News   Jul 12, 2024
 954     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 834     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 339     0 

VIA Rail

VIA Rail to Peterborough - The most concrete evidence I've seen yet. This kinda sounds like VIA HFR due to mention of P3.

Leal says Via Rail interested in restoring service in Peterborough area
Peterborough Examiner - http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer....-landscaping-at-former-peterborough-jail-site

Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs Minister and Peterborough MPP Jeff Leal was on hand at Wednesday's council meeting to provide brief updates on the 2016 provincial budget and Shining Waters Railway, among other topics.

He met with Via Rail officials last week, who are “very interested” in both passenger and freight service in the Toronto and Peterborough areas, he said. A potential public-private partnership could see the company taking and building on the work done by the Shining Waters Railway group.

Leal said he could say little more because of commercial confidentiality agreements.

Gerow encouraged more transparency regarding the project, noting the planned expansion of Nephton's Unimin Canada plant, which relies on freight rail through Havelock-Belmont-Methuen Township. “Let's talk about it and get it done.”

Coun. Scott McFadden, a former county representative on the railway committee, said the public wants to learn what will happen with the deteriorating railway bridge over County Rd. 10 in Cavan Monaghan Township, for example. “Everyone is asking about it.”

Leal said the province has said as much as it can and has funded studies, adding the project has a “four-year window of obsolescence.”
As for the budget, the province made changes based on input like that the minister of agriculture, food and rural affairs has gleaned from talks with locals, he said.

Alex: Very interesting, good find, but the writing leaves a lot to be desired.
[...]He met with Via Rail officials last week, who are “very interested” in both passenger and freight service in the Toronto and Peterborough areas, he said. *A potential public-private partnership could see the company taking and building on the work done by the Shining Waters Railway group.*

Leal said he could say little more because of commercial confidentiality agreements.[...]

*A potential public-private partnership could see the company taking and building on the work done by the Shining Waters Railway group.*
Is the author's insertion, and not qualified by anything Leal states. I'd be a bit upset if I were Leal if what was quoted on "transparency" is to have basis.

I'll dig to see if I can find any other stories on Leal's statements or VIA releases.

Attached are the invitations for VIA's "market day" on July 21st, 2016 for vendors who were interested in supplying for VIA's new corridor fleet. I would have loved to be there.

dyx6MYE.jpg

yZZeErU.jpg

I don't think we have yet to discussed VIA's 2016-2020 Corporate Plan, found here: https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/fi...n/Summary of the 2016-2020 Corporate Plan.pdf

I've highlighted a few things but I encourage everyone to take a look at the plan and post anything else of interest.

Here are some highlights:

5 year Service Plan in the "Corridor Network":
tzICkqF.png

Plan to reduce subsidies in the Corridor: (note VIA's desire to buy the CN/GEXR line from Kitchener to London)

jDFzsyq.png

More details on fleet renewal:

MoYi0KC.png

VIA ownership of Corridor rail lines:

YfD5AVz.png

I'm not sure I understand that figure. When they mention Stratford-Toronto, do they mean a train terminating/starting in Stratford or that one of the London-Toronto trains via the north corridor would stop in Stratford? I suspect the former as I'm pretty sure Stratford presently gets service on that corridor, but it seems really surprising to me that VIA would terminate service in Stratford. I also didn't realize that Ottawa-Toronto had more service than Toronto-Montreal.

It's a bit confusing, but I think what the figure shows is that there is currently 1 London↔Toronto and 1 Sarnia↔Toronto train on the north line through Stratford; but no trains that terminate in Stratford. So Stratford gets two trains a day.

Then in year 1, it would be 2 London↔Toronto trains and 1 Stratford↔Toronto trains - so 3 trains stopping in Stratford (and Kitchener) per day (no direct Sarnia↔Stratford service); but an increase of 1. By year 5, it would be 3 Stratford↔Toronto trains and 2 London↔Toronto trains - so 5 trains a day from Stratford↔Toronto - essentially reversing the Mulroney cuts.

It looks like VIA is refining the cost of the HFR project, or has expanded its scope. Check out the new dedicated tracks infographic, versus their old one.

A few things to note:
  • Overall price is up $1.5 billion (breakdown is in the infographics)
  • Timeline is now 5 years, not 4
  • Ridership is up from 6.1 million to 7.2 million
  • New infograpic doesn't mention "Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal" corridor, making me wonder if project scope has been expanded (Quebec City? London?)

New:
2kRRenm.png

Old:
CfaIx8QUIAAXMX9.jpg:large

I think it is valid to assume that the new dedicated track project includes either Qc City+London+Windsor or some sort of combination. I tend to believe Qc City is included and not London.
Looking at the 2015 annual report, there were 2,18 M passengers between Mtl-Ott-Tor and 0,45 M between Qc-Mtl-Ott with a total of 2.6M in the Eatern Corridor.
VIA transported .9 M passengers between Tor-London-Sarnia-Windsor. It would add up to slighty more...
See page 11 of the report : http://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/fil...reports/2015/ViaRail_AnnualReport_2015_EN.pdf

Could that additional infrastructure money be used for the link between Qc-City and Montreal ? Maybe...

Very, very telling is that historical subsidy in the past is $222M instead of $120M so it is definitely much more than just the T-O-M corridor (Since that's only $120M of the $222M)

Sounds like VIA HFR just recently expanded their scope!

Let's say Federal funds Windsor-to-Kitchener, and Oshawa-to-Ottawa-to-Montreal, and Provincial/Metrolinx funds Kitchener-to-Oshawa, maybe?
Though it sounds like electrification all the way to Quebec City instead.

Last edited:
Very, very telling is that historical subsidy in the past is $222M instead of $120M so it is definitely much more than just the T-O-M corridor (Since that's only $120M of the $222M)

Sounds like VIA HFR just recently expanded their scope!

Let's say Federal funds Windsor-to-Kitchener, and Oshawa-to-Ottawa-to-Montreal, and Provincial/Metrolinx funds Kitchener-to-Oshawa, maybe?
Though it sounds like electrification all the way to Quebec City instead.

I don't think that VIA would expand the dedicated tracks/HFR program without the feds asking them to - they MUST at this point be coordinating with them and wouldn't just expand an unfunded project for fun. I am excited to see more details of this project.

A bit of Googling "en français" found this article. Seems Quebecois media has reported a few times the HFR is going to Quebec City.

Pont de Québec : pas de rencontre d’ici le 30 juin
Radio-Canada - June 27th, 2016 - http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/...-quebec-joel-lightbound-bilan-rencontre.shtml

(Only relevant section translated via Google)

Folders advancing:

The deputy (MP Joël Lightbound) recalled that his government made the announcement of a US pre-clearance center for the Quebec City airport and it funds a study on the feasibility of the rail project high frequency of VIA Rail , which includes the capital. "This is a folder on which I will continue to argue that it is important , if there is a high frequency trains to go to Quebec. "

I don't think that VIA would expand the dedicated tracks/HFR program without the feds asking them to - they MUST at this point be coordinating with them and wouldn't just expand an unfunded project for fun. I am excited to see more details of this project.

I am very optimistic too. I just don't want this project to turn into another VIAFAST
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ViaFast

Interesting that they propose to head back into Niagara, considering GO's ambitions there too.

I agree its a bit surprising, but the GO service will require passengers to switch trains in Hamilton to get to Toronto, and will be much slower than VIA. I bet VIA is banking on being a faster and a more "express" service, and will also enjoy upgraded infrastructure on the corridor from GO becoming more active there.

Back