876
Josh really needs to update his profile photo.

That car is #3 of the CALIDOT order, and currently on the way to an NRC facility in Ottawa for cold-weather testing - this is apparently a stipulation of the Illinois-part of the contract.. Cars 1 and 2 are currently at the TTCI in Pueblo.

Dan

cplchanb

Member Bio
Reaction score
Josh really needs to update his profile photo.

That car is #3 of the CALIDOT order, and currently on the way to an NRC facility in Ottawa for cold-weather testing - this is apparently a stipulation of the Illinois-part of the contract.. Cars 1 and 2 are currently at the TTCI in Pueblo.

Dan
curious, is it by regulations that the windows be that small? Compared to other similar coaches in europe and asia it seems like our coach windows are minute for the the overall dimensions of the car.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
curious, is it by regulations that the windows be that small? Compared to other similar coaches in europe and asia it seems like our coach windows are minute for the the overall dimensions of the car.
The only regulations directly affecting windows are those regarding emergency entry and egress from them.

But as the size of the window can also affect the structural integrity of the body of the vehicle, it may be required to make them smaller than might otherwise be the case to be able to maintain a strength regulation (for instance, the Class 390 Alstom Pendolinos in England).

Dan

littlewill1166

Member Bio
Reaction score
This probably sounds really trivial, but I just ordered a Table d'hote. An old lady across from me wanted a tea, but the service attendant passed by way to quickly. I ordered my meal with the service manager as she was scanning tickets. Service manager brings me my porchetta and coca cola, and offers me tea or coffee for after my meal. I said that I'd pass. Service attendant comes back with the cart and to pick up my tray, the service manager is right behind him. I ask the service attendant to confirm if my meal comes with a tea or coffee and I tell him I want to get one for the old lady across from me. The service attendant says no, shook his head at me like I was doing something wrong, and I could swear that he winked at me (I've had him on at least 20 trains so he knows me). The old lady pays for her tea. The service manager who was standing right behind the cart the whole time and somehow didn't hear a word I just said, offered me a coffee or tea. I really want to know, do the $15 meal trays in economy come with coffee or tea after the meal with a drink with the meal? Also, do service attendants get commission?

P.S. the porchetta was great, liked the turkey cranberry, and wild rice more though.

Snapchat-1312098961.jpg

kEiThZ

Member Bio
Reaction score
This probably sounds really trivial, but I just ordered a Table d'hote. An old lady across from me wanted a tea, but the service attendant passed by way to quickly. I ordered my meal with the service manager as she was scanning tickets. Service manager brings me my porchetta and coca cola, and offers me tea or coffee for after my meal. I said that I'd pass. Service attendant comes back with the cart and to pick up my tray, the service manager is right behind him. I ask the service attendant to confirm if my meal comes with a tea or coffee and I tell him I want to get one for the old lady across from me. The service attendant says no, shook his head at me like I was doing something wrong, and I could swear that he winked at me (I've had him on at least 20 trains so he knows me). The old lady pays for her tea. The service manager who was standing right behind the cart the whole time and somehow didn't hear a word I just said, offered me a coffee or tea. I really want to know, do the $15 meal trays in economy come with coffee or tea after the meal with a drink with the meal? Also, do service attendants get commission?

P.S. the porchetta was great, liked the turkey cranberry, and wild rice more though.

View attachment 212097
Probably not going to happen, but I really wish the new trains came with seatback screens like airlines and we were able to order and pay from the seat and just have the attendant serve the food. Would vastly improve service speed and quality.

Last edited: