News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 960     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 361     0 

VIA Rail

Given Winnipeg is where traffic splits for Chicago, I guess it makes sense (for CN) to put more capacity west of Winnipeg. Given it's the least interesting part of the trip for sightseeing I guess it's no harm if Canadian covers that part faster :)

Would it make sense to chop the Canadian at Winnipeg? By the time it gets to Toronto or Vancouver, it can be over 12 hours late. Just like how there is no train from Toronto to Halifax, by separating it up, you can have that buffer so that it might run better.

Trainset utilization is simpler if the trains run through, and these days the bulk of passengers ride through so cutting the train is less marketable.

I haven’t heard much lately about the suggestion to switch the train to a CP routing east of Winnipeg, last I heard that possibility was still alive and CP was not saying ‘impossible’, but there were plenty of things to address. CP is said to have offered to handle the train west of Winnipeg to Edmonton on its northern mainline, which has seen a lot of upgrading....but VIA didn’t bite.

- Paul

Trainset utilization is simpler if the trains run through, and these days the bulk of passengers ride through so cutting the train is less marketable.

I haven’t heard much lately about the suggestion to switch the train to a CP routing east of Winnipeg, last I heard that possibility was still alive and CP was not saying ‘impossible’, but there were plenty of things to address. CP is said to have offered to handle the train west of Winnipeg to Edmonton on its northern mainline, which has seen a lot of upgrading....but VIA didn’t bite.

- Paul

Look at it this way, if it is scheduled to arrive and leave Winnipeg 12-24 hours apart, then it can be more on time as the train can run late and enter Winnipeg, but now is back on time heading out of Winnipeg.

Where they really need it is Toronto to Winnipeg too. Either that, or stop running oversiding trains.

IF the Northlander is restored, I wonder if CN will demand that the province builds more passing tracks along the route it runs. The Canadian and Northlander shared some trackage, no?

Would it make sense to chop the Canadian at Winnipeg? By the time it gets to Toronto or Vancouver, it can be over 12 hours late. Just like how there is no train from Toronto to Halifax, by separating it up, you can have that buffer so that it might run better.

Look at it this way, if it is scheduled to arrive and leave Winnipeg 12-24 hours apart, then it can be more on time as the train can run late and enter Winnipeg, but now is back on time heading out of Winnipeg.

FYI:
VIA Rail said:
VIA RAIL MODIFIES THE SCHEDULE OF THE CANADIAN BETWEEN TORONTO AND VANCOUVER
Friday, June 22nd 2018

MONTREAL, June 22 2018 – Effective July 26, 2018, the schedule of the Canadian, VIA Rail Canada’s (VIA Rail) train, which travels between Toronto and Vancouver, will be modified. This important mid-season modification was necessary in order to address significant and recurring delays in recent months, and provide passengers a more predictable route, both at departure and on arrival. This change also takes into account the opportunity for passengers to see the changing Canadian landscape during the daylight hours.

Since the beginning of peak season in April, the Canadian has been subject to major delays that eventually forced the exceptional cancellation of two trips in May. This situation confirmed the necessity for VIA Rail and CN, the owner of the infrastructure, to revise the schedule. In addition, CN has begun significant work to increase the capacity of its infrastructure in Western Canada, which will improve the flow of its freight and VIA Rail passenger trains. The introduction of the new schedule was also guided by the desire to ensure that the trains pass at the best time of day for travellers to appreciate the beauty of the landscape.

“We hope that with the new schedule, as well as the important infrastructure investments by our partner CN, our travellers will experience a more predictable service, both at departure and on arrival, and a better opportunity to appreciate the greatness and beauty of our country at daylight. We appreciate CN’s support in improving the travel experience of thousands of Canadians and international tourists who, every summer, experience the trip of a lifetime by choosing to discover the vastness of Canada through a trip by rail. Just as importantly, this change will increase the reliability of schedules as sought by the various communities served along the route,” declared Yves Desjardins-Siciliano, President and Chief Executive Officer at VIA Rail.

“We continue to work closely with VIA Rail to provide their passengers with a more predictable and reliable travel experience,” said JJ Ruest, interim president and chief executive officer. “We are investing $400 million in new capacity on the busy corridors across Western Canada, used by VIA’s Canadian and the many freight trains carrying goods vital to moving our nation’s economy, to provide safe and efficient rail service.”

The modified schedules will come into effect on July 26 for train #1 from Toronto and July 27 for train #2 from Vancouver. The number of weekly departures remains the same.

Westbound schedule (train #1) as of July 26 | Departs Tuesdays, Thursdays* and Saturdays

Departs Toronto: 10PM

Arrives in Winnipeg: 8AM / Departs at 10AM

Arrives in Saskatoon: 11:20PM

Arrives in Edmonton: 8:22AM / Departs at 9:37AM

Arrives in Jasper: 4PM / Departs at 7:30PM

Arrives in Vancouver: 6PM (instead of 9:42AM) + 4 days

Eastbound schedule (train #2) as of July 27 | Departs Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays*

Departs Vancouver: 12PM

Arrives in Jasper: 8AM / Departs at 10AM

Arrives in Edmonton: 4:20PM / Departs at 5:19PM

Arrives in Saskatoon: 4:40AM

Arrives in Winnipeg: 7PM / Departs at 10:30PM

Arrives in Toronto: 2PM (instead of 9:30AM) + 4 days

* In high season only, from May to October

VIA Rail is in communication with the ticket holders for departures as of July 26th. For more information, travellers are invited to contact a sales representative by phone, by dialing 1 888 VIA-RAIL (1 888 842-7245) or 1 800 268-9503 (TTY for deaf or hard of hearing).

https://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via...june-2018-via-rail-modifies-schedule-canadian
https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/fi...8/40-41_Toronto-Winnipeg-Jasper-Vancouver.pdf
https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/fi...8/42-43_Vancouver-Japser-Winnipeg-Toronto.pdf

This only makes sense if the number of through passengers (especially in the higher fare classes) isn't significant. I suspect most passengers of that sort are end-to-end travellers and would resent having to move their belongings off one train and onto another.

IF the Northlander is restored, I wonder if CN will demand that the province builds more passing tracks along the route it runs. The Canadian and Northlander shared some trackage, no?
Hasn't the province already paid for some additional trackage at the north end of the Richmond Hill line? I remember seeing it being marked on one of the EAs, maybe for the storage yard?

Yes, the province paid to double track the line from Eglin Mills to about where it goes under the 404 - so about 12km of new track. I think it includes triple track between the new Bethesda yard and Bloomington GO as well..

Back