News   Jul 12, 2024
 912     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 815     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 334     0 

VIA Rail

It's very hard to guarantee that a locomotive would be delivered on time for any announcement. Beyond that, a minister posing with a locomotive isn't going to win many votes. Might even remind some Bombardier supporters about how Siemens won this contract and isn't building this in Canada. Really not worth all the risk for literally 2-3 days before the election.

I agree. The vast majority of Canadians don't care about trains. You are right that it could rub salt on the wounds in Quebec, which is considered a key battle ground and western Canadians won't care, because most won't ever get a chance to see, let alone ride on the new fleet, and it might play into feelings of western alienation. That means that there is only those in southern Ontario will care, and even then, most will be apathetic to the new fleet.

Looks like via is getting some very slow but cheaper competition between London and Toronto. Timings aren't very attractive with an early departure from London and a late return from Toronto and a 4 hour travel time end to end....

Looks like via is getting some very slow but cheaper competition between London and Toronto. Timings aren't very attractive with an early departure from London and a late return from Toronto and a 4 hour travel time end to end....

I'd assume the London-Toronto traffic would remain on VIA. The benefit here would be stuff like London to Kitchener traffic, and even Brampton. But like Kitchener/Toronto this service would also benefit from a morning train from Toronto to Kitchener, and points west.

I'd assume the London-Toronto traffic would remain on VIA. The benefit here would be stuff like London to Kitchener traffic, and even Brampton. But like Kitchener/Toronto this service would also benefit from a morning train from Toronto to Kitchener, and points west.
For those going from London to Toronto will most likely stick with VIA due to time saving, but its the points in between the 2 cities where it will be beneficial to riders to use GO in place of VIA. Once more GO service is added, it will open the door for more riders since they will have more opinions of choice for their travel needs than today as well think of not driving to/from Toronto/London.

For me, I would grab the train at Brampton than having to go to Oakville by local transit and GO which is faster than going into Toronto to get the train. Taking local transit to Brampton is faster than Oakville even with the changing of the bus. Now with the LRT went there like it should, it will be even faster.

Next time anyone is using VIA from London/Toronto/Windsor, watch to see how many riders are getting on/off at each station to see not everyone is going end to end. Same for Ottawa/Montreal

I think the press release specified that the train would leave London in the morning and return in the evening, but I was thinking that it would be nice if GO did the opposite to complement the existing Via schedule. That said, I don't think the morning schedule on the Guelph Subd allows for trains heading west until swarm of eastbound trains from 6:30-8:30 or so clears. I suppose this will resolve once some of the improvements they've been working on (tunnels under the 401 etc.) come online.

My disappointment with the travel time was largely because I did not realize how dismal the current speeds are for the current VIA train between London and Kitchener. I had through that it would take about one hour to make the journey without realizing that it seems to be at an average speed of ~60kph. No wonder the service is less popular than the Ottawa-Montreal-Toronto triangle!

Next time anyone is using VIA from London/Toronto/Windsor, watch to see how many riders are getting on/off at each station to see not everyone is going end to end. Same for Ottawa/Montreal

I've done this often while traveling between Ottawa and Montreal yet almost exclusively see 5 or fewer passengers embark/disembark and never more than 10. Doesn't mean that intermediary stops aren't important, but there also needs to be a balance with ideally a mix of fast and local trains. My ideal but likely unrealistic service pattern for HFR would be express trains that only stop in Montreal, Dorval, Ottawa, Peterborough, GTA East, and Toronto with timed crossplatform transfers to all-stops trains in Peterborough and Ottawa. Ofc this would require increased track capacity and likely won't be economically viable...

My disappointment with the travel time was largely because I did not realize how dismal the current speeds are for the current VIA train between London and Kitchener. I had through that it would take about one hour to make the journey without realizing that it seems to be at an average speed of ~60kph. No wonder the service is less popular than the Ottawa-Montreal-Toronto triangle!

I've done this often while traveling between Ottawa and Montreal yet almost exclusively see 5 or fewer passengers embark/disembark and never more than 10. Doesn't mean that intermediary stops aren't important, but there also needs to be a balance with ideally a mix of fast and local trains. My ideal but likely unrealistic service pattern for HFR would be express trains that only stop in Montreal, Dorval, Ottawa, Peterborough, GTA East, and Toronto with timed crossplatform transfers to all-stops trains in Peterborough and Ottawa. Ofc this would require increased track capacity and likely won't be economically viable...
Stops such as Belleville, Kingston and Brockville are very busy.

Trenton and Port Hope, not so much.

This is why there should be more local trains that stop at all of those stops to encourage people to travel from those in-between stops.

Also places like Brighton dont even have a stop, and it would help if people could use the train to Travel from Oshawa to Trenton or Trenton to Belleville.

No sure if anyone posted this already but the new fleet page now has updated interior renders of both classes (at bottom of page). Looks like there will be pods for business class!
Thought the seats themselves look like the same size and width throughout both classes... I was hoping for some sort of upgraded larger seat (apart from the mini tray table in between)

No sure if anyone posted this already but the new fleet page now has updated interior renders of both classes (at bottom of page). Looks like there will be pods for business class!
Thought the seats themselves look like the same size and width throughout both classes... I was hoping for some sort of upgraded larger seat (apart from the mini tray table in between)

Just bringing those interior pics forward, from the link above:

1631918829888.png

1631918855164.png

1631918871306.png

1631918892372.png

View attachment 350384
I really dislike that the single seats are not directly at the window.

I hadn't noticed that. It certainly seems odd to have such a large space. On the double seats there is a cup holder between the seats, so maybe there is a cup holder there and we can't see it from this perspective. It also might be a space to put a small bag.

It looks like the same module as between the double seats. Nicely standard, but not optimal placement for the sightseer, I agree.
I bet that placing it on the aisle side would be a snagging hazard, so not much choice unless the single seat passengers do without, and that’s probably evenless marketable..

- Paul

I unfortunately haven't had the chance to travel on board VIA for almost two years, but I struggle to see how this single-seat-with-table-in-front-of-the-window arrangement is any different from VIA's current Business Class configuration...

Back