News   Jul 12, 2024
 405     0 

VIA Rail

Blinded by the light...weight:
Jordan Press
OTTAWA
The Canadian Press
Published 1 hour ago Updated December 26, 2017
A deadly derailment on the west coast of the United States this month underlines the need to have voice and video recorders in trains to improve safety on Canada's rail lines, the transport minister says.

An Amtrak train derailed Dec. 18 in DuPont, Wash., killing three people and injuring dozens of others when it hurtled off an overpass and onto the highway below on its first trip.

Transport Minister Marc Garneau wants to see the video recorders on that train put on locomotives running in Canada and he's also open to adding them to airplanes as well.

"I support anything that will help us to improve safety and improve our understanding of any accident that occurs," Garneau said.

"There is, in my mind, still significant progress to be made with respect to rail safety and the same applies to all modes of transportation. The more information we have, the more important it is." [...]
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...in-trains-after-amtrak-crash/article37428029/

The elephant in the room is on rails: PTC.

How can Garneau state what he has without mentioning the bog obvious? PTC.

How can Garneau state what he has without mentioning the bog obvious? PTC.

Simple. This is about politics, not technology. Nobody is fighting a political battle to oppose federally-directed PTC. Whereas, unions and others are fighting the government's efforts to implement inward facing cameras. This is not Garneau announcing an integrated strategy to make trains safer. It's just Garneau seizing a ripe opportunity to bolster the public pressure for something the government has been working towards.

Perversely, if Garneau announced support for PTC, he could be weakening the government's position on cameras, at least in the eyes of the average voter.

- Paul

Unfortunately, the wider media have been describing a train travelling at 79 mph as "high speed rail".

There's one born every minute.

- Paul
In all fairness to the Globe, they've published a number of excellent articles on VIA some months back, but if you read the reader comments, it's obvious the articles were by and large wasted on a readership, other than nerds like us, that misses it.

Transport Canada reviewing studies on multibillion-dollar Via Rail
What to do with Via Rail? Ottawa weighs ... - The Globe and Mail
Is pumping billions in taxpayer money into Via Rail a good idea?

Garneau is being a ghoul, and that's putting it kindly. While the US press is transfixed on the PTC issue, and why it wasn't 'switched on' VIA hasn't got any to begin with! (Contrary to a series of abject TSB reports). Amtrak is close to having it on its entire system.

I'm a little livid, to say the least, with Garneau. I thought he was just being shy on matters, but now we realize he's a puppet without a will or mind of his own.

Addendum:
Ottawa to consult rail industry on safety recommendations, Garneau says
Eric Atkins
RAILWAY INDUSTRY REPORTER
TORONTO
Published April 27, 2016 Updated March 24, 2017

The federal government will consult with industry stakeholders before deciding whether to require railways to install fail-safe train controls, even as carriers in the United States work toward a 2020 deadline to begin using the technology that Canada's transportation investigator says saves lives.

Marc Garneau, Canada's Transport Minister, said he will hold discussions with stakeholders before acting on any of the 60 recommendations made in a review of the country's transportation laws commissioned by the previous government.

The recommendations include requiring tougher tank car standards for certain dangerous goods, installing in-train video and voice recorders, and taking steps to adopt positive train control (PTC), which can override mistakes by train and track crews. The technology can automatically slow or stop a train in danger of a head-on collision with another train, if a track switch is aligned incorrectly or a train is travelling too fast.

Canada's rail investigator, the Transportation Safety Board, said the technology would have prevented the 2012 derailment of a Via Rail passenger train in Burlington, Ont. The train entered a crossover track at 67 miles an hour (108 kilometres an hour), exceeding the speed limit of 15 miles an hour, derailed and struck a building. Three crew members died and 45 people were injured.

The review of Canada's transportation laws written by former cabinet minister David Emerson echoed the board's call for the new system, and urged Ottawa to harmonize its rail safety regime with that of the United States. "The absence of a clear public declaration about how and when similar technologies (PTC, in-cab video and voice recorders) will be implemented in Canada may be viewed as placing insufficient priority on the safety of Canadians and Canadian communities," the report said.

Mr. Garneau told The Globe and Mail the amount of goods crossing the border by rail means it makes sense to have similar safety standards, but that it might not be necessary to mirror U.S. laws. "We look at these things all the time. … I'm not going to give any predictions but we're always looking for technology to ensure our train systems are as safe as possible," Mr. Garneau said, without elaborating. "We each have to make our final decisions. … We don't have to be identical on everything; as much as possible, we try to."

The United States passed a law requiring passenger railways and carriers of certain dangerous goods to begin developing and installing positive train control after 25 people died in a collision between two trains in 2008. U.S. lawmakers have extended the deadline at least twice, to 2020, after railways – including both Canadian railways that operate in the United States – complained the technology is expensive and difficult to implement.
[...]
Mark Winfield, a professor at York University and an expert on railway safety policy, said Canada's lagging safety rules are a sign the self-regulating regime needs to changed.

