News   Jul 12, 2024
 904     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 811     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 334     0 

VIA Rail

And now for something completely different:
[...][He said VIA’s unsolicited proposal for a service that would run from Windsor Junction to downtown Halifax will be presented to HRM’s transportation standing committee next Thursday.

It would then go to Regional Council for approval, and from there, Outhit hopes, be approved so staff can enter into negotiations with VIA.

“They (VIA Rail) would definitely like to discuss with us the possibility of running a commuter rail service for us, several times a day into downtown and out, and maybe some mid-day service as well at substantially less cost than was anticipated by the recent (Commuter Rail Feasability) Study,” Outhit said.

Although he couldn’t get into specifics, Outhit said if it went ahead, the commuter service would likely include the same seven stops proposed in the recent commuter rail study undertaken by the municipality.

If approved, he believes the service could be up in running in a year or less.

“It’s exciting because these folks know how to run a railroad and we’ve been looking for a partner,” he said.

In addition to helping resolve some of the traffic issues facing residents in his district, Outhit said the commuter rail plan would benefit other suburban residents in addition to businesses in the downtown core.

“It’s great that we have all these nice new buildings and businesses (downtown) and I support that. But with all of this construction going on there, unless we make it easier for people to get there, they’re of no help if they’re empty,” he said.

“This would be beneficial for people stuck in traffic from Fall River to Clayton Park, and beneficial for the downtown by getting more people down there to shop and play and to work.”]
http://www.metronews.ca/news/halifa...commuter-rail-via-eyeing-service-for-hrm.html

http://futurism.com/this-new-high-speed-rail-is-set-to-transform-how-we-travel/

I wonder if this concept can apply to this.....if so we wont have to rely on prov and fed spending as much...
I wonder if this concept can even apply to Australia: Replacing a project which repeatedly failed due to its multi-billion price tag with a project of many times its financial scale does not appear to me as the most intuitive and promissing approach, as much as I would like any HSR project in Australia to succeed. In any case, if you want to eliminate your reliance on governmental funding sources, you need to find private investors instead and convince them to commit to the substantial financial burden and risks of undertaking a large-scale infrastructure project which takes many years to run through all the planning, approval and construction stages before generating any revenue streams...

Right. Of course you already know the answer Steve. Why should I dare question what you write.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
All you have to do to make a case, Mr Spy, is post some reference.

That you inserted "Many lines of extraneous and superfluous text removed" as my quote speaks volumes about your mode of operation.

Last edited:
All you have to do to make a case, Mr Spy, is post some reference.

That you inserted "Many lines of extraneous and superfluous text removed" as my quote speaks volumes about your mode of operation.

Yup we all know that despite this gentleman's vast array of knowledge, he sure can be an arrogant dick sometimes......

Yup we all know that despite this gentleman's vast array of knowledge, he sure can be an arrogant dick sometimes......

There's an ignore list for a reason. He's ended up on the ignore list of a few members on here. The more, the merrier. The goal with members like him, is to ensure that in the end he's only talking to himself. And given his posts, it seems to be that, this is the audience he enjoys the most.

Well Mr Keithz, seems you're not exactly the winner of population contests yourself, as reflected in the number of likes received to your posts. For someone with a ratio of less than 30:1 compared to my 4:1, your claim is not only moot, it's ridiculous. Have someone tell you to have a "nice day". In person, I'd tell you something else, but perhaps a modicum of civility is what's missing in these forums?

Well Mr Keithz, seems you're not exactly the winner of population contests yourself, as reflected in the number of likes received to your posts. For someone with a ratio of less than 30:1 compared to my 4:1, your claim is not only moot, it's ridiculous. Have someone tell you to have a "nice day". In person, I'd tell you something else, but perhaps a modicum of civility is what's missing in these forums?

If any UT member has a problem, please contact the mods, rather than dishing it out on the forum.

If any UT member has a problem, please contact the mods, rather than dishing it out on the forum.

Sean,

You've gotta plenty of evidence here. Heck, I've been disciplined for less. But, whatever, this thread is just one I read a little less now since it got hijacked by a particularly sanctimonious member.

Hey genius. You do realize that we didn't have "likes" for most of the 8 years I was part of this forum before you joined. And dare I say, this forum was actually far more civil before random social metrics became the standard for measuring contribution.

The idea of commuter rail in Halifax makes me wonder if this is the thinking about fleet evolution:

Next gen fleet - Corridor higher speed services
HEP2 - retired
P42s and LRCs - Kingston commuter, maybe Kitchener line, surge corridor services around holidays
F40s - split between Western longhaul, East Coast long/short haul services and Jonquiere/Senneterre
Renaissance - sleepers on Ocean, corridor stock on Halifax/Moncton services

Is Halifax even contemplating commuter rail? From my time out there, I'd argue that simply good commuter bus service would be a good start. Or better yet, LRT along the Bedford Highway to Massachusetts to Robie all the way to the universities.

Last edited:

Back