News   Jul 12, 2024
 953     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 834     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 338     0 

VIA Rail

Agreed on keeping the Canadian and Ocean. I think calls to reduce the national routes are unfortunate to begin with and it is unrealistic to think that the federal government will cut routes and replace them with regional equivalents. Ideally we should have both so that those who need to travel to locations not covered by a regional service do not need to make multiple transfers. Why should someone who wants to go from Vancouver to Winnipeg be forced on to 2-3 different services when we could just continue running a long-distance service? Plus, for all the complaining about costs, the long-haul routes are minuscule parts of the budget. We should see the existing Via network as the absolute bare minimum to be built upon, not cut any further.

Rarely does a person travel from a to b as a commuter so it would make no sense to continue using it primarily for that purpose.
The great thing about this time and age is that you can easily verify claims by locating the right publicly accessible sources on the internet - in this case VIA Rail's most recent Annual Report. Maybe someone here finds a way to calculate the number of passenger miles for the Canadian and the Ocean and divides the passenger figure by it... ;)

upload_2018-4-2_20-35-14.png

Imo they should discontinue the Canadian and ocean as regular long haul routes. They should instead use them for seasonal tourist routes only and introduce more regional routes.
I feel they should make those routes daily, both directions.

I feel also that the route in ON needs to be changed to go through SSM and Thunder Bay.

They should also add a route that goes through Calgary and Regina between Winnipeg and Vancouver.
I'm a big believer in keeping the the Canadian and Ocean, and a believer that restoring these frequencies to 6 days a week.
Agreed on keeping the Canadian and Ocean. I think calls to reduce the national routes are unfortunate to begin with and it is unrealistic to think that the federal government will cut routes and replace them with regional equivalents. Ideally we should have both so that those who need to travel to locations not covered by a regional service do not need to make multiple transfers. Why should someone who wants to go from Vancouver to Winnipeg be forced on to 2-3 different services when we could just continue running a long-distance service? Plus, for all the complaining about costs, the long-haul routes are minuscule parts of the budget. We should see the existing Via network as the absolute bare minimum to be built upon, not cut any further.
Agreed. The Canadian should be protected.

Would like to see some restoration of service, and new services - specifically regional ones (i.e. Calgary-Edmonton).
If you would love to help shaping the future of your countries' long-distance passenger rail services, here is probably your best chance:
Senior Planner, Network Planning and Scheduling
Reference Number : 25075_032018
Job Category : Finance and Accounting
City : MONTREAL
Province : Quebec
Annual Salary / hourly Rate : 79 956$ - 94 948$
Number of positions to be filled : 1
Application Deadline : 2018-04-06

Description:
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Network Planning & Scheduling, the Senior Planner is responsible for the development of medium- and long-term strategies to optimize train schedules for longhaul and regional trains, to attain corporate objectives and maximize profitability.

- On a seasonal basis, reviews VIA routes, frequencies and scheduled departure/arrival times. Develops recommendations on current network and new markets. Identifies network development opportunities (new routes, stops, frequencies and capacity) based on profitability, trends, market studies and competitive landscape. Helps short-term team to calibrate capacity between peak and non-peak season.

- Runs diagnostics, various scenarios and builds business cases to recommend scheduled-based changes aimed at increasing profitability. Collaborates with other departments on long-term strategic projects that require Network Planning expertise. Challenges the status quo and current processes. Adopts innovative approaches to procedures and modelling (e.g. demand forecast). Leads or participates in cross-functional projects related to the development of VIA’s network.

- Builds communication plan to outline and obtain approval for implementation of schedule changes by key internal stakeholders. Maintains close communication channels with key stakeholders to obtain required input into network planning processes. Assists with negotiations with external stakeholders. Ensures the transition of a schedule/capacity plan between long-term and short-term planning teams.

- Assists with the development of tools, dashboards and reports. Provides data related to Network Planning and provides input into VIA’s annual budget. Coordinates with the other Network Planning Planners to ensure global network and fleet optimization.

