News   Apr 24, 2024
 954     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

VIA Rail

Looks like a new switch ready for installation. Located on the south side, west of the platforms.

I think Bombardier said they didnt have anything available for Via within their specs and their required availability date.

Basically Bomb wasnt selling anything that VIA wanted at the time or would fit their needs, and to engineer something from the ground up would push them out of VIA's budget and date when they need them by.

I think Bombardier said they didnt have anything available for Via within their specs and their required availability date.

Basically Bomb wasnt selling anything that VIA wanted at the time or would fit their needs, and to engineer something from the ground up would push them out of VIA's budget and date when they need them by.

Maybe I am wrong, but isn't VIA also piggybacking on an Amtrak order to get a better price?

The mayor of Sarnia & Strathroy have a valid point...………..who is going to get up at 4am to take the only train and then wait till midnight to get back? This, amongst other things is what killed the Victoria/Nanaimo/Comox run in BC. It ran once a day and left Victoria in the morning which was beyond stupid as it was then completely useless to people going to Victoria for the day.

It maybe hard for Torontonians to get their heads around but not everybody is heading to Toronto especially from the smaller markets. They are often headed towards London for medical/educational/social/entertainment needs and this level of service is completely useless even for Strathroy commuters.. VIA should either greatly improve the service to make it relevant or simply scrape it altogether.

It’s easy to wring hands post-hoc about going to the US for new trains. I wonder how the NAFTA renegotiations (which were going on at the time) might have played out, had Canada applied a made in Canada policy when doing the deal for these. It would have flown in the face of Canada’s pro trade stance. Some things cut both ways.
Now, is the NDP prepared to cancel the Challenger order (no doubt paying penalties) and rebid within Canada?
I didn’t think so. Just a lot of coulda, shoulda, woulda.
- Paul

He probably just wants their votes. And then the project will be quietly abandoned after the election, just like with Wynne's high speed rail to London.
If Wynne had built that HSR to London, Ford would have privatized it by now. I feel that passenger rail outside of GO is doomed in this province.

If Wynne had built that HSR to London, Ford would have privatized it by now. I feel that passenger rail outside of GO is doomed in this province.

I don't think privatization of a rail corridor is really a bad idea if it runs at a profit. The Chuo Shinkansen maglev line being built in Japan is being funded purely by JR. Sweden also is a frequently used model for how to properly privatize railways compared to their British counterparts (though working conditions are still a sticky point). Privatization gives rail companies that extra incentive to be reliable and attractive to customers given they are competing with: cars, buses and planes. Not sure how profitable HSR to London would be though, I find it hard to see that kind of routing turning a profit.

Back