News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 882     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 354     0 

VIA Rail

I hadn't realized there was an hourly commitment. Finally! This can't happen soon enough. The day I can decide on a whim I'm going to Montreal or Ottawa and can head straight to the station without looking at a clock, and not be price gouged for not planning a month in advance is the day we can say we have a real rail service.

I hadn't realized there was an hourly commitment. Finally! This can't happen soon enough. The day I can decide on a whim I'm going to Montreal or Ottawa and can head straight to the station without looking at a clock, and not be price gouged for not planning a month in advance is the day we can say we have a real rail service.

Agreed, for most of the time. There should be some periods (like friday/monday of long weekends) where many trains are full otherwise they've bought far too much rolling stock.

You are right and we don’t know how sincere the CPC was, but we do know how sincere the LPC is, given how much progress they have made on the file over the past 5 years. I guess better the devil you know than the devil you don’t. I figure now we will most likely have a fully costed plan in 4 years for the LPC to go to the polls for a mandate on.
When the venture sets are in service, will they be able to run at 100mph on class 5 track like the LRC's?

Would you procure a fleet which will only reach slower speeds in revenue operations compared to the fleet they replace?
We didn't they already backwards with the lrc vs the turbo train? 95mph max speed vs 170mph
Dedicated high speed train sets dumbed down to highish speed loco and coaches

Would you procure a fleet which will only reach slower speeds in revenue operations compared to the fleet they replace?

It’s not a question of if the new fleet is capable of traveling at 100mph (they are capable of travelling at 125 mph), but a question of if Transport Canada will grant the same exemption to the 95 mph speed limit of class 5 track for passenger trains that the LRC trains have.

Last edited:
It’s not a question of if the new fleet is capable of traveling at 100mph (they are capable of travelling at 125 mph), but a question of if Transport Canada will grant the same exemption to the 95 mph speed limit of class 5 track for passenger trains that the LRC trains have.

The ability to operate at a maximum speed of 100 mph over Class 5 tracks was the most essential requirement of the RFQ process:
The Applicant’s proposed solution will be evaluated based on the extent to which:
[...]
• the trainset can operate at 100 mph on Transport Canada Class 5 tracks, at 110 mph on FRA Class 6 tracks and at 125 mph on FRA Class 7 tracks;
[...]
A proposed solution that is not bi-directional or that cannot operate at 100 mph will receive 0 [out of 450 points] for this Section 3.1.
https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/About_VIA/new-fleet/VIA Rail_Corridor_Fleet_Renewal_Project_Request_for_Qualifications.pdf (p.7)

When the venture sets are in service, will they be able to run at 100mph on class 5 track like the LRC's?

While the assumption is "yes, they will be able to", it is also dependent on the results of track force testing once they get here.

That testing will determine exactly under which category - regular passenger line speed, or the enhanced LRC speed - they will be able to operate at.

(Don't forget too, that there are quite a few miles of track where all passenger cars are allowed a track speed of 100mph, not just the LRCs.)

Dan

While the assumption is "yes, they will be able to", it is also dependent on the results of track force testing once they get here.

That testing will determine exactly under which category - regular passenger line speed, or the enhanced LRC speed - they will be able to operate at.

(Don't forget too, that there are quite a few miles of track where all passenger cars are allowed a track speed of 100mph, not just the LRCs.)

Dan
I thought the BUDD cars are limited to 95mph?

I guess Ren cars are capable of 100mph but we don't have any in the corridor.

The maximum allowable speed is always the lowest of any speed limit which may apply to the movement of a particular consist and/or over a particular segment of track...

Also, the Renaissance cars have been back on the QMO since the last schedule increase on August 30:

Last edited:
We didn't they already backwards with the lrc vs the turbo train? 95mph max speed vs 170mph
Dedicated high speed train sets dumbed down to highish speed loco and coaches

The Turbo train never actually ran at 170mph in service. It could theoretically reach that speed, but it was limited to 100mph on the corridor.

The same goes for the LRC, when in the original two loco mode with active tilt, its rated for 125mph, the same as the Siemens trains we are procuring.

I just happened to notice that VIA Rail's homepage includes a photo of an LRC locomotive, a train type they haven't operated since 2001

Knipsel.JPG

Screenshot of VIA Rail homepage on 27 September 2021

HEP1 cars are limited to 90mph. HEP2 can do 100mph where the trackage allows (and provided there are no other limits).

But yes, as UrbanSky wrote, the ultimate limit is always what is lower of the equipment - either cars or the locos, as the may have different limits - or track.

Ren cars are allowed LRC speeds. And yes, there are two trainsets once again operating on the Corridor every day.

So they will be testing them between Ottawa and Montreal?
Yes.

Dan

Back