Requirements:
• University degree in Finance, Statistics, Economics, and/or equivalent work experience.
• Minimum of 10 years of experience in network planning or revenue management, or related field.
• Bilingual (French and English)
• Solid experience related to market analysis and forecasting.
• Good understanding of VIA's network, Operations, Maintenance and fleet an asset.
• Working knowledge of MS suite, with strong presentation / communication skills.
• Highly analytical and logical in approach.
• Ability to translate strategic direction into schedule and strong insights. Core scheduling experience in the transportation industry an asset.
• Strong technical knowledge and capabilities; ability to leverage technology to create a positive impact.
• Creativity in problem-solving; resourcefulness; can easily make connections among previously unrelated notions.
• Ability to bring a creative and innovative approach to business and ability to interpret and communicate results of complex data.
• Ability to build effective and constructive relationships.
• Quick learner and self-starter who has the ability to work both independently and within a team environment. Deadline oriented and has a strong commitment to quality and accuracy.
[...]
Hurry up, you only got until Friday! :)

I'm a big believer in keeping the the Canadian and Ocean, and a believer that restoring these frequencies to 6 days a week.

As urbanites, it is easy to say "fund only the profitable routes", but we forget that lots of people, specifically Aboriginal communities, use the Canadian (and Ocean) to access services in smaller regional hubs. I had first hand experience with this while riding the Canadian as part of a 28-day canoe trip. The majority of riders seemed to be using it for utilitarian purposes. I also believe that ending the Canadian would be a failure in nation-building, as it was steel ribbons that tied our nation together.

Glad to see talk of a new long-haul fleet, or at least replacing part of it. I'd assume the dome cars would stay, as well as recently upgraded long-haul sleepers.
I really love your taking ownership of your countries' heritage! I took the Canadian in 2015 with my wife (end-to-end in Cabin for two with a stopover in Jasper) and it's a unique way of grasping at least some understanding of this countries' vast and mostly inaccessible geography. This reminds me of a quote I came across while researching for my Bachelor Thesis: "Europe developed its railroads, railroads developed America." Also, I agree that there is certainly more we can do for the people who's ancestors' arrival predates the one of our own ancestors (or of myself!) by a few millennia...

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-2_20-35-14.png
    upload_2018-4-2_20-35-14.png
    167.5 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Well, it looks like long-haul services are here to stay. Announcement tomorrow:

Media Advisory - VIA Rail will announce investment for train car renovation

MONTREAL, April 2, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - VIA Rail President and Chief Executive Officer Yves Desjardins-Siciliano will join the Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport; the Chairperson of the Board of Directors of VIA Rail, Françoise Bertrand; the Vice President, Corporate Strategy, Bombardier Inc., Sylvain Lévesque; and the Chief Operations Officer, Bombardier Transportation, Americas, David Van der Wee, to announce an investment for the renovation of a part of VIA Rail's long-haul fleet.

Does anyone have 5 year trend or 10 year?
In all fairness just because they've always done something for a long time doesn't mean it's being done right, especially in today's age where our dollars need to be ever more carefully spent. As I mentioned earlier you can keep the Canadian but use it for tourist introduce more regional services. Unless they have more dedicated track the reliability of the train is scattered And patchy. I'm sure via can figure out which segment of the Canadian and ocean are used more as commuter or critical travel and they can introduce regional service there.

I get the whole heritage and nostalgia bit but as a revenue agency and crown corporation you cant just keep on dumping money on a non profitable product without considering on how to optimize it for the current times.

Well, it looks like long-haul services are here to stay. Announcement tomorrow:

Media Advisory - VIA Rail will announce investment for train car renovation

MONTREAL, April 2, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - VIA Rail President and Chief Executive Officer Yves Desjardins-Siciliano will join the Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport; the Chairperson of the Board of Directors of VIA Rail, Françoise Bertrand; the Vice President, Corporate Strategy, Bombardier Inc., Sylvain Lévesque; and the Chief Operations Officer, Bombardier Transportation, Americas, David Van der Wee, to announce an investment for the renovation of a part of VIA Rail's long-haul fleet.

Typical Canadian equipment strategy
Use it and patch it up until it falls completely apart and then dump more money to patch it up some more until it gets unloaded onto the next govt

If they want to keep the Canadian and ocean relevant for the 21st century instead of it being seen as a heritage tourist train it must be brought up to 21st century standards. Using 60+ yr old equipment for our flagship services just makes us look cheap and old fashioned

If they want to keep the Canadian and ocean relevant for the 21st century instead of it being seen as a heritage tourist train it must be brought up to 21st century standards. Using 60+ yr old equipment for our flagship services just makes us look cheap and old fashioned

Wait 40 more years and it'll be a premium antique service.

As I mentioned earlier you can keep the Canadian but use it for tourist introduce more regional services. Unless they have more dedicated track the reliability of the train is scattered And patchy. I'm sure via can figure out which segment of the Canadian and ocean are used more as commuter or critical travel and they can introduce regional service there.

