News   Apr 26, 2024
 463     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 204     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 669     0 

VIA Rail

1648836768257.png

Edit (2022/04/01): corrected incorrect mileage for TRTO-WDON, which showed 17,591 rather than 15,078 km for the most recent schedule, resulting in an overall figure of 67.1% rather than 65.6% of pre-Covid mileage for the entire Corridor.

I've posted above table in the GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions) thread, showing the evolution of VIA's Corridor services throughout the pandemic, to which @Allandale25 asked the following question:
^ very helpful chart.

Just out of curiosity why did this pre-covid-19 decrease happen? I'm sure it was discussed here at the time but I can't remember.

The decrease in corridor mileage as of 2019-12-01 resulted from train 69 terminating in Toronto rather than Aldershot (56 km * 6 days/week = 336 timetable-km per week):

Timetable valid as from 2019/06/02 to 2019/11/30
1645634833523.png

Timetable valid from 2019-12-01 until 2020-03-16
1645634976604.png

Last edited:
^ I was reminded off-line that there was in fact a HFR FOI request, which VIA refused to comply with, despite an order from the Information Commissioner. Maybe by mid 2021, VIA said.....

- Paul

^ Another aspect of the ruling:

Although recent amendments to the Act authorize me to order the disclosure of records, this is only with respect to complaints received as of June 21, 2019. As this complaint was received prior to that date, I unfortunately have no authority to order that VIA Rail respond to the request by a specified date. Having made my recommendations to VIA Rail, I must conclude my investigation as I have exhausted my jurisdiction under the Act.

[/endquote]

Just a thought but why does it take the Canadian 9 hours to travel from Sudbury to Toronto? And 4 hours from Parry Sound to Toronto?

Is the schedule just really padded to allow for delays?

Sudbury Jct
Sudbury, ON 10 Km from Sudbury Jct., ON (no shuttle service)
04:49Unavailable data-Unavailable data-Unavailable data-
Parry Sound08:42Unavailable data-Unavailable data-Unavailable data-
Washago10:59Unavailable data-Unavailable data-Unavailable data-
Toronto Union Station train station
Shuttle service runs between the station and the airport.
14:29

When I took #2 in April 2019, our delay melted down at a rate of almost exactly 1 minute per mile while racing along the Bala Sub...
It would be really cool if they could wrap an F40 in the original paint scheme. I would love to see what that looks like or the Blue paint scheme that the FP9 and F9's had.

It would be really cool if they could wrap an F40 in the original paint scheme. I would love to see what that looks like or the Blue paint scheme that the FP9 and F9's had.
I neither see what the link is between your suggestion and my post nor what the motivation for such heritage paint schemes would be…

I neither see what the link is between your suggestion and my post nor what the motivation for such heritage paint schemes would be…

I can understand why passenger rail advocacy is so ineffective, when so many enthusiasts are more interested in simply “bringing back the Cannonball” rather than looking to opportunities for the future or interpreting the message that a railway or operator is trying to send out and helping them get it out there. The fans (and I include some of the lobbying folks in that group) put out a message that is completely unhelpful and mostly speaks to how things have gone to hell and nobody does it right any more. (which may be true, but it doesn’t help to get stuck there…)

Retro branding has its place when an entity wants people to reflect on its past and put it in the context of things current and future. Reminding people of the worst of VIA’s beginnings while rolling out a game changing new fleet and advocating for dedicated infrastructure would be utterly stupid corporate strategy….. and all so a small group of foamers get a thrill? Sure says something about the immaturity of railfans as a community and interest group.

I would love to see a VIA locomotive running in a heritage scheme….. to Elmira, or Port Stanley, or Uxbridge, or Inkster Jct, or Stettler….but not on the main line. The new fleet in its new image is the classic eyecatcher centrepiece that Canadians should be noticing right now.

- Paul

Last edited:
GIMP is a free alternative to Photoshop.

Back