News   Jul 12, 2024
 915     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 817     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 334     0 

VIA Rail

View attachment 350384
I really dislike that the single seats are not directly at the window.
If you're riding in business, you're doing it cause you want to work/eat/drink. You can't do that if your head is rested against the window, and you're asleep (that's what economy class is for).

Edit: also it's a good storage space for backpacks, briefcases, purses, etc.

If you're riding in business, you're doing it cause you want to work/eat/drink. You can't do that if your head is rested against the window, and you're asleep (that's what economy class is for).

Edit: also it's a good storage space for backpacks, briefcases, purses, etc.
Euhhh, the double seats in business have a seat directly next to the window... I would have just switched the storage area and seat.

Still a minority government. Difficult to get anything passed in the house.

Any of the progressive stuff can easily be passed with NDP support; that's a simple and easy test of whether the Liberals were serious in the 1st place.

The NDP certainly won't oppose any transit or VIA-related capital spending either.

Not that difficult to get stuff through; just an excuse, if you didn't want to bother in the first place.

Any of the progressive stuff can easily be passed with NDP support; that's a simple and easy test of whether the Liberals were serious in the 1st place.

The NDP certainly won't oppose any transit or VIA-related capital spending either.

Not that difficult to get stuff through; just an excuse, if you didn't want to bother in the first place.

Debatable. I wouldn't put it past the NDP to put poison pills in counter-proposals just to make the Liberals look bad.

And since the NDP is bigger on performative progressivism than policy, it suits them just fine if not everything goes through.

I'm thinking of their climate plan which was rated specifically lower by every major Canadian climate policy expert. Some ratings lower than the CPC. And that was a specific result of being high on ambition. And very light on policy. I can see them refusing to pass Liberal climate legislation citing a lack of ambition.

Debatable. I wouldn't put it past the NDP to put poison pills in counter-proposals just to make the Liberals look bad.

And since the NDP is bigger on performative progressivism than policy, it suits them just fine if not everything goes through.

I'm thinking of their climate plan which was rated specifically lower by every major Canadian climate policy expert. Some ratings lower than the CPC. And that was a specific result of being high on ambition. And very light on policy. I can see them refusing to pass Liberal climate legislation citing a lack of ambition.

Maybe, but given VIA is unionized they might be a bit less reluctant to directly mess with it on its' own.

AoD

Maybe, but given VIA is unionized they might be a bit less reluctant to directly mess with it on its' own.

AoD

We'll see. I can easily see them demanding HSR or zero private sector involvement or some such. And then they run out the clock till the next election. Given how policy light they were and their leader's effort to paint the LPC as exactly as the same as the CPC, I'm suspicious that they work in good faith.

We'll see. I can easily see them demanding HSR or zero private sector involvement or some such. And then they run out the clock till the next election. Given how policy light they were and their leader's effort to paint the LPC as exactly as the same as the CPC, I'm suspicious that they work in good faith.

That I can see - but I don't see how the Liberals will go for a BOT scheme with HFR given it's a VIA project. It's bit of a molehill for anyone to die on.

AoD

Presuming that the Liberals’ pre-election budget now stands as read, I wonder whether the $490M that was committed for HFR prep will now get spent, and on what.

- Paul
Finalizing the right of way between Smiths Falls and Toronto Union and right of way acquisition? Seems to me the next steps.

Back