I get the whole heritage and nostalgia bit but as a revenue agency and crown corporation you cant just keep on dumping money on a non profitable product without considering on how to optimize it for the current times.
Regarding the Ocean, I refer to this and more recent news articles: http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1321579-taylor-via-looks-at-expanding-atlantic-service

Regarding the Canadian, I invite you to go to the link below, play around with the departure date in the URL and tell me which segments of the Canadian's route have travel times which can compete with other available intercity transport options:
http://reservia.viarail.ca/tsi/GetT...siTrainNumber=2-&TrainInstanceDate=2018-03-30

I also believe that ending the Canadian would be a failure in nation-building, as it was steel ribbons that tied our nation together.
As a nation, there are only a few things that historically bound this nation together, and still do. CBC/Radio Canada is one (in whatever form that evolves to), and another is of course the railway. Even more than the US, more than almost any other medium to large nation. "From Sea to Shining Sea".

And in some form *even running at a loss*, The Canadian remains an icon tying this nation together. I do think the frequency must reflect demand and use, however, but the Canadian must continue running. And as best it can.

Regarding the Ocean, I refer to this and more recent news articles: http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1321579-taylor-via-looks-at-expanding-atlantic-service

Regarding the Canadian, I invite you to go to the link below, play around with the departure date in the URL and tell me which segments of the Canadian's route have travel times which can compete with other available intercity transport options:
http://reservia.viarail.ca/tsi/GetT...siTrainNumber=2-&TrainInstanceDate=2018-03-30

how can one justify a flagship train being over 1/2 day late? even if you increase service they will still all be late by the same intervals because its the freight trains and the sheer length of the route that makes acceptable adherance to the schedule virtually impossible.
the benifits of taking the train as advertised by via is that it can get you from a to b faster than most land modes and on time. the canadian is neither. what can it do to improve its product as advertised? there are communitieswho rely on the canadian as their primary mode of transport and mail. how can you expect them to wait 1/2 a day longer just to catch a ride to the nearest city?

how can one justify a flagship train being over 1/2 day late? even if you increase service they will still all be late by the same intervals because its the freight trains and the sheer length of the route that makes acceptable adherance to the schedule virtually impossible.
the benifits of taking the train as advertised by via is that it can get you from a to b faster than most land modes and on time. the canadian is neither. what can it do to improve its product as advertised? there are communitieswho rely on the canadian as their primary mode of transport and mail. how can you expect them to wait 1/2 a day longer just to catch a ride to the nearest city?

I have always thought that the trains should terminate in Winnipeg. Have the trains go opposite directions every day, but 12 hours apart. That would mean that the trains are not chasing the late schedule for the whole run.

The schedule is perfectly feasible even with current freight traffic levels:
http://reservia.viarail.ca/tsi/GetT...siTrainNumber=2-&TrainInstanceDate=2018-02-27
However, you just have to have the "right" people on board:
http://cs.trains.com/trn/b/fred-frailey/archive/2018/02/26/bon-voyage-moonlighters.aspx

Thankfully, the situation has also become untenable for CN (remember that even though CN trains have outgrown most sidings, the Canadian still fits in all of them and therefore still operates much faster than CN's own freight trains) and motivated them to promise to invest $250 millions into the rail infrastructure in the Prairies by the end of this year, which should greatly benefit the Canadian:
New CEO: CN will immediately improve movement of Western Canadian grain
MONTREAL, March 07, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- CN (TSX:CNR) (NYSE:CNI) Interim President and Chief Executive Officer JJ Ruest said the company will quickly improve the movement of Western Canadian grain and is directing additional people and equipment to clear backlogs across its network.

“We apologize for not meeting the expectations of our grain customers, nor our own high standards,” Ruest said. “The entire CN team has a sense of urgency and is fully focused on getting it right for farmers and our grain customers, regaining the confidence of Canadian businesses, and protecting Canada’s reputation as a stable trade partner in world markets.

“Moving the Canadian economy is in our DNA. We can and we will do much better, and that starts today – no excuses,” Ruest continued. “CN has taken immediate steps to mobilize our proud and dedicated team of railroaders – the best in the business – in order to move more grain faster.”