"It is a bit odd that the U.S. has moved forward on these things and we're not – even more so given how integrated the two railway systems are," he said by phone. "Especially in light of Lac-Mégantic and other events, this would have been potentially helpful. It seems we're just being overly sympathetic to the railways when they complain about costs."
[...]
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rep...fety-recommendations-garneau/article29777555/

Fortunately for Garneau, the House is in recess right now. Even the Cons would have seized on his weasel words. Apologies to weasels...

Last edited:
By Canada's mediocre standards, that's high speed rail!

No it isn't. At least 5 of the GO lines (possibly all of them but I'm not sure) have speed limits higher than that, and a pretty decent proportion of the VIA Corridor is 95 mph.

Over the holidays I have made an effort to rack up some quality couch time. I have been able to sit and Netflix-binge with the laptop running while I am watching or reading. It's actually interesting watching the live Via Map, which updates every couple of minutes.
The discovery I have made is that VIA's headways are now so frequent east of Toronto that if any train falls back by a good amount (as some trains certainly have thanks to cold weather and holiday crowds) it creates a bunching scenario, just like Toronto streetcars.
This morning trains 60/50 did not run as a J-train, and ran 2-3 hours late, one behind the other. That piled up train 62/52 behind it, and the next one (40?) gradually caught up as the fleet racked up a few delays en route. At some key locations - Oshawa and Belleville being two very obvious choke points - it was a "wait your turn" proposition to get through the depot, especially with CN freights to dodge.
The number of delayed trains is troubling but it's a revelation to me just how frequently they run, and what that means operationally.

- Paul

Last edited:
Over the holidays I have made an effort to rack up some quality couch time. I have been able to sit and Netflix-binge with the laptop running while I am watching or reading. It's actually interesting watching the live Via Map, which updates every couple of minutes.
The discovery I have made is that VIA's headways are now so frequent east of Toronto that if any train falls back by a good amount (as some trains certainly have thanks to cold weather and holiday crowds) it creates a bunching scenario, just like Toronto streetcars.
This morning trains 60/50 did not run as a J-train, and ran 2-3 hours late, one behind the other. That piled up train 62/52 behind it, and the next one (40?) gradually caught up as the fleet racked up a few delays en route. At some key locations - Oshawa and Belleville being two very obvious choke points - it was a "wait your turn" proposition to get through the depot, especially with CN freights to dodge.
The number of delayed trains is but it's a revelation to me just how frequently they run, and what that means operationally.

- Paul
The number of late trains and how late some of them are is truly astonishing. Some of them at the moment are literally 3 hours late. For a 5 hour trip that's brutal. To compare, the only other intercity corridor on that map that seems to operate with higher frequencies is the US Northeast Corridor. And almost all of the trains there are on time. Via getting its own route between Toronto and Montreal can't come soon enough.

Here is the situation as I type. Eastbounds 44, 644, and 42 all trying to get to Ottawa against the westbounds, on single track. 46, 66, 65, and 645 all converging on Belleville. Can't fault CN, their freights have been taking delays at Belleville also.

A full house.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 5.30.54 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 5.30.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 5.30.54 PM.png
    330.1 KB · Views: 312
A separated corridor isn't going to do a lick of difference when your trains are suffering issues from the weather.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
We have trains to Churchill (once the flood damage is fixed), which is much colder than here. Trains are the lifeblood of Siberia. They have bullet trains in Manchuria of all places. I think we can figure out how to run a reasonably frequent and reliable rail service in a climate that's much more moderate than any of those places. It's not rocket science.

By all accounts, the vast majority of Via's delays are related to freight trains.

We have trains to Churchill (once the flood damage is fixed), which is much colder than here. Trains are the lifeblood of Siberia. They have bullet trains in Manchuria of all places. I think we can figure out how to run a reasonably frequent and reliable rail service in a climate that's much more moderate than any of those places. It's not rocket science.

By all accounts, the vast majority of Via's delays are related to freight trains.

I wonder what would happen if the government made a law that passenger trains cannot be held up by freight trains. The freight operators would throw a hissy fit.

Freight train traffic (and dispatching that favours them over VIA), followed by track incidents - collisions, trespassers, etc., and then fleet/mechanical issues (VIA needs a new fleet of passenger cars badly, and new locomotives as well), then other problems, like signal failures and frozen switches.

I wonder what would happen if the government made a law that passenger trains cannot be held up by freight trains. The freight operators would throw a hissy fit.

The answer to that is pretty simple; intercity passenger trains in Canada would cease to exist because VIA would be unable to pay the new trackage fees.

Last edited:

Back