These steps include:

• Offering incentives for key operating employees to delay retirement and postpone vacations, and for recently-retired operating employees to return to work
  • Deploying qualified management employees to operate extra trains
  • Adding train crews in Western Canada: about 250 conductors put in the field in last three months of 2017, with about 400 conductors coming into the field in the first three months of 2018, and an additional 375 from April to June
  • Leased 130 locomotives to increase capacity in Western Canada, almost all of which are now online
  • Investing over $250 million this year to build new track and yard capacity in Western Canada to boost supply chain fluidity and build in capacity resiliency for future grain crops
CN delivered 4,577 empty hopper cars last week, up 35 percent from the February average of 3,400. All available hopper cars are in service and we will show sequential weekly improvements progressing towards 5,000 per week by the end of March.

“Canadians can count on CN to get this job done and to get it done safely, reliably and efficiently,” Ruest said. “We will provide regular weekly tracking on our grain movements and engage our grain customers. We also encourage Parliament to pass Bill C-49 swiftly.”

CN is a true backbone of the economy whose team of approximately 24,000 railroaders transports more than C$250 billion worth of goods annually for a wide range of business sectors, ranging from resource products to manufactured products to consumer goods, across a rail network of approximately 20,000 route-miles spanning Canada and mid-America. CN – Canadian National Railway Company, along with its operating railway subsidiaries – serves the cities and ports of Vancouver, Prince Rupert, B.C., Montreal, Halifax, New Orleans, and Mobile, Ala., and the metropolitan areas of Toronto, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Chicago, Memphis, Detroit, Duluth, Minn./Superior, Wis., and Jackson, Miss., with connections to all points in North America. For more information about CN, visit the Company’s website at www.cn.ca.
https://www.cn.ca/en/news/2018/03/new-ceo-cn-will-immediately-improve-movement-of-western-canadian

Also, some people here seem to believe that the Canadian is among the worst performers in the VIA network. A quick glance at the most recent Annual Report (combined with a simple division), however, reveals the following:
upload_2018-4-3_8-30-22.png

Note: 2016 figures, in Thousands.

Note also the change over the last years:
ut-20170102-via-rail-crr-2013-2015-jpg.94967

Note: originally posted elsewhere on this Forum

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-3_8-30-22.png
    upload_2018-4-3_8-30-22.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
I am writing this message while on The Canadian, we are currently about 14 hours late on our journey to Toronto.

Most of the delay we experience is due to traffic between Jasper and Winnipeg. We had to wait for 14 freight trains to pass just before Melville, Saskatchewan, a pleasant 6 hours stall.

I still have trouble understanding the absence of double track between Edmonton and Winnipeg. The traffic is intense.

Overall, the experience is more than pleasant. The crews are nice, the other passengers are interesting, the scenery is gorgeous and my cabin for 1 in a renovated Manor is more than adequate. It’s not the prestige class, more than enough.

The schedule is perfectly feasible even with current freight traffic levels:
http://reservia.viarail.ca/tsi/GetT...siTrainNumber=2-&TrainInstanceDate=2018-02-27
However, you just have to have the "right" people on board:
http://cs.trains.com/trn/b/fred-frailey/archive/2018/02/26/bon-voyage-moonlighters.aspx

The Moonlighter exercise is an interesting case study. VIA kept that particular No 2 on schedule right across the country. CN was so concerned with its image (both CN and VIA were given a list of who was going to be on board) that it also kept the westbound No 1 on schedule, so that the daylight meet between the two trains would happen in just the right spot in Saskatchewan.... precision railroading, right? Once No 1 had pulled off its on-time meet and disappeared from the Moonlighters' view, it virtually stood still.... by Jasper it was 14 hours late. It did indeed leave a congealed railroad behind it.

CN has objectively provable issues with its prairie and mountain capacity and investment is the answer. The question is, to what degree VIA ought to be able to benefit from that investment (which is coming from shareholders, not government). The Harrison/Tellier/Ackman mentality of restricting rail capacity below demand, to drive up prices and drive away marginal customers, is pretty close to predatory pricing and needs to be outlawed. If CN had sufficient reserve capacity to serve all potential freight customers, there would be a cushion of spare capacity that VIA could reasonably use. Three or four trains a week each way should not unduly burden the shareholders if the railway is sized right.

Folks who have ridden the Canadian lately have commented that the equipment is starting to look ratty inside. There is literally duct tape being used to patch a few things together. I'm good with the government spending money to keep this train rolling. It is a damn good customer experience, and it does have both tourism and national identity value, for which the cost is not unreasonable.

- Paul

PS - I counted. In 2009, CN had 77.5 miles of double track between Winnipeg and Edmonton, plus 46 "long" (10,000 feeet+) sidings and 17 short sidings. Today they have 141 miles of double track, plus 42 long sidings and 11 short sidings. So they have grown, just not fast enough for demand.